Author Topic: Magical Beast options  (Read 2373 times)

sonofzeal

• Curious George
Magical Beast options
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:42:07 AM »
I'll be posting the full build later, but here's the deal: I've got a character who is a sentient 20 HD Brixashulty (from Races of Stone), with its type changed to "Magical Beast", in an ECL 12 campaign.  He has no class levels, but high str+dex, and should be able to function just fine by using his many feats instead of the class features everyone else has.  Martial Study is going to feature prominently, especially revolving around Setting Sun for thematic reasons, and because a goat butting things hundreds of feet in the air is awesome.

But... he has access to Alter Self.  Now, normally Alter Self caps out at 5 HD, but that can get bypassed via a houserule feat. I've seen the recommended "Alter Form" list, but that only goes up to 5 HD, and the only useful things there are flight and size.  I'd think that with a 20 HD ceiling, there'd be all sorts of useful options, but I can't really think of any.  Kraken for water is obvious, but Tarrasque has too many HD, and the rest of the heavy SRD hitters (cryohydra, frost worm, celestial charger) lose too much.  Behir is possible, but there isn't any major motivation there.

So!  All books open; cannot rely on any active buffs ever; must stay within the rules for Alter Self; must be of type "Magical Beast"; must have 20 HD or less; major character themes are "earth" and "air".  All suggestions appreciated!

(edit) Character Info - this concept amused me, I hope it amuses you too.
[spoiler]Crunch
ECL12, Halfling Racial.Druid3/Variant.Wizard3/Beastmaster1/Variant.Bard1/
Arcane.Heirophant1/Djinni.Bloodline3

The Druid levels are using the Halfling Racial Substitutions from RotW, and the Wizard and Bard are using the Animal Companion variant.  Bloodline levels stack on all three (plus Beastmaster and Arcane Heirophant) to get the Animal Companion level up to 27.

Now he takes the Obtain Familiar feat, which gives him one based on his Wizard, Bard, and Heirophant levels, +3 for Bloodline on each of those, adding up to 14.  He then takes Theurgic Bond to transfer his Druid caster level into his Familiar levels, getting him up to 24.

Then, with Arcane Heirophant, he melds the two into one creature, who is now a quite-intelligent (Int 17, specifically) animal, with the Magical Beast type.  I call this new creature "Avatar".

Then, he curls up in a corner somewhere, while his Avatar goes off adventuring.

Stats
(note - there's three known deviations from RAW: the custom metamagic feat, the animal companion getting the druid's spontanious spells at a distance, and the number of Martial Study feats.  I'm working with the DM on these.)
Brixashulty

str 30 (13base +9druid +4ap +4[6points]) +10
dex 28 (17base +9druid +2[4points])       +9
con 18 (16base +2[4points])               +4
int 17 (17wiz)                            +3
wis 18 (13base +1ap +4[6points])          +4
cha  6 (4base +2[4points])                -2

HD: 20d10+72 = 195
Init: +9
Speed: 40'
AC: 42 (+9dex +33nat) touch 19, ff33
BAB/grap: +20/+30
Darkvision 60', lowlight vision.
Attack: Gore +30/+25(1d6+15)
    plus knockback (str check +16)
SR: 29

SAVES
Fort 16 (12base +4con)
Refl 21 (12base +9dex)
Will 10 (6base +4wis)
- Imp Evasion (x2!)
- +4 vs Enchant

SKILLS
Balance  11 (0rank +9dex +2race)
Jump     39 (23rank +10str +2race +4speed)
Listen   31 (23rank +4wis +2alert +2race)
Spot     29 (23rank +4wis +2alert)
K: Arcana 31 (23rank +8int)
Survival 27 (23rank +4wis)

SPELLS
Jump - 5/day, +20 on check, 7 minutes
Spider Climb - 4/day, 70 minutes
Alter Self!!!

AVATAR'S FEATS - Throw opposed str +20
Alertness (bonus)
Familiar Spell x3 (virtual feat from high Familiar level)

Counter Charge - 1 - opposed str/dex vs redirect 2 squares
Step of the Wind - stance - ignore difficultterrain
                          - +2 atk, +4 trip/knockback
Devastating Throw - 3 - move 15', throw 10', do 2d6
Comet Throw - 4 - throw 10', 4d6, ref 24 half to cushion
Soaring Throw - 5 - throw 20', +5' for 5 on check, 8d6
Mirrored Pursuit - 5 - immediate follow moving enemy
Strike of Broken Shield - 4 - +4d6 damage, Ref 24 vs flatfoot

MASTER'S FEATS - 2 LEFT
Obtain Familiar
Theurgic Bond
*Homebrew Metamagic Feat to remove CL limit on spells*

Fluff
Backstory involves a Noble Djinni who screws up the balance of reality trying to get itself reincarnated, ends up being reborn as this commoner dude.  Dude is totally unaware though, and DREAMS this crazy beast.  But 'cause his subconscious is powered by Noble Djinnitude, the dream becomes reality.

