Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2  (Read 137205 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
The last thread got over 100 pages. So it's time for a new thread.

Here's the last unanswered question I saw.
Q 704: Potential players of my Mythic Sagas game, please refrain from reading (it won't ruin a specific plot point or anything; I just want some aspects of the world to be revealed to you in specific ways later in the campaign)

[spoiler=The question]Suppose a fiend has been bound in a Hedged Prison (as per the binding spell).  Binding dictates that a the target cannot wander from the hedged prison "by any means."  The possession ability of some fiends (as per Fiendish Codex I [or ECS]) allows them to "hide" within a possessed creature, and as such can pass through a magic circle against evil, enter an area under effect of forbiddance, or prevent detection via a detection spell.

If a creature entered the bound fiend's hedged prison, and was therein possessed by the incorporeal fiend, could the fiend "hide" inside the possessed creature, and thereby cross the boundaries of its hedged prison?  I'm guessing not, but wanted to make sure.[/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
Q705: why is this needed?  Let the other thread grow to whatever size it gets to.  Are we trying to save milliseconds on a database query?  It's indexed anyway so it will be fast.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
A705. It was decided a long time ago that threads of a certain size would be locked and restarted. I believe the magic number is over 50 pages... It causes a strain on the server, iirc. There was also mention of the general 'clutter-y' feel it gives the forum. It should have been restarted a while ago, actually..
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
A705.5: Also because the number of pages in the old thread was the number of Dalmations in that movie, and we wanted to keep it that way. :P

(Okay, yeah, this post was primarily so I receive updates on this thread. Sorry.)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
Intro
The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catch-all for D&D 3.5's minor questions or mundane rules queries that don't warrant a new thread.  If you have a more detailed question about a character build or certain rules, make a new thread.

Threads that are effectively "Thanks!" or "Screw you!" don't belong here.  If you feel strongly about another board member, send a private message.

Formatting Guidelines
Q#
This signifies a question.  Ensure you use a number higher than and different from the previous questions.  Use blue so we can quickly distinguish questions from answers.  ([ b ][ color=blue ] Q# [ /color ][ /b ] minus the spaces.)

A#
This signifies an answer.  Ensure you answer the appropriate question, including the questioner's name if appropriate.  Use red so we can quickly distinguish questions from answers.  ([ b ][ color=red ] Q# [ /color ][ /b ] minus the spaces.)

Commence Questioning!
Q1
How awesome is character optimization?

A1
Very awesome.  "Totally awesome," while also correct, is probably overenthusiastic.

Q2
If I have a template such as Dragonborn (Races of the Dragon 8) that gives me a racial bonus to a skill, do I lose this racial skill bonus when I polymorph or Wild Shape into another creature?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:54 PM »
I'm guessing you didn't see the new one already, Endarire. ;)
I do like the coloring system, but it increases posting time, so I think sticking to bold will work better.

A2: You lose the racial bonus of your original form, including racial skill bonuses due to templates.

Q3: Originally posted by ksbsnowowl

Q 704: Potential players of my Mythic Sagas game, please refrain from reading (it won't ruin a specific plot point or anything; I just want some aspects of the world to be revealed to you in specific ways later in the campaign)

[spoiler=The question]Suppose a fiend has been bound in a Hedged Prison (as per the binding spell).  Binding dictates that a the target cannot wander from the hedged prison "by any means."  The possession ability of some fiends (as per Fiendish Codex I [or ECS]) allows them to "hide" within a possessed creature, and as such can pass through a magic circle against evil, enter an area under effect of forbiddance, or prevent detection via a detection spell.

If a creature entered the bound fiend's hedged prison, and was therein possessed by the incorporeal fiend, could the fiend "hide" inside the possessed creature, and thereby cross the boundaries of its hedged prison?  I'm guessing not, but wanted to make sure.[/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »
Pardon the double post, but I figured I'd go ahead and answer the question...

A3: Yes, it could "hide," but no, the hiding would not allow it to pass that barrier.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »
Q4
I heard there was a third party sourcebook with a class that allowed members, at level 1, to use UMD as an INT- instead of a CHA-based skill.  What's the class name and where's it found?

Q5 (Edited In)
I heard of Psycarnum or somesuch in conjuction with getting free metamatic feat applications.  What feats do I need to spontaneously apply a metamagic feat of +4 or less for free?

A5 (Edited In)
You need a power point reserve via a psionic race, class, or Wild Talent.  Magic of Incarnum 39-40 has the feats Midnight Metamagic and Psycarnum Infusion.  Use Psycarnum Infusion to spend your psionic focus and emulate Midnight Metamagic on any metamagic feat.  Recover your psionic focus as prudent.  Psionic Meditation is handy here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:59:15 AM by Endarire »

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
Q6: I'm a Swift Hunter with an aptitude longbow. Assuming I have the Crossbow Sniper feat, can I use it with the aptitude enhancement to add half my Dex mod to damage and do precision damage at 60 feet?

Q6a: Similarly, could I use an aptitude crossbow to take advantage of the longbow archery feats?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:23:31 PM by Silent Wayfarer »

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 11:25:04 PM »
A6 and A6a: If the aptitude enhancement works with, say, Lightning Mace and kukris, it should work here, though YMMV.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:20:01 AM »
Q7
Is there an official way to be able to use Up the Walls as a Dragonborn (Races of the Dragon 10), a psionic feat requiring a psionic focus and power point reserve, without Wild Talent or taking levels in psionic classes?  If so, how?

Speaking of which:

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:49:43 AM »
Possible A7 Maybe a Synad Dragonborn? I'm not sure if they get all you need but it's a psionic race with no ecl and build in power reserve... im not good with Psionics.

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:28:04 AM »
Another possible A7: The Phrenic template, possibly? If Dragonborn doesn't remove natural psionics, then you're gold, just have a psychic race as the base race.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 05:29:27 AM »
Regarding Q7: Since Dragonborn keeps your subtypes, and a creature with a power point reserve has the (psionic) subtype, you should keep your racial power point reserve if you have no Wild Talent, psi-like abilities, "Psionics" spell-like abilities, or psionic classes.

Speaking of which:

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:21 AM »
Q8
Assume I start as a naturally psionic race then take a psionic feat, and have no other power point sources such as classes or feats. If I'm polymorphed into a non-psionic creature, do I lose access to my psionic feat?

Speaking of which:

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 05:50:48 AM »
A8 I'm pretty sure polymorphing does nothing to change your Supernatural (Su) or Extraordinary (Ex) abilities of your original race other than for pounce/rend and that kind of basic physical stuff... Personally i'd say like spellcasting it should still work, but you should ask your DM, could end up being pretty broken if all you need is a brain rather than the arms and mouth that a spellcaster would need from a polymorphed form to throw some magic around.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
Q9: My college's RPG club is going through our locker and re-doing our inventory. I'm a member of the committee in charge of this operation, and in the work I've discovered a number of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition books. Are these systems fairly compatible, in the same sense that 3.0 and 3.5 are, or would it be like trying to mix 3.5 and 4.0?
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
Q 10: What is the price adjustment for a Rune Circle (Races of Stone) that is only a 5-foot sqare?  I think it was 50% the normal calculated cost, but can't remember (away from books).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
A10: Yep, 50%.
This space intentionally left blank.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
Q11 Does thunderhead deal 1 point or 1d6 points of damage. There is contradicting text in SC. 1d6 is in the short description on SC 254 while full text states 1 point on SC 219-220.  Full text should take president but doesn't make sense as the closes spells, the call lightning chain, would make it seem like 1d6 is the appropriate damage. Looking for official answer followed by best guess if no official exists.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren