Author Topic: Spell idea...  (Read 3013 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Spell idea...
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
I thought it would be cool to have a spell/feat/PrC that turns a creature into a sword (or any weapon, really) which can be wielded by a larger character. For instance, a halfling could turn into a greatsword for a human, or a longsword for an ogre.

How could this be made decent without being overpowered, or making the sword-man's normal abilities meaningless (a la Wild Shape), or encouraging PCs to turn a bunch of low-level NPCs into an armoury? I was thinking of something like a more limited version of the fusion power - maybe someone wielding a sword-man with Weapon Focus (sword) gains Weapon Focus (sword-man) as a bonus feat? Maybe one character's strength modifier is added as a bonus to the other character's Str score?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Spell idea...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Weaponshape
Transmutation (Polymorph)
Level: Wizard/Sorc 5, Duskblade 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Focus: A Masterwork weapon you are proficient with.

You transform the target into a magical version of the focus component for this spell. This works as the Greater Magic Weapon spell, but the resulting weapon also gains a number of weapon properties whose total enhancement does not exceed +1/5HD the target creature possesses (to a maximum of +5). Further, the resulting weapon is an Intelligent Item, with the Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores it normally possesses. If the target's combined Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are at least 34 the weapon gains Communication, Capabilities, and Senses as outlined by Table 7-30 on pg 269 of the DMG. For every two points the target's combined scores are higher than that it gains more and more powerful Communications, Capabilities, and Senses (as if for higher rolls). You may use this spell on a willing target, and if you do, it need not make a saving throw, and may free itself from the effect of this spell as a free action. You may attempt to stop this by succeeding a Will save against the weapon's Ego score. The weapon may act on its own to activate it's capabilities using it's own set of actions (1 swift and 1 standard action per round), which you can again prevent by succeeding on a Will save against the weapon's Ego. If you cast this spell on a target that is already effected, the target must save against the spell a second time, and if it fails the effect becomes permanent. A Break Enchantment effect can return the creature to normal.

(am I missing anything?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:56:51 PM by bkdubs123 »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
(am I missing anything?)
Yes.

Weaponshape
Transmutation (Polymorph)
[...]
The weapon may act on its own to activate it's capabilities using it's own set of actions (1 swift and 1 standard action per round)
Since spells with the polymorph descriptor cause you to lose your class features unless specified otherwise, there's not much it can do.

What about a variant that turns someone into a staff? :D
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
Since spells with the polymorph descriptor cause you to lose your class features unless specified otherwise, there's not much it can do.

I'm pretty sure spell-like abilities granted through becoming an Intelligent Item don't qualify as class features. Just my assumption, but it's also true.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure spell-like abilities granted through becoming an Intelligent Item don't qualify as class features. Just my assumption, but it's also true.
However, you do not state that a transformed character gains any such abilities, or how many they get.
My work

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:06 PM »
I think the main question is what real benefit does the character becoming the weapon get, other than not being able to use its own class abilities that it's spent as much time gaining as the weapon-wielder? What is going to motivate a rogue to give up its sneak attack, or a wizard to give up their spells? Usually it's going to be more beneficial to just have an extra character in the party.

Unless this is for a very specific game or purpose that was not mentioned?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

However, you do not state that a transformed character gains any such abilities, or how many they get.

I tried to, but perhaps it didn't work. Maybe if I just add, "refer to Table 7-30 on DMG pg 269...?" The idea is that since they keep their Int/Wis/Cha the weapon gains abilities as an Intelligent item with corresponding ability scores... ah, but I see the problem now. Yep, I'll fix it here soon.

@Venn: The real use of the spell is NOT to use it on your party mates. You could, and yes you're right, most of the time it wouldn't be a very good use of that character's time, but you can also use it on bystanders or even your foes.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
I expect to at least, gain temporary access to the target's class features with this, possibly allowing the transformed guy to share maneuvers and feats with you, and casting spells/using boosts/manifesting powers with their own actions.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
I expect to at least, gain temporary access to the target's class features with this, possibly allowing the transformed guy to share maneuvers and feats with you, and casting spells/using boosts/manifesting powers with their own actions.

It would probably need to be a higher level spell for that, and it would make it more powerful to use with allied spellcasters/manifesters than with any other characters.

Edited the spell, I think it works correctly now.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
Well, my basis, for an effect of similar 'cost'(the temporary loss of a character), it should have a comparable effect.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
Well, my basis, for an effect of similar 'cost'(the temporary loss of a character), it should have a comparable effect.

Well, do you want the spell only to be usable on willing targets, because if not, again, you can use it on your foes to deny them actions and gain a more powerful weapon.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
True, it could be, at that. The closest existing power to it is Fusion anyway.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
Hmm, using such a spell on your foes would indeed be a pretty good use, though you'd get the most out of it by casting Charm/Dominate on an enemy with a high int/cha score, and give said weapon to the party brute. The problem there is that the ones that would get you SLAs and such would be harder to overcome as far as Will saves and Ego scores if you do get the casting right on them.

I could actually see this working as a PrC focused on capturing enemies to fuel a magical weapon class-ability.

Maybe capture enemies into the sword/weapon a number of rounds equal to PrC level + Cha modifier rounds, gain a flat enhancement modifier plus special ability based on the highest ability score of the enemy contained in the weapon. You can hold a number of enemies in the weapon equal to 1/2 class level (minimum 1), etc. etc.

I don't know, maybe something along those lines.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
Hmm, using such a spell on your foes would indeed be a pretty good use, though you'd get the most out of it by casting Charm/Dominate on an enemy with a high int/cha score, and give said weapon to the party brute. The problem there is that the ones that would get you SLAs and such would be harder to overcome as far as Will saves and Ego scores if you do get the casting right on them.

Yes, true, but I thought it was a good balancing factor and something to keep the spell interesting.

I could actually see this working as a PrC focused on capturing enemies to fuel a magical weapon class-ability.

Maybe capture enemies into the sword/weapon a number of rounds equal to PrC level + Cha modifier rounds, gain a flat enhancement modifier plus special ability based on the highest ability score of the enemy contained in the weapon. You can hold a number of enemies in the weapon equal to 1/2 class level (minimum 1), etc. etc.

I don't know, maybe something along those lines.

Now this does sound interesting. Might even be able to be a base class... some strange form of "Binder."

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 10:01:57 PM »
Once the oscars are over, I may have to try writing something up for it. :D
------------Edit---------------

Ok, so I've written up a base class based on these principles. I'll finish formatting and posting it when I get home from work tonight.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:45:52 PM by VennDygrem »