Author Topic: [Modified 3.5 D&D gestalt] Mythic Sagas - Setup (Viking/Scandinavian theme)  (Read 33907 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Hmmm... That sounds like an interesting angle. I'll consider that.

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
Dragons are uniformly evil, eh?  Well, I think I'm okay with that, since it will be a while until I can get into D. Disciple anyway.  He'll have to know draconic, but that doesn't mean he has to speak it around people.  Wait, dragons being evil doesn't mean I have to be evil does it?  I was thinking TN or CG.

EDIT: When taking a PrC, it takes up one half of the gestalt, not both, right?  So I could do Barb5/D.Disciple1//Sorc6 when I take my first level of D.Disciple?  Or did I read it wrong?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:48:02 AM by Bell »

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email

Wow, theres not as many people as I expected, it's a pleasant surprise. I initially thought my commitment to 3 possibly 4 PbP's would keep me over busy to join this one, but I just dropped a class today. I feel up to one more and this one sounds good.

Playing a feylike half elf that lives in only partly in the shadow world as her spirit soars in the true world sounds like a challenge  :) :) :)

Is there still space? My one concern is that I'm slow at actually building characters and would take awhile to get one up.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
So I could do Barb5/D.Disciple1//Sorc6 when I take my first level of D.Disciple?  Or did I read it wrong?
That's correct.

I'm not going to flat out say that all dragons are uniformly evil, but every dragon in the sagas was evil.  There were really only 3 mentioned; two were divine beings (Nidhug and Jormungand), and the other was a dwarf that through a curse became a dragon due to his greed (Fafnir).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  Is there still space? My one concern is that I'm slow at actually building characters and would take awhile to get one up.
I'm not making the final decisions until Valentine's Day (next Saturday), and you only need a basic character "build" by then.  I'll probably then give everyone another week to finalize stuff before we start play.

Playing a feylike half elf that lives in only partly in the shadow world as her spirit soars in the true world sounds like a challenge
Lives only partly in the shadow world.... can you explain that idea more?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
Ah, one other thing I should point out.  There isn't just a "Common" tongue.  There will be stark dialects of common, such as Common (Rashemi) and Common (Halruuan).*  You can still communicate with folk that use a different dialect, given enough time and patience, but you take a severe penalty to things such as Bluff and Diplomacy (in the realm of -10...)  So, it becomes advantageous to learn the dialects of your neighbors.

*Yes, the empire is named the Halruuan empire.  Aside from that name, and the magocratic senate of the empire using the Halruaan Elder PrC from Shining South, it is not the FR nation of Halruua.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
I'm not making the final decisions until Valentine's Day (next Saturday), and you only need a basic character "build" by then.  I'll probably then give everyone another week to finalize stuff before we start play.

Playing a feylike half elf that lives in only partly in the shadow world as her spirit soars in the true world sounds like a challenge
Lives only partly in the shadow world.... can you explain that idea more?

Old world mystics and shamans were reputedly never outside the 'true' world, instead of seeing a person, they'd see a woman with a raven head if she knew your brother was dead, or would hold a jar of water if she were a healer or a other symbols that were meaningful but confusing.  So Fregyyr would see people but I'd play her a seeing symbols with a high sense motive and maybe spell use to.

Build would be Ranger//Druid (maybe Spirit Shaman) with some Barbarian or Sorceror added here and there. 
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  Old world mystics and shamans were reputedly never outside the 'true' world, instead of seeing a person, they'd see a woman with a raven head if she knew your brother was dead, or would hold a jar of water if she were a healer or a other symbols that were meaningful but confusing.  So Fregyyr would see people but I'd play her a seeing symbols with a high sense motive and maybe spell use to.

Build would be Ranger//Druid (maybe Spirit Shaman) with some Barbarian or Sorceror added here and there. 
That sounds cool  :)

Just take note of the societal roles of Hathran and non-Hathran.  Hathran are both arcane and divine casters, though they need not be so more than second level spells for both arcane and divine.

To elaborate, most Hathran are going to be on the pathway leading to Druid 20//full arcane caster 6/Hathran 10/arcane caster 4, or something along those lines, with the arcane casting typically being Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, or Beguiler (though others certainly are possible).  But, that's not to say that there are not Hathran who are Druid 20//Ranger 3/Wizard 3/Hathran 1/Ranger 4-16, or something like that.  Just realize that's not the way most would do it.  Also note that there are Hathran who are clerics, spirit shaman, or archivists, rather than druids; it's just that Druid is the most common.

Hell, there could be a Hathran who is a Paladin 9//Duskblade 8/Hathran 1.  Not the most common or convensional way into the order, but there are some who might do it that way.

Also, the type of character you started to lay out could easily be an Ethran, but then not progress farther to become an actual Hathran.  Basically, feel free to take the Ethran feat, and thus be a lesser member of the Hathran order, but don't then feel you must become a Hathran.  Most Ethran would, but not all.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Would Chameleon count as a "class that is essentially two classes?" I'm not interested in playing one (can't afford the appropriate wisdom or intelligence to make full use of it), but I am curious. Also, would Abjurant Champion be considered a dual class?

