Author Topic: Midnight_v's Endless Avalanche.  (Read 2728 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Midnight_v's Endless Avalanche.
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »
Edit: I think destruction domain might be a better answer than using the unknowns.

Okay maybe this ones been done, and there are a couple factors keeping me from varifying this right this sec.
but I was looking at the Magic of Incarnum and I saw necrocarnum shroud.
This says whenever a living creature is damaged while adjacent to you: gain +1 to hit & +1 to damage till the end of the turn...
Hmm... Okay.
Sweeping strike: the 5th level power from warmind says... Apply all your attacks evenly towards 2 adjacent squares. Okay.
So... Standing next to two living creatures we ...
Avalanche of blades essentially lowering that upkeep to -2 each attack.
Lastly doesn't "Crushing strike" from the phb2 do the same thing?
So if it does work the same then potentially, the penalty for avalanche of blades can be negated if you attack two ajacent living critters.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I have little knowledge of how incarnum works, and I'm away from book on the Phb 2, so I apologize in if this is a false start. Still the combo should look like.
Necrocarnum Shroud + Crushing strike + Sweeping Strike + Avalanche blades = Unending Avalanche.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
M_v
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:26:53 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
Re: New Combo... I think?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:25:25 PM »
Hmm... I realized something else even without one or the other... the "Destruction Devotion" from the complete champion would have an addative effect if used.
Id does the same but it wears away at ac (-1 initially , but at lvl 10 it becomes -2)
...I should get some sleep...  ???
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Midnight_v's Endless Avalanche.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:30:27 PM »
blood in the water what?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Destruction Devotion caps at something.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »
I think a big problem with this is that the bonuses you gain from Necrocarnum Shroud are incremented individually. Since they are profane bonuses, each +1 would overlap, leaving you with a net bonus of +1. It's poorly worded, but that's the only way I can see to read the ability. Unless your DM ruled otherwise, that right there would stop the "endless" part of the avalanche, unfortunately.

Destruction Devotion can't reduce your opponent's AC bonus or natural armor bonus to less than 0, so it doesn't lend itself to an infinite chain, but it does let you go for awhile (most creatures have a lot of natural armor, and at least some use armor as well).

Of course, an item of permanent sadism would allow you to do an endless avalanche, assuming you can hit with the first blow and do more than 40 damage per hit.

Crushing Strike requires that you use a full attack action, which precludes the use of Avalanche of Blades.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:39:12 AM »
The way I read Necrocarnum Shroud, I don't think it stacks either.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:19:10 AM »
Another thing that isn't infinite, but would help you go longer is Strength of my Enemy power in XPH/SRD.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
I think a big problem with this is that the bonuses you gain from Necrocarnum Shroud are incremented individually. Since they are profane bonuses, each +1 would overlap, leaving you with a net bonus of +1. It's poorly worded, but that's the only way I can see to read the ability. Unless your DM ruled otherwise, that right there would stop the "endless" part of the avalanche, unfortunately.

Destruction Devotion can't reduce your opponent's AC bonus or natural armor bonus to less than 0, so it doesn't lend itself to an infinite chain, but it does let you go for awhile (most creatures have a lot of natural armor, and at least some use armor as well).

Of course, an item of permanent sadism would allow you to do an endless avalanche, assuming you can hit with the first blow and do more than 40 damage per hit.

Crushing Strike requires that you use a full attack action, which precludes the use of Avalanche of Blades.
Hmm... that doesn't make much sense but I suppose if thats the general consensus. *Shrug* so be it!
 "It does not stack."
Kinda shitty though.
Thanks for looking up crushing strike no phb2 was on hand.
The stacking of destruction domain + strength of my enemy + sweeping strike is interesting though.
*still though* I've yet to complete the loop.  :( -Damn

In the end you only have to get a stackable +4 to every hit...
Really that seems like It should be attainable.
The destruction domain eats through both armor + natural armor huh. Thats a lot of critters.
I feel as though you need to get 8 attacks from it to make it worth while.
I don't think sadism works for some reason...I'd have to look that up. I think you get the benifits of it the next round or something.
Blood in the water? Doesn't that work off criticals?

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »
I did post a combo in the Fighter's Handbook that I don't think ever got into the main post of that thread that's similar.  Very similar to bag-o-rats trick. EDIT: Yes, Blood in the Water works off of crits.

