Author Topic: Pokemon Showdown!  (Read 6424 times)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Pokemon Showdown!
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »
Who is your favorite pokemon?! How are your skills at the game?! Have you mastered the card game?! Share your exploits!!

Mine is Salamence or Ampharos. But from the original set it is definitely Dragonite.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Pokemon Showdown!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:18:14 AM »
my fav pokemon is charzard. my mrs has charzard as second, and psi duck first...

never played the ccg. have played the gameboy and other video games..

they need to add pokemon to mario cart...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:23 AM »
Always liked Squirtle, the Squirtle squad is awesome and Blastoise has shoulder mounted cannons. Second was Psyduck, also the anime's fault.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Snorlax. And me and veekie share a certain soft spot for Psyduck.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »
The Squirtle-Wartortle-Blastoise line, closely followed by Dragonite...

Used to play the GB games, not anymore though...
Also, used to play the TCG a little bit, first booster I ever bought had Charizard in it :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
I always used Gyarados. Always. I usