Author Topic: Interesting Spell List  (Read 6145 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
Re: Interesting Spell List
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »
I have used benign transposition a few times to replicate the effects of pounce on the party fighter. If you are adjacent to the enemy, cast it defensively and swap positions with the fighter. The end result is that you are out of danger, and the fighter gets to make a full attack as he does not have to spend a move action closing in. Of course, the monster also gets to make a full attack in the next round, so you can't get too reckless with this combo. :)

This spell offers a shocking amount of utility for a 1st lv spell... :o
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of Grease.  In addition to being a nice low level spell to halt opponents for a few rounds, it also allows free sneak attacks agaisnt them if they don't have 5 ranks in Balance.

I had a rogue/swashbuckler with daring outlaw and UMD that made use out of a wand of Sculpted Grease.  With sculpting, I could affect completely separate targets with different 10x10 foot squares.  It drastically lessened the damage we'd take (as they couldn't leave their square), and drastically increased the damage I delt.  :smirk
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
I have used benign transposition a few times to replicate the effects of pounce on the party fighter. If you are adjacent to the enemy, cast it defensively and swap positions with the fighter. The end result is that you are out of danger, and the fighter gets to make a full attack as he does not have to spend a move action closing in. Of course, the monster also gets to make a full attack in the next round, so you can't get too reckless with this combo.

Just the other day, my malconvoker was being grappled, so I cast benign transposition with one of my summoned Giant Fiendish Crocodiles. Man, did that guy ever regret trying to grapple me.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
Just the other day, my malconvoker was being grappled, so I cast benign transposition with one of my summoned Giant Fiendish Crocodiles. Man, did that guy ever regret trying to grapple me.
That's awesome:smirk
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 08:50:59 AM »
Haha, that's awesome, Pfooti  :lol
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »
I have always been a big fan of Frostfell from Frostburn.  It's a save or die (as long as you have flesh) in a ridiculously large area, and if they make their save, up to 20d6 frostburn damage.  Things also become slippery in the area.  The temperature in the area also drops a great deal for hours.  Transmutation, too, so nearly all Wizards have access to it

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 04:12:58 AM »
I like wall of thorns. It's great for overlapping field control effects.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 04:19:56 AM »
Wow, I never realized how good that spell can be.

Smiles55

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »

Item alteration Eberron lvl 4 art

- change the bonus type of the item. artificer buffs fighter by casting bulls str on gloves of fighter +4 enhancement (change to circumstance ) now mage casts bull str on fighter +4 enh which now stacks....

this is endless...any item, any spell double the juice..with enduring as a metamagic...it goes on for years

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 03:13:03 AM »
Enjoyed the utility of celestial brilliance (BoED, Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4); daylight-like effect that harms undead and Evil Outsiders (!?!) in its bright radius. Lasts 1 day per level!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:16:19 AM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 06:37:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of Grease.  In addition to being a nice low level spell to halt opponents for a few rounds, it also allows free sneak attacks agaisnt them if they don't have 5 ranks in Balance.

I had a rogue/swashbuckler with daring outlaw and UMD that made use out of a wand of Sculpted Grease.  With sculpting, I could affect completely separate targets with different 10x10 foot squares.  It drastically lessened the damage we'd take (as they couldn't leave their square), and drastically increased the damage I delt.  :smirk
I love Grease too. Olivia Newton-John never really matched it, did she?

More seriously? I second Wall of Thorns, and find Entangle and Plant Growth (Overgrowth) also very useful. Overgrowth is a very good way to stop someone.
I know gameology-fu.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 07:14:33 AM »
Sleet Storm might be my favorite spell, just after Summon Monster III.  Everyone knows about sleet storm, but almost nobody ever uses it.  The duration's great for a fight, it covers a huge area, and completely screws over vision.  Plus the effects are pretty flashy, summoning a giant hailstorm :)

I tend to use it with my conjurers and druids combined with dire bat or vermin summons, or to cover a retreat.  Some DM's might even let it work along with Call Lightning, as it is a storm after all.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »

Item alteration Eberron lvl 4 art

- change the bonus type of the item. artificer buffs fighter by casting bulls str on gloves of fighter +4 enhancement (change to circumstance ) now mage casts bull str on fighter +4 enh which now stacks....

this is endless...any item, any spell double the juice..with enduring as a metamagic...it goes on for years
Depending how the DM rules the "same source" argument, the newer casting of the spell may negate the previous one. However, there's nothing stopping you from stacking two different spells or item etc.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills