Author Topic: Spirit Shaman / Earth Dreamer build help  (Read 3440 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Spirit Shaman / Earth Dreamer build help
« on: February 04, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
One of the games i play in got shut down last night and i'm needing a new character so i thought about a dwarf obsessed with stone, real original i know but my group normally doesn't play dwarves.

I thought about Spirit Shaman (CD) going into Earth Dreamer (RoS) and likely being a Dream Dwarf (RoS)
Obviously i need earth sense but i'm not entirely sure where i should go from there. Most anything is open pending DM approval. Don't have stats yet either we are using the DM's custom 3d8 method and they throw out low roles so i know all stats will be high.  I will likely be the only primary caster in the party so i have to cover all the spells basis including healing, though one person was looking at dragon shaman which should help with healing.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Spirit Shaman / Earth Dreamer build help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
If you ever considered going druid there's a feat in Races of Stone that allows them to wild shape into stone beings. Seems pretty reasonable...

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
Spirit shaman is a great base class for what you want, though consider a cleric, too. I have a friend in a 2.0 game who is a stone priest, and he's pretty boss.

Be sure to make use of things like Stoneskin, Sudden Stalagmite, Spike Stones.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
Yea i have considered both druid and cleric but wanted to avoid CoDzilla syndrom as my group doesn't include any optimizers. One guy decide he was going to make a real tank and go strait fighter,  :banghead

So i'm trying to scale my power down some while still being effective, but i also HATE preparing spells. I know it is more powerful but it just annoys the hell out of me.

Also i know the DM is doing some form of bloodlines but i don't think they will be the exact same as those in the SRD.

Here are feats i'm looking at:
Earth Sence: a req. for PrC
Augment healing: i'm the only healer in the party so i need to get some extra millage out of my spells so i don't have to waist a slot of every level.
Earthbound spell: more thematic than practical, but very useful once i get earth glide from E. Dreamer.
Highten & Earth Spell: free +1 spell level for any spells i'm down.
Energy Sub (Acid): since i can't do sonic with the newest copy of this then Acid would be the least resisted. and fits thematically as well.
Augment Summoning: this is worth considering just because we have 4 warriors and all say they aren't a tank (well 3 but the fighter won't be any different than a summon that hangs around after the fight and eats our food). so i might need some meat/stone shields.
Armor Prof (Med/heavy): i'm a dwarf with only light armor prof there is something wrong with that. but i might dip somewhere to gain this if possible.
Item creation feats?: saves money and DM doesn't make us pay XP but we also don't have a lot of down time to make them.

spell selection is going to be another sticking point. I can basically get anything i want with DM approval. Preferable to keep to PHB, PHB2, and SC. but if there is something awesome out there i'll look to get it. I know that one of the Vigor chain will be on my list and i'll probably make/buy an item to do Healing Lorecall.  Decomposition is nice when you can use hit and run tactics. Splinterbolt will likely become my offensive standard for most mid levels, though i will try to reflavor it as stone instead. That is a run down of some low level spells i've been looking at but please feel free to suggest spells you think are good for there level and useful.

spell question: Thunder head short version is 1d6 damage while full text is 1pt which is correct? I would assume the text but that seems a bit low for a 1st level spell.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:11:04 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
nothing to see here.

stupid quote next to modify  :pout

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »
Dude if DM doesn't make you pay XP, then you've basically got the money river if you can find the time! Get a warforged artificer cohort and put him in your bag of holding, and have him make all your stuff out of rocks.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
well i have stats now and 1st level drawn up.

Dream Dwarf, with intermediate earth elemental bloodline
Spirit Shaman 1

Feats:earth sence, ancient knowledge
Flaws: Murky eyed

Str: 20
Dex: 20
Con: 20
Int: 18
Wis: 23
Cha: 23

like i said the DM likes giving high stats, and these are on the low end of what they normally give us.  As to the crafting i don't think we will have the time in game to do something like that so i am shying away from it now, though i might consider getting leadership so i can have a cohort do it for me, but that will depend on what happens in game.

A little about the party that i know now: 1/2 elf Outdoorsman (from a 3rd party book don't know much about it), Human Psi. Warrior (Based off of Dante from Devil may Cry i think), custom 1/2 elf 1/2 halfling ranger, bard (don't know race), Minotaur Fighter, and me.

I will be the only person with any real healing abilities so i'm going to keep lesser vigor preped every day until i can get something else. I am also going to be talking to the DM about letting me alter the weapon proficiencies to some that are a bit more dwarf like. Hopefully will have the buckler axe and long spear as my weapons, with a short bow for ranged.

What spells should i have prepared on most days?  Barring knowing about something specific to prepare for i'm not sure what i should keep ready.  I think i should keep some for off offensive spell ready, my primary will likely be splinter bolt once i get it, and some battlefield control spells.  But i also want to take advantage of my bonus to caster levels when casting earth and divination spells too. Any suggestions, i'm going look for the Druid's handbook and Spirit Shaman handbook over at 339 since i know a lot of that was included in there.