Great Cleave (PHB, feat) + Martial Stance: Blood in the Water (ToB, feat, L1) + Crushing Blow (PHB2, feat) + bludgeoning Impact weapon (MIC, item, +1) + bag o' rats + : Kill tons of rats with Great Cleave using your first iterative attack, getting +1 to hit for every rat you kill, and about a 9% chance that you get another +1 to hit and damage for each one you kill, and follow it up with a schmack down on your follow-up attacks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:14:32 PM by jameswilliamogle »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
I did post a combo in the Fighter's Handbook that I don't think ever got into the main post of that thread that's similar.  Very similar to bag-o-rats trick. EDIT: Yes, Blood in the Water works off of crits.

Great Cleave (PHB, feat) + Martial Stance: Blood in the Water (ToB, feat, L1) + Crushing Blow (PHB2, feat) + bludgeoning Impact weapon (MIC, item, +1) + bag o' rats + : Kill tons of rats with Great Cleave using your first iterative attack, getting +1 to hit for every rat you kill, and about a 9% chance that you get another +1 to hit and damage for each one you kill, and follow it up with a schmack down on your follow-up attacks.
Hmm... thats...
uhm.
Yeah, not so much where I was looking to head with this.
I tried... how sad.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 03:39:20 PM »
Hmm, without having read the ability... I disagree about it not stacking. BUT we're in RAI country, now, as soon as it doesn't say "cumulative", the magic word for stacking abilities in D&D.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
The reason Necrocarnum Shroud doesn't work for this is because of the wording. You gain a +1 profane bonus to attack and damage rolls each time a creature adjacent (or within 5 ft. + 5 ft./essentia) is damaged. Unfortunately, each of these +1 bonuses is earned individually, so you wind up with a whole mess of +1 profane bonuses. Since bonuses of the same type (other than Dodge and circumstance) don't stack, you still only have a +1 profane bonus to attack and damage rolls. It's stupid, but that's how the ability is written.

Destruction Devotion doesn't reduce both armor and natural armor at the same time. The oppoonent gets to choose which type to have reduced. If they get dropped to 0 in one category, they have to reduce the other until both are at 0. You still only dish out -2 AC per attack.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:11 PM »
The reason Necrocarnum Shroud doesn't work for this is because of the wording. You gain a +1 profane bonus to attack and damage rolls each time a creature adjacent (or within 5 ft. + 5 ft./essentia) is damaged. Unfortunately, each of these +1 bonuses is earned individually, so you wind up with a whole mess of +1 profane bonuses. Since bonuses of the same type (other than Dodge and circumstance) don't stack, you still only have a +1 profane bonus to attack and damage rolls. It's stupid, but that's how the ability is written.

Destruction Devotion doesn't reduce both armor and natural armor at the same time. The oppoonent gets to choose which type to have reduced. If they get dropped to 0 in one category, they have to reduce the other until both are at 0. You still only dish out -2 AC per attack.
The destruction domain actually works better for this trick then. Since it goes through both types of armor reducing one to 0 then the other. Sadly that still puts us 2 points behind avalanche of blades. Add strength of my enemy + sweeping strike would but us at basically +3 cumulative per to hit perhit "vs two critters" assuming whatever we're killing has a partner. Hmmm... so sadly with the loss of the shroud stacking... still 1 behind AoB

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »
Edit: I think destruction domain might be a better answer than using the unknowns.

Okay maybe this ones been done, and there are a couple factors keeping me from varifying this right this sec.
but I was looking at the Magic of Incarnum and I saw necrocarnum shroud.
This says whenever a living creature is damaged while adjacent to you: gain +1 to hit & +1 to damage till the end of the turn...
Hmm... Okay.
Sweeping strike: the 5th level power from warmind says... Apply all your attacks evenly towards 2 adjacent squares. Okay.
So... Standing next to two living creatures we ...
Avalanche of blades essentially lowering that upkeep to -2 each attack.
Lastly doesn't "Crushing strike" from the phb2 do the same thing?
So if it does work the same then potentially, the penalty for avalanche of blades can be negated if you attack two ajacent living critters.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I have little knowledge of how incarnum works, and I'm away from book on the Phb 2, so I apologize in if this is a false start. Still the combo should look like.
Necrocarnum Shroud + Crushing strike + Sweeping Strike + Avalanche blades = Unending Avalanche.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
M_v

Get a bottle of pure alcohol and drop it as a free action to disinfect the ground around you. I'm sure you'll kill a generous amount of bacterium with that.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
 ???
 :twitch
 :lol

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »
Get a bottle of pure alcohol and drop it as a free action to disinfect the ground around you. I'm sure you'll kill a generous amount of bacterium with that.

Did you by any chance read my comments on the polymorph thread?

Anyway, hilarious idea.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »
No. I will check it out now though.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.