Author Topic: Chapter 1: **Battle encounter, will be deleted**ambush in the woods  (Read 8894 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
We'll do the fight here, this is the map:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dungeonsunlimited/forest/dense.html

The X axe is Alphabetical from left to right, THe Y axe is numerical, from bottom to top:

Initiative:
Wek'tcha: 29
Ling-Ling: 27
Logan: 22
Nym: 21
D1:19
D4:18
Tylunth: 18
W4:12
W2:9
Beyden: 7

You are at J-K/7-8, Wektcha and ling-ling are 20feet up in those trees you see. A cute girl is rubbing my neck right now, it is GREAT!

The wolves are scattered around you:
2 at B8 and C9, both are large, i will name the top left square of their 4 square coverage, being large. The one behind the wolf is the one casting.
2 at K15 and L13
2 at S9 and Q9
2 at M2 and K3
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:50:14 PM by Alastar »

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Chapter 1: **Battle encounter, will be deleted**ambush in the woods
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »
Wek<tcha goes first.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:23:42 AM »
OOC: So there is only one wolf casting at the moment?

Also, guys, which way do we go? /OOC
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
Wow.

??? Where am I ?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
In one of the squares J7/J8/K7/K8, your choice I guess.

Just imagine the map as a chessboard,
with A-Z being on the X-axis from left to right,
and 1-100 being on the Y-axis from bottom to top.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
Bit of info:

A log is 4 squares to cross, Light undergrowth is 2 squares, heavy undergrowth 4 squares, both provide appropriate concealment (20%, 50%)
Walking from one tree to another requires 3 things: appropriate jump check, appropriate balance check (DC: 20), double move since it's very hard to navigate the branches.  You cant charge in any terrain costing speed.  Being in the branches gives you 20% concealment (allowing you to hide).

Choose any square you want in the ones i told you to be your starting point, with the  exception of speedy gonzales and bob the freaky mantis, both of witch are in the appropriate tree (wektcha the left one, ling ling the right one) all the wolves that are furthest from you (4 of them total) are casters.

It's a bit hard to explain, sorry :S
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:11:30 PM by Alastar »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
The lightest color of green on the map, is that 'normal' terrain, as in, it doesn't cost any movement?

If so I think I can reach the casters in the north, east and south...

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
It is, and thus you can, just remember that there are some direwolves near them.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
Tumble ftw? :P

Just waiting 'til we decide on what direction we'll be going with (I'd like to avoid west, due to not being able to reach those enemies in 1 round...), then I'll post all my actions and rolls :)

EDIT: They're not Druids with their Animal Companions, right?  :bigeye :o :flutter ;) :P
Someone hurry up with that damn Knowledge roll, I've already rolled a succesful Aid Another for a +2 :P

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:34:13 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
[spoiler]I just whipped this up real quick. I haven't put our positions on the board yet. If Alastar can tell me which wolves are which designation, I can try to add that in.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think it would be best to form a wedge and charge through southwards. Take out those wolves as fast as possible and take up defensive positions around M1 (or maybe around I1, but I don't like being that confined). The trees will sort of force the wolves into single file to reach those positions.

My other concern is what are the wolves casting. I can roll to identify
spellcraft = 20.

If I can tell what they're casting, then I might ready action to fire some arrows at them to disrupt the casting. Otherwise I'll attack downwards to clear the way.

I guess one more option is to try diplomacy...[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:05:06 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Noooo  :eh

I'd like to post in order if we can, but I,ll build in a delay, like, if you don'T post within a day, you skip your turn.  The countdown will start now, so if nodaisho doesn't post at 16h15 on monday, we go to ling ling, and stuff.