Not sure where to go with this build. I could go Sorceror//Duskblade to get full attack arcane channeling, but that's a very very long way off and I wouldn't be able to cast any duskblade spells, or I could go for the much simpler Sorceror//Paladin/fighter/stuff. I clearly want to try for Full BAB. This is hard, as this is my first gestalt character, so bear with me here.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
Would Chameleon count as a "class that is essentially two classes?" I'm not interested in playing one (can't afford the appropriate wisdom or intelligence to make full use of it), but I am curious. Also, would Abjurant Champion be considered a dual class?
Chameleon should be fine.  I realize it can get two sets of casting, but they aren't anywhere near "full" casters.  I'm not sure how Rashemi would view a male chameleon though... can a chameleon craft items using the spellcasting granted therein?  I would guess not, but can't remember for sure (away from my books at the moment).

Abjurant Champion is a dual progression class.

Here's an example of how a character would look using a dual class (assuming prereqs are met - don't have books with me):

1. Sorcerer 1//Paladin 1
2. Sorcerer 2//Paladin 2
3. Sorcerer 3//Paladin 3
4. Sorcerer 4//Paladin 4
5. Sorcerer 5//Paladin 5
6. Sorcerer 6//Paladin 6
7. Abjurant Champion 1
8. Abjurant Champion 2
9. Abjurant Champion 3
10. Abjurant Champion 4
11. Abjurant Champion 5
12. Sorcerer 7//Fighter 1
etc...

Similar things often occur with NG Hathran, who will dip a level of Arcane Hierophant to boost their animal companions.

1. Sorcerer 1//Druid 1
2. Sorcerer 2//Druid 2
3. Sorcerer 3//Druid 3
4. Sorcerer 4//Druid 4
5. Sorcerer 5//Druid 5
6. Sorcerer 6//Druid 6
7. Hathran 1//Druid 7
8. Arcane Hierophant
9. Hathran 2//Druid 8
10. Hathran 3//Druid 9
etc.

Not sure where to go with this build. I could go Sorceror//Duskblade to get full attack arcane channeling, but that's a very very long way off and I wouldn't be able to cast any duskblade spells...
Due to lack of Intelligence?  You could always go Wizard//Duskblade and get synergy of casting stat.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:53:47 PM by ksbsnowowl »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
That is true, but I kinda wanted to get divine grace. I realize that the wizard build would be way more powerful, but I'm unsure as to where I should go with this. I'm torn between the Sorcadin and the Duskblade Wizard.

I've heard of this thing called the Telflammer Shadowlord. Where can I find it and what does it do?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
I've heard of this thing called the Telflammer Shadowlord. Where can I find it and what does it do?
It's in Unapproachable East.  It is shadow dancer on steroids.  Six level, and allows you to shadow pounce (make a full attack after any teleportation or shadow jump ability).

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
*Enters the class

I've always wanted to play that kind of character. I've done it, but it usually revolves around using the Flicker mystery, which is easiest to use effectively by being a Binder and binding Tenebrous.

I must find this book.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Is there space for one more?

I am actually norwegian, so I know a lot about vikings, and I have time for one more PbP, so if there is any more space, I would join...

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
Is there space for one more?

I am actually norwegian, so I know a lot about vikings, and I have time for one more PbP, so if there is any more space, I would join...
Feel free to submit a character idea.  I'll make the decision and award the "spots" next week.  I'll be looking at party cohesion and complementary/covering of abilities, as well as how well they fit into the setting itself when making my decision.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
How many players are there by now? >_>

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Heh, your gestalt rules tease me with the bit about LA and Goliaths, yet you only want humans and half-elves. (wants to be a Goliath :()
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:53:41 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Venn, from what I can tell officially there aren't ANY characters right now.  We need to come up with something by next weekend that ksb likes enough to let us be a character.  :p

Ok, I've narrowed myself down to three basic ideas and I'd like some feedback because I'm having a hard time deciding.  Assume that there will be barbarian levels if I don't list them.  There definitely will be barbarian levels.

The Grappler:  I could go Bear Warrior and Black Blood Cultist and be a grappling machine.  I've been looking around and I could manage to make this work out well, except for Freedom of Movement kicks my ass.  Then I'm just a bear who eats people   :P

The Animal: Going Wildshape Ranger/ Nature's Warrior/ Primeval and turning into an animal AND THEN raging, getting lots of bonuses.  This and Bear Warrior both have the problem of a lack of super awesome equipment except for the fact that if I power Primeval's shapechanging with Wild Shape uses then I could use wilding armor/clasps/whatever.

The Doesn't have to turn into an animal to be awesome Guy: Runescarred Berseker.  It's just awesome, and has the advantage of massive flavor in this particular campaign.  Don't get the awesome stat boosts of the other two builds, but I do get self-buffs and room to take other PrCs.  Plus I can use all of my equipment all of the time.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:31:45 PM by Nanshork »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
(factotum, for example). 

Noooooooooo!!!!!

No factotums  :banghead :banghead :banghead
hmm...

I think I'll be some kind of Bard//Beguiler that sings and manipulates, etc...
If Beguiler is okay?

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
is there no way to be a Factotum? Like explaining what he does or something, since a Factotum gestalt would be awesome, with him running around and gathering knowledge...

Also, what level do we start at?

EDIT: noticed that we start at first level...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:30:47 PM by bogsnes »