Author Topic: Advice needed! Binder discussion  (Read 2285 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Advice needed! Binder discussion
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:31:02 AM »
So, there's no binder handbook here. I'm reading through the binder books on 339, but I was wondering if there were any more "from the trenches" reports of using binders in various campaigns that I should know about. It seems like binders have the chance to be the Last Class You Ever Play, with their flexibility and power you might never need to make another kind of character, but whatever. I'm particularly looking at combat binders rather than social ones, although uses of expel vestige or vestige phylacteries (or just 24 hours of waiting) can transform you a bit. Any advice is welcome.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
Re: Advice needed! Binder discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:38:26 AM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.0

The formatting is from 339, but it is still a great resource
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:45:39 AM »
Huh, I thought I looked through the handbook subforum and didn't find anything binderiffic. Thanks. Must be a case of refrigerator blindness.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »
There's a few ways to build a combat Binder.  None of these sets your "combat role" in stone, though:

Charging: Pounce, Shocktrooper, Leap Attack, etc.
Commentary: The main schtick to remember in this one is that Chupoclops and Pounce combines great with Power Attack and Shocktrooper.  Using Orthos or Otiax for miss chance and Halphax or Ashdarlon for DR 10 afterwards is a great way to mitigate your (now) low AC.  Combines very well with the natural attack vestiges.

Disabling: TWF tree, Improved Disarm OR EWP, Imp Trip, etc
Commentary: For a full-disabler, I like using Ronove, Zagan, and Chupoclops in order to get maximum usage out of the Imp. Disarm feats (if you're unarmed, you get to wield the thing you just disarmed, which is cool).  Imp. trip is good; everyone I think recognizes that - you won't be as focused (or as good) as a Fighter-based build.  Another route to go is to use Improved Sunder with Aym for double object damage (you know, to really ensure that you never have good loot).

Tank: Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Active Shield Defense, Combat Reflexes, etc (a few routes to do this)
Commentary: Savnok is THE tank vestige, Buer can help with healing, Halphax gives DR 10 / adamantine and can help with retreating, and Haures gives Mindblank (mainly).

Skirmisher: Combat Expertise, Deadly Defense, EWP: Broadblade (optional), TWF tree (optional), fey-craft weapon, Shadow Blade
Commentary: Use Paimon's Dance with Deadly Defense and Dex-to-Damage methods to get lots of bonus damage against a bunch of individual targets.  Combines very well with a Scout and Swordsage dip.

Mounted: no feats really necessary, just vestiges
Commentary: Use Andras, Eligor, probably Chupoclops to combine Pounce with Smite and Spirited Charge and Ride-by Attack

So, you've got lots of options.  These are the main ways I've seen / worked on.  Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:39:29 AM by jameswilliamogle »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:49:57 AM »
I like to combine Chupoclops with Tenebrous. You get a mild miss chance, you get the Flicker mystery useable 3/day, you get infinite turn undeads (which are great against undead, coincidentally), and you have a "poison bite" attack.

After those two, Focalor is a good choice due to his aura of sadness, or maybe the one that grants displacement.

Also, a Binder scout is surprisingly good. At high levels once you can bind malphas (the one that makes you invisible, if that's not his real name) and Marchosias, you're a great assasin. You've got sudden strike, Death attack, Smoke Form, Invisibility... You're pretty much invincible to normal enemies, making you an excellent scout. Combine with Chupoclops (who, to me, is the most useful and versatile vestige ever ever), and you add etherealness to that, so you are mostly unhittable.

Probably would be good if you did this to have a Factotum dip (unless you're going to go to level 20), because it's a BITCH to get enough skillpoints and/or trapfinding, if you're covering those roles.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
Just to clarify: Chupoclops is the most generally useful book supported vestige; Zceryll is the best vestige overall (since summons have SLAs that can trump a lot of the other vestige's abilities).

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
Do we have a consensus on the infinite turn undead thing, woodenbandman? Some fairly hard evidence would be nice but I understand a consensus is sometimes all the can be managed...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
It's simply stated that you can use it with 5 round intervals, like a lot of Binder abilities. There is no daily limit given.

It's not so bad, really, it can't be used to fuel DMM because you can only use one turn attempt every couple of rounds.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
where is Zceryll from anyways?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »
Web enhancement.
IIRC there's a link in the Binder handbook.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »
Web enhancement.
IIRC there's a link in the Binder handbook.
It is incredibly stong

Good for me cuz I am going to be a Binder :D

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
It's simply stated that you can use it with 5 round intervals, like a lot of Binder abilities. There is no daily limit given.

It's not so bad, really, it can't be used to fuel DMM because you can only use one turn attempt every couple of rounds.
Still really nice for Divine Shield et al (the one that gives temp HP is particularly strong, imo).  But I agree - Tenebrous never really gives you daily turn undead uses.