Surreal, sorry i wasn't clear, They're ALL large, all of them are direwolves.

also, they're not ''Casting'' per say right now, they will cast on their initiative, what you DID see them cast on their ''surprise round'' were the following spells: Barkskin x4, shared on all their animal companion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:19:23 PM by Alastar »

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »
Okay, I think I get the idea. For future reference, moving through the trees, would the balance check be required if I had some form of spider climb? And I'm assuming that when in mid-jump, you ignore the difficult terrain you are going over? It seems to me that roots and things like that wouldn't be an issue in mid-air. Might as well post my action now, tell me if I make any mistakes, this character is more complicated than my usual "I attack again" ones. Tell me if you want me to change anything with how I post the rolls, I don't usually post this many attacks, so it's probably confusing. The attacks and damages are all in order, the only one that isn't 1d8+7+2d6 is the claw attack.

I'm on the caster to the south, care to join me? Wek'tcha asks, as he drops down from the trees. He rolls as he lands, and uses the momentum to jump extremely quickly to the spellcasting wolf to the south. Then, taking advantage of the wolf not being ready to defend itself, he pummels it, striking at it seven times.

Drop down from trees, tumble (modifier +14, can't fail), take 1d6 nonlethal damage. Use swift leap maneuver to jump 30 feet from J7 to N3 as a swift action. With current speed, jump bonus is +61, can't fail it. Full attack with Snap kick on the wolf, 5 unarmed attacks, 1 claw attack, 1 iterative unarmed attack. And looking at that damage, I suddenly feel like a glass cannon, one that has to be right up next to the thing it's attacking, which in this mission is likely to be a giant fucking wolf.
Attacks: 1d20+13=31, 1d20+13=32, 1d20+13=28, 1d20+13=21, 1d20+13=321d20+11=13, 1d20+8=12 (castle record is off a bit, forgot a -2 on all but the last attack)
Damages: 1d8+7+2d6=24, 1d8+7+2d6=19, 1d8+7+2d6=17, 1d8+7+2d6=21, 1d8+7+2d6=22 1d4+2+2d6=15, 1d8+7+2d6=12 (includes sneak attack, first round flatfooted)
Attack of Opportunity (if it happens): 1d20+13=25
AoO damage; Sneak attack damage: 1d8 7=12,  2d6=6
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:46:31 PM by Nodaisho »
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 02:22:03 AM »
Howling in pain, the wolf gets shredded to pieces by wek'tcha's ferocious attacks.  He is barely standing after the onslaught, blood streaming from several claw wounds on his fur.  Fear is in his eyes, the fear of death, and the fear of the witch hunters.  It understand that it is not hunting peasants anymore. 

[OOC]:Ling-Ling, you're up.  Good job nodaisho, good calculation on the jump, however, if you drop down 20 feet roll a tumble check (personally, you'll know the result i trust you) to avoid falling damage, if you make it, take 1d6 damage, if you fail it,t ake 2d6 damage. 4 if 2d6 3 if 1d6.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:26:49 AM by Alastar »

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 02:45:22 AM »
OOC: Looking at the rules on falling damage here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm it says that if you intentionally jump down, rather than slipping or falling, the first 1d6 is nonlethal. So, it should be 1d6 nonlethal, after the successful tumble/jump check, right? So, 3 nonlethal damage?
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 03:08:18 AM »
Right on, 3 non-lethal.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »
Okay, same routine as Wek'tcha basically, I'll go through it step by step.

By the way, remember my Hide result of 70 when we first saw the wolves approaching ;)
I'm counting on that being enough to catch 'em flat-footed for Sneak Attack purposes :P

1) Move action run down the tree, finish in M7 (Climb speed).
2) Swift action Sudden Leap to Jump ON the caster (30 ft. jump, start in M7 after running down the tree, Sudden Leap, finish in M2), Jump DC30:
1d20+18=35
3) Tumble checks to avoid any AoO's: I think I won't need more than 4 of them, but if I do, feel free to roll the remainder for me: 1d20+23=25/31/26/36
4) Dropping down on the caster triggers Battle Jump, making this count as a charge, which triggers Pounce.
5) Full Attack (+2 for charging and +1 for higher ground included, hopefully vs. flat-footed AC :P):

NOTE: As soon as the Druid goes down I will use my remaining attacks on his Animal Companion.

