Author Topic: A New Beginning  (Read 12771 times)

ymir

Re: A New Beginning
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
"Hrm, well, the path seems to go near this point... think you can take us there? You have an advantage of having been there before, so you would be leading the way. Layla... you're a ranger... how good are you at making sure at making sure we're going the right way? I know it's easy to get turned about... and going south instead of north would be problematic. If Meepo went here as far back as he's suggesting, an extra set of eyes would likely be helpful, no? Dori, I think that's what you go by..., you're good with maps, too, yes?" The swordmage turns from individual to individual as he addresses them, waiting for replies.

atrocity05

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 02:05:36 AM »
"Dori is fine.  And yes, if it's somewhere you need to get, I can get you there.  I've always had a decent head for stuff of that nature." Dori just kind of gazes around, suddenly missing his other companions, but nevertheless willing to continue his adventure anew.

Mero

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:14 AM »
Layla rolls her eyes and mocks Sha-Karn's slight stutter.

Of course I can make sure make sure we're going the right way the right way.  Although Jitterbug here (She tilts her head toward Meepo) doesn't seem too confident about his memory of the place.

ymir

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
Sha-karn shakes his head and sighs, "Cut the short one some slack. Let's get going, we have drow to kill, and they're not going to go kill themselves."

[spoiler]Nature: 1d20 3=12 to assist whomever's reading the map[/spoiler]

Huggles

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
[spoiler] 14 Nature to assist   http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1936320/[/spoiler]
"Aye. Let's get a move on. We need ta get ta the bottom o' this before they get a chance ta attack another town."

Mero

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »
Layla feigns a curtsy glances around the room.

Alright then.  Slaying Drow is a sentiment I can get behind.  Let me take a look at this map figure out what to do with it

She studies the paper (assuming she's allowed to do so)...

[spoiler] 29 Nature.  The map *seems* simple enough to her.  1d20+13=29[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »
Layla takes the map for a moment, gives it a cursory glance, and is about to tell everyone to follow her when she feels something is wrong with the map.
She pauses, studies the map for a bit longer, where she notices that even though the map seems simple enough, she can't seem to place herself on the map.  She turns the map one way, then another, but just can't seem to figure where "here" is on the map.
Eventually, she notices that some of the landmarks are placed incorrectly and even oriented the wrong way.
Either she's unable to read it, or the map is wrong.

The map has to be wrong.

ymir

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
"Well? You said you could read it, yes?" Sha-Karn grumbles, wanting to move on from this city... something about it didn't sit right with him, it was all too... clean. "Is that even the right map? I don't see this town on it, anywhere. Someone must have stolen it and replaced it with this... mockery! I'll have their heads for this!" he growls and flares up once more.

Mero

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »
Layla looks quizzically at the map in her hand.

This map is a piece of crap.  It's easy to read but we're not even on it.  Where did we get this?

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
[spoiler]After assessing the map, the group determines that the map will be of very little use, and decides to head north, looking for any trace of Jaedrus or the drow.
They "book passage" with a caravan heading north and are subject to a tremendously uneventful trip until arriving at their first stop.
They find the town desolate; all life erased.  Fearing the forces' return, the caravan and adventurers spend an uncomfortable night within the morbid town.
The next day, they travel all day, only to see thick, black smoke rising up from the location of the second town.  The caravan slows to a stop again, and prepares to make camp a safe distance from the town, but the adventuring group is determined to get to the town and prevent its demise.
They hustle for a couple of hours to get to the town, only to find it perfectly safe.

The time spent in the town is mostly uneventful.  The party discovers that Jaedrus had, at one point, found his way up to Gravelstop, but had left rather quickly to the south.
After a short debate, (and a stop in the town's magic shop, the group decides to follow Jaedrus's path south.

They stop by the decimated town to do some investigative work and discover that hobgoblins, rather than drow, ruined the town and retreated back to the south.
With their two leads merging into the same direction the group hurries southward; chasing down the hobgoblins and looking for evidence of the drow or Jaedrus.