So you've got this Avatar, which is only subliminally aware of the Djinni, which is trying to get itself restored out of the body of this commoner, who is just trying to earn an honest living making shoes. Except the DUDE gets captured 'cause they want to use the AVATAR as living weapon but are totally unaware of the DJINNI, who guides the AVATAR into busting the DUDE out so now all three are wandering around this crazy Outer Plane with no clue... (Well, the DUDE has no clue, the DJINNI has a clue 'cause its spiffy like that, and the AVATAR has a vague intuitive version of a clue 'cause it lacks the context known by the DJINNI but responds in a general fashion to its guidance anyway)........

And yeah.  It's the Avatar I'm playing.  The Dude will be pure background most of the time, and the Djinni can't actually do anything on its own.  lulz abound.

Context
This is going to be used in an ECL12+, high arcane campaign.  The rest of the party is an Evoker Red Wizard, Favoured Soul using artifact gauntlets, and a Dread Necromancer with a whole army of skeletons.  I want the Avatar to be differerent but still able to contribute effectively in that context, without being "omg wtf pwn" in either direction.  Future advancement involves mostly Arcane Heirophant to improve the quality of the possible Familiar Spells, a dip into "Animal Companion Bard" for a AC+4/F+8 boost when needed, and a dip into Ranger for an AC+4/F+4 boost is possible too.  It should also technically be possible to switch which animal I'm using if the current Avatar dies, but the choice for Brixashulty is locked in for now.  The DM is highly flexible here in working it out in a way that will be fun for everyone involved.
[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:02:49 PM by sonofzeal »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Magical Beast options
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:19:23 AM »
If you can get the dragonborn (heart) template applied to yourself, hydra becomes a little more appealing...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
This is a high-power campaign, right? Because if you start alter self-ing into horrible magical beasts, the DM might frown on it unless he's aware of the possibilites (though I'm guessing that since he's allowed this feat that he's fine with it).

Ankheg gets you 9 NA and a burrow speed,

Ten Headed Hydra gives you 10 heads, 11 natural armor, but it's huge... if you're large, you can change into it. You'll also gain Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat for the duration. And of course the 12 headed hydra is far superior.

If you can achieve gargantuan size, the Kraken is a 20 HD magical beast with 14 natural armor, 9 natural attacks, but you have to swim.

Hieracosphinx will give you a fly speed...

The manticore is perhaps the coolest because it will give you 6 ranged spine attacks as well as a fly speed with poor maneuverability, as well as the benefit of the Track feat. :D

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
If you can get the dragonborn (heart) template applied to yourself, hydra becomes a little more appealing...
Or if you can use the Assume Supernatural Ability feat :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
Some good ideas!

It's a fairly high-powered campaign, but this character is... well, he's special.  Very peculiar benefits and limitations, that hopefully will balance out.  Templates are NOT an option... but Assume Supernatural might be.  Wis 18, so that works.  Still, the build needs to be within reason; Alter Self should be a viable tool he can use, not his entire character.  Also, I did mean it about the Earth-Air theme, the DM will be much more lenient on powerful forms if they fit within that.

So - Hieracosphinx for flight, Ankheg for burrow, 12 headed hydra for battlefield control + sheer number of attacks?  Any non-core options?

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »
Character info posted, for anyone who enjoys a good read.  Lack of equipment is intentional; DM houseruled (from balance and thematic concerns) that SR of that magnitude interferes with the ability to use passive magic items.  I may still pack him some of the more unusual use-activated ones, but I don't intend to make it a big part of the character.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »
MM5...

Malastor - burrow 50
Steelwing - flight 120 (average)

There are a few creatures with really high land speeds, but alter self caps at 60'
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »
Don't show the DM, but bloodlines were ruled to not affect animal companion progression(in the FAQ, so take it with a grain of salt). They do, however, affect wildshape.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »
Don't show the DM, but bloodlines were ruled to not affect animal companion progression(in the FAQ, so take it with a grain of salt). They do, however, affect wildshape.
FAQ isn't RAW. Only Errata is.

This is a pretty cool idea, I must say.

If you can make the size requirement (somehow): Purple Worm is an option for earth critters, but it's gargantuan :).

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:05:29 PM »
FAQ isn't RAW. Only Errata is.

This is a pretty cool idea, I must say.

If you can make the size requirement (somehow): Purple Worm is an option for earth critters, but it's gargantuan :).
Thanks!  I'm not concerned about the FAQ ruling; I wouldn't do this build without full permission of the DM.  And Purple Worm works, I'll definitely put that one on file.  Steelwing for a flying form definitely sounds solid too.

Flight - Steelwing
Burrow - Purple Worm
Water - Kraken

That should be enough.....