Author Topic: Why is he doing that?[3.5][Ender's Game fans come in here.]  (Read 7187 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Why is he doing that?[3.5][Ender's Game fans come in here.]
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
I had this idea for a game literally 5 minutes ago. Anyone who is a fan of the book Ender's Game surely will appreciate the awesomeness of the game world that Ender was the only one to beat. He won the unwinnable game. And now you will follow in his footsteps.

The idea is that you're playing the game that he played, a simulated world designed entirely to fuck you up. It's bad, jim, it's all bad. Everything in the game will be a symbol representing something from your character's past, and it's ALL psychoanalyzing you. Your only hope is to play dirty, to break ALL the rules. No more strategy tips from me, now, shall we get to the game?

I need: one or more persons interested in this game. It will start out in a featureless blue room where you will be able to purchase starting equipment appropriate for a character of your level (the starting level is as of yet undecided), and choose your character's features. But here's the stitch: You're an 8 year old kid. You are the best and the brightest of your age group, a goddamn genius. I'll need a sordid past that is full of sadness and woe (or not, but it'll probably be more fun) from you.

The game(s) will be solo, though you may encounter each other tangentially. The game areas are all meant to test aspects of your character's personality, and how you react to it will determine how it reacts to you, and so forth. Therefore, don't expect it to obey many of the laws of reality. You will get into shit. Constantly. There won't be much downtime actually in-game, but you'll get loots and stuff as normal.

No tier one shit, the whole point of this is that you're one man against the world. A healthy tier 2/3 is good, because I can counter that appropriately. Obviously, there will be no wish based economy, no infinite money loops, and probably not even any summoning spells. You can still play a cleric or druid, but don't try and break the game. No gate shenanigans, and in case it ever comes to that point, you do not get the spellcasting of a creature you shapechange into (this is considered a house rule).

EDIT: Character creation rules:

You can mechanically be any race you want but your person will be human. You can pretend to have a connection to the history of a race that you encounter or not, it matters little. I'm going to need a backstory from your "player," as it's part of the game.

32 point buy, and you don't have to roleplay your stats. Your characters are just that: characters. You can solve things intelligently. Just don't expect the game to accept you as being smart when your character has 8 int. Flaws and traits, and all books are default yes, but I might not have the book, so check.

Starting level of 8 sounds about right to me, what do you guys think? Submit character builds, and I'll accept 3 to 5 people who will be given threads of their own. You can have a shared OoC, but I haven't decided what to do about the game events. I guess, realistically, you could talk to each other about the game and give each other advice, but the game will be slightly different for each person, and you won't encounter things in the same order.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Why is he doing that?[3.5][Ender's Game fans come in here.]
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:47:26 PM »
Count me in. This sounds awesome.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »
The enemy's gate is down.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »

Interested though doubtful. Even OSC didn't go into detail, just brief glimpses. It'll be a challenge of Enderian proportions. You up to it laddie?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
I'm up for this
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:49:56 AM »
Level 8 hmm? The game registers on my radar now. Must consider it seriously now.

Let me see if I understand this correctly: a virtual reality fantasy setting that is indistinguishable from reality (unless you know already it's fake)?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:36:54 AM »
This sounds interesting, though I've never actually read Ender's Game. :/

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 04:59:53 AM »
I want to!!!

it would be awesome to test myself... and also to check if my IQ of about 150 is enough...

I haven't heard about that book before, though, but it looks like the most cool PbP EVER :D :clap :clap :clap
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:23:25 AM by bogsnes »

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 06:10:54 AM »
Is this tier 2/3 as treating tier 1 as the most optimized or least optimized?

I'm interested.  Will this be puzzle heavy or combat heavy?

I'm thinking bard with maybe a level of Cloistered Cleric tossed in.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
okay, two things:
1. Is it in the game or in the real (game) world I am level 8?
2. Can't remember it... will write it if I remember it later...

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
I'll be a Factotum on one side if I can join for sure!

Can I join BTW?
On the other side... I am not sure...

I think I'll decide that later...

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
I'll probably be a dread necro/sorcerer
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
Well, submit a build outline and I'll start accepting.

Puzzles and combat abound, which should be tough for me because I'm not good at making up puzzles. Expect about 50/50. The game world is incredibly fake, and you know that it's fake. What you choose to do with that is up to you. Also, read through ender's game about the game world. Weird stuff will kill you.

possible people for consideration are

emissary666, bogsnes, Bozwevial, Skydragonknight, Operation shoestring, and Venndygrem. I can only accept 4, maybe 5 people. Post your builds in this thread (I prefer mythweavers), and backstory in a spoiler, and I'll see how you measure up. If you want, you can PM me instead. Remember, the backstory is very important, almost as important as the crunch, so you'll need a lot on your backstory. It might be a good idea to come up with the backstory before you give me any mechanical ideas. The game world is defined more by you than by me.

Also, here's the basic idea for those who haven't yet read the book (shame):

After the second bugger war, humanity has been preparing for almost 80 years for the next inevitable bugger invasion. You are the students of the battle school, chosen because you have the potential to defeat the bugger menace. You're between 6 and 13 years old, and you've been brought to the battle school from an early age.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
Is the skeletal template allowed?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
Quick question: When one side of the gestalt is advancing as a prestige class, does the other side have to be a core base class, or can we use any base class? I'm guessing the latter, as it would seem to make more sense, but I'll check with you first.

Also, are our abilities (like spellcasting, psionics, martial ability) only in the game world, or do we have them in reality as well? (Need to know for the backstory.)

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
I'll go ahead and answer, as I'm a huge Orson Scott Card fan.  In the real world, you're just a really smart kid.  you have no magical power or psychic ability, and any martial ability is just what you may have learned while in Battle School.  But most of your time would be spent with studying and practicing with your army for battles in the battle room.  I would suggest reading the Ender's Game Wikipedia page to get a better idea if you haven't read it.

Also, I'm planning on following this game, but I don't have the time to join it.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
Alright, thanks. It's been a while since I read it.