The group continues to move southward for two and a half days, motivated both by the threat of attack and the desire to clear up the mysterious circumstances, before they run into the mausoleum of a cranky, old mage.
Having never seen the structure before, new newer party members lead the group into the crypt, only to find themselves ambushed by a small contingent of hobgoblins.
A fierce battle ensued, but one quickly won by the heroes.  However, before they were able to continue, the heroes heard a small explosion from below, signaling some unfortunate turn of events.

For the exploration and battle, everyone gets 600 xp.[/spoiler]

ymir

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:05 PM »
At the rumble of the explosion, Sha-karn looks about uncertainly, "Now, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that explosions are bad. Especially when we're underground. And might be crushed by thousands of pounds of... building. We need to stop them from doing anything that would further compromise the integrity of this structure. Right now, this is our only link to the hobgoblins, and we can't afford to have it taken from us."

Huggles

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »
"Ah'm worried about tha hobgoblins that got away too.  Ah'm thinkin' we might as well just go in there. I don't trust that explosion, and don't think sittin' around 'ere'll do us any good, Telchar says as he picks up his gear and gets ready to move on.

Trynant

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
"As much as I like sitting around doing nothing, I get the feeling now would be a bad time do so. I suppose we should hurry our exploration of this Mausoleum before it falls apart?"

ymir

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
"Then it's agreed. Forward!" the firesoul makes his way forward through the rumbling depths, both he and his sword acting as beacons in the darkness, causing the party to cast long shadows as they make haste, following the path the archers took.

"Doriavan, Telchar... you two have been here before, yes? What's further inward? Anything explosive?" he shouts back to the party, not stopping for a response.

Huggles

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 01:30:37 AM »
Telchar does not slow down as they continue on.
"Well, it 'as been a while... Ah'm pretty sure there's a second room like this'n, 'cept it's REALLY big. At the end of it, there's a door and a little path, and there was a tunnel comin' out of it, but it collapsed 'fore we could go through. Maybe the explosion has somethin' ta do with that tunnel?"

Trynant

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 06:00:02 AM »
"I just hope there are not too many ghosts in here. The last time I met an apparition one of my companions lost all of his hair and a bet with ogre." The elf seems lost in recollection.

ymir

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
Still moving swiftly, the swordmage shouts over to the ranger, who is keeping up without so much as breaking a sweat, "You've explored dungeons like this, yes? Do you know what could have caused that rumbling? Was it an explosion? Or perhaps a great beast? Telchar, you said there was a cave-in, when you and Doriavan were here last? What caused that?"

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »
The reply is cut short as you run into a choking cloud of dust.  Your lungs force you to stop and try to clear out the area around you.

Slowly, the dust begins to settle and you find yourself in the middle of another large room with six chest-high obstructions placed at regular intervals.  A quick look about reveals that these obstructions are sarcophagi, and one of them has been busted open.

The far wall of the chamber has been ruined.  There is debris and rubble piled up against a section of the wall.

[spoiler]Please be explicit about what you do in the room.  There just might be more traps ;)[/spoiler]

Mero

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »
Layla slows her breath and focuses her keen senses on the room.  She draws and loads an arrow into her bow, crouches slightly, and stalks slowly and quietly toward the edge of the room directly away from the open sarcophagus.  She speaks in a hushed half-whisper.

Alright, nice and easy.  Flame-boy, take a look at that mummy box and keep an eye out for whatever was in it.  I'll search the perimeter and see what I can make of this room.  The rest of you be careful and don't wake anything up.

[spoiler]1d20+13=19, 1d20+11=19

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:59:54 PM by Mero »

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »
While searching, all you manage to turn up is a dust-cloud that follows you around the room and some theories about the rubble on the far wall.  It appears as though the rubble, likely created by the explosion, was designed to seal up an opening in the wall.  Who knows what was on the other side...

You realize, after giving the order for Sha-Karn to look at the mummy, or whatever it is in the sarcophagus, that he's probably a bad person to have look.  After all, he is partially on fire.