Author Topic: Warblade/Duskblade? Warblade/Swashbuckler? Swashbuckler/Duskblade? [3.5e]  (Read 8020 times)

thrasher2005

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Do any of these multi-class options work by chance?

First post btw :D yay

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Warblade/Duskblade? Warblade/Swashbuckler? Swashbuckler/Duskblade? [3.5e]
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »
I haven't tried any of them, but at least all three classes have features keyed off of intelligence.

I know duskblades are great for dishing out awesome damage, at least for the first half of their career.  Dipping out of the class will yield less damage for the level, which might make it too weak to persue.  A late dip into warblade could be cool to quickly gain access to higher level maneuvers and stances, as the duskblade will add half it's level to your initiator level.

Without the Daring Outlaw feat, swashbuckler is only a three-level class.  This one makes a good dip for many builds, but I don't know that I'd combine it with either of these classes.

Warblade can also be pretty nice in terms of dipping, although I'd be hesitant to combine it with swashbuckler.  That +Int to damage from the swashbuckler isn't really worth the loss of the manuerver progression IMO.  You don't pick up anything worth while from swashbuckler that you couldn't have done better with warblade from the get go.

Depending on what you're going for, factorum might make a better dip into any of those classes if you want Int synergy and good abilities.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

thrasher2005

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »
I haven't tried any of them, but at least all three classes have features keyed off of intelligence.

I know duskblades are great for dishing out awesome damage, at least for the first half of their career.  Dipping out of the class will yield less damage for the level, which might make it too weak to persue.  A late dip into warblade could be cool to quickly gain access to higher level maneuvers and stances, as the duskblade will add half it's level to your initiator level.

Without the Daring Outlaw feat, swashbuckler is only a three-level class.  This one makes a good dip for many builds, but I don't know that I'd combine it with either of these classes.

Warblade can also be pretty nice in terms of dipping, although I'd be hesitant to combine it with swashbuckler.  That +Int to damage from the swashbuckler isn't really worth the loss of the manuerver progression IMO.  You don't pick up anything worth while from swashbuckler that you couldn't have done better with warblade from the get go.

Depending on what you're going for, factorum might make a better dip into any of those classes if you want Int synergy and good abilities.

Well so far, I went with a human warblade 6/swashbuckler 3 built around high AC, touch armor class attacks with a keen rapier for high crit attacks, and crowd control with flanking from the Clarion Commander feat. Its still slow in terms of getting my geat going, but the eventual idea is to run with a +5 animated shield, +5 defender off hand, +5 elven chain armor with a max out dex, +5 natural armor, +4 ring of deflection, plus dodge bonuses and combat expertise.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:55:29 PM by thrasher2005 »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »
Duskblade/Warblade is viable enough if you are using Arcane Strike(love to use it with the Duskblade's high spells/day) to augment your manuevers for those primarily Warblades(use strikes etc, for offense, use the casting to boost damage etc, the whole CL thing isn't so critical here) and the reverse is solid enough, using Boosts and Stances to support the whole spell channeling thing, taking the feats to gain higher level manuevers(especially some Swordsage maneuvers, which you'd recover at Warblade speed) without losing CL.

Nothing actually negative for the build at least, and well playable in most parties, in either combination(primary warblade or primary duskblade). Besides, Duskblades tend to lose a bit of zing IMO, in the teen levels, which is a nice place to make up with the warblade stuff.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
Duskblade is at least 13 levels long, and I'd use it with loads of boost maneuvers to add even more damage. If you could somehow get Time Stands Still on a duskblade, you're awesome.

Really, though, the best thing to finish off a duskblade is Psywar 2/War Mind5. 2 Bonus feats, some powers, and sweeping strike, along with sweeping cleave.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:26:05 PM »
Once you get a hold of the Full Attack Spell Channeling, there isn't much to look forward to. :P
That said, the Tiger Claw extra attack boosts can do wonders for that. You'd need increased reach to use it to full potential though.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »
If I were building a human War/Duskblade, it'd look like this:

Human Warblade 1/Duskblade 13/Warblade +3/War Mind 2/Warblade +1
1: Wild Talent, Psionic Weapon
3: Searing Spell
6: Vital Recovery
9: Arcane Strike
12: Explosive Spell
15: Psychic Renewal
18: Piercing Cold
Bonus Feats: Combat Reflexes, Combat Casting

Maneuvers (in no particular order):
Moment of Perfect Mind, Iron Heart Surge, Stone Bones, Crushing Vise, Douse The Flames, White Raven Tactics; Punishing Stance, Dancing Blade Form

Armor Class is nice, and all, but ultimately putting as much energy into simply not getting hit has a negative impact on your offensive output.  The idea behind the build I show here is that you're able to reach opponents and do enough damage to contribute to - rather than simply survive - the battles, while not relying on your Cleric or Druid.  If defense is still that important, you've got gold and spells to boost it without using precious Feats.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »
As mentioned, warblade is great for dipping, especially at mid levels. 1 lv can grant you the use of all 3 diamond mind save boosters. Since you can't combine strikes with arcane channeling, you will have to settle for one over the other. This relegates your maneuvers largely to boosts (such as lightning recovery) and counters (like wall of blades).

I think there was a warblade1/duskblade5/jade phoenix mage10/XX build floating around at gleemax somewhere? Anyone care to comment on its effectiveness?  :p
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:19 AM »
Duskblade also gives Combat Casting @ 2nd level, which is a pre-req for Abjurant Champion.  I'm using that combo in a gestalt game now, and it's working pretty well so far.

Duskblade spells kind of suck for use with Abjurant Champion, but if you have another arcane class like Wizard or Sorcerer in your mix (especially in a gestalt game), it may save you from spending those precious, precious feats on something as bogus as Combat Casting.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Warblade/Duskblade: It can work, though straight 20 of either will probably be better.  But some strong combinations can come up.

Warblade/Swashbuckler: Straight 20 warblade would be better, but this is better than straight swashbuckler!

Swashbuckler/Duskblade: As above - it's better than straight 20 swashbuckler, but worse than straight 20 duskblade unless your Int is through the roof.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Black ethergaunt gestalt? :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]