Author Topic: How can you maximize a magelord?  (Read 12226 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: How can you maximize a magelord?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Yeah, on second thought I'll concede that argument. 

With that said, any suggestions on improvements to Nanshork's 5/5/10 build? 

It would be nice to find a useful feat that goes along with the dodge and mobility feats that the character already picked up, though only the 12th/15th/18th level slots are open (and taking spell mastery at least once would be a good idea).  Another way to get heal as a class skill besides glimmerskin halfling would also be good, as would completing the prereqs without any flaws.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 11:30:03 AM »
Magelord seems like an awful PrC though...Spell Mastery is a truly pointless feat in most games (and I suspect it almost encourages DMs to steal the PC's spellbook, just so the feat gets some use...), and the PrC seems determined to turn the character into a sorcerer with some sneak attack thrown in on the side.

Uncanny Forethought, Exemplars of Evil, page 26. A useful reason to have Spell Mastery.

Granted, the feat and the prestige class are kind of stepping on each other's toes all over the place, but...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »
Magelord seems like an awful PrC though...Spell Mastery is a truly pointless feat in most games (and I suspect it almost encourages DMs to steal the PC's spellbook, just so the feat gets some use...), and the PrC seems determined to turn the character into a sorcerer with some sneak attack thrown in on the side.

Uncanny Forethought, Exemplars of Evil, page 26. A useful reason to have Spell Mastery.

Granted, the feat and the prestige class are kind of stepping on each other's toes all over the place, but...

Yeah, that feat is pretty much all kinds of broken.

For example, if summoning is a signature spell, it only takes a standard action to use it.

UNCANNY FORETHOUGHT feat
As a standard action, you can use one of the "uncanny forethought" slots to cast a Spell Masteryed spell that could have been prepared.

Alone, that's kinda nice.  The second part is even better.

As a full-round action, you can use a "uncanny forethought" slot to cast any spell you know (subject to level limits).   Your CL drops by two for spells cast in that way, but...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:43:21 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
Uncanny Forethought... Fuuuuuuuuuuck.  I never noticed that feat.  Yikes.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 09:44:27 PM »
Oh, that's very nice. Spontaneous Divination, Spell Mastery with a bunch of other stuff, and you have a wizard who almost casts like a sorcerer. Not to mention the ability to cut the casting times for spells down to a standard action.

Needs errata.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 03:39:51 AM »
Oh, that's very nice. Spontaneous Divination, Spell Mastery with a bunch of other stuff, and you have a wizard who almost casts like a sorcerer. Not to mention the ability to cut the casting times for spells down to a standard action.

Needs errata.

Heck, there are spells with greater casting times that you can cut down to a full round action....

Dunno how good something like antipathy or simulacrum is in combat, but I'm sure someone could find a use for it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 06:19:02 AM »
Well, geas/quest comes to mind (10 min casting time).  It's like charm monster, but without a saving throw ;)  The CL hit won't even matter for it most of the time.

I like it though...that feat alone almost saves the PrC.