1 Claw +20 melee=40
Natural 20, roll to confirm: 1d20+20=23

Damage: 1d4+4=5

Battle Jump turns that into 10 damage, a succesful critical hit turns it into 20 damage.

3 Claws +18 melee=31/21/31

Damage: 1d4+4=6/6/5

Battle Jump turns that into 12/12/10 damage.

Bite +17 melee=23

Damage: 1d4+4=7

Battle Jump turns that into 14 damage.

Kukri +19 melee=34

Damage: 1d3+4=7

Battle Jump turns that into 14 damage.

Unarmed Strike +18 melee=23

Damage: 1d4+4=5

Battle Jump turns that into 10 damage.

-Rake (Ex): 2 attacks +20 melee=30/39

-Damage: 1d3+4=5/6

-Battle Jump turns that into 10/12 damage.

Sneak Attack damage: 1d6 (class) +10 (Craven feat) +2d6 (Assassin's Stance), total=3d6+10; 9 attacks:
17/22/20/21/15/23/18/22/19

EDIT: Craven bonus damage should be +9, not +10, so my Sneak Attack damage is actually 16/21/19/20/14/22/17/21/18

Sorry about the fuck-up  :embarrassed

Wow, those are a lot of rolls :P

Anywho, like I said, as soon as I drop the Druid all remaining attacks are spent on the Animal Companion.
I end up in square M2 if the Druid goes down, or in M3 if he's still alive (and therefore still occupies M2).

~Bowen
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:54:02 AM by BowenSilverclaw »

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »
at your first attack, the direwolf howls in pain and falls to the ground, life fleeing from his eyes.  The other direwlf next to him let's out a yelp of surprise and grief, he is ready to make mince meat of you with his teeth, but you are not over.  You pivot in mid air as you hit the wolf carcass and leap on the direwolf'S back, shredding it to pieces with your claws and kukri, and just like magic, your kill count moves from 1 to 2.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »
The caster at L13 growls, howls, and does a ridiculous little dance, making you want to laugh, but suddenly your laughter catches in your throat as the 3 frontmosst direwolves grow and grow, becoming bigger, more menacing, a truly horrid sight to behold, and suddenly, as you appeared to have the bigger hand, you realise that it might not be the case.

The huge wolf from the north moves up to tylunth and bites him.

1d20+18 ? [6,18] = (24) Hit

Damage: 2d6+23 ? [6,3,23] = (32)
Trip Check: 1d20 +22 ? [15,22] = (37)

The enormous wolf moves up to the opressor, both creatures are filled with rage as they clash.  The wolf closes it's claws around tylunth's arm and uses it's superior mass to lift him up in the air with his jaw, and throw him to the ground.  Tylunth's arm is severly wounded, but he still has a lot of fight in him, and he looks at the wolf defiantly.

[OOC]: Nym, you're up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:17:53 PM by Alastar »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
By the way, at the end of my turn I shift both point of Essentia invested in my Kruthik Claws to my Girallon Arms, for a +2 on attack rolls and damage rolls with it's claws :)

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
First rule: never turn your back on a companion in need.  With a ratcheting feline snarl, Nym springs on the wolf attacking Tylunth, launching himself high into the air as he does so.

Charging, leap attacking, 5-point power attack using Shock Trooper.

1. Jump Check: 38.  Easily enough to clear the distance, even from a standing start.

2. Claws: 27,33.  Unless these are VERY funky wolves, should hit, even with Barkskin.  Damage: 27 from the first claw, 24 from the second claw.

3. If both claws hit, Mister Wolf needs to make a Fortitude save (DC 24) or be dazed for a round.

4. If both claws hit, I rend for 29 damage.

5. Bite: 34 on the attack roll.  Damage: 23.

6. If our friend the wolf is still up, I initiate a grapple as a free action.  Grapple Check: Natural 20, for a total of 42.

7. Assuming I grappled, I rake twice.   Attack Rolls: 37, 24.   Damage: 24, 23.

If everything hit, it's a nice, even 150 points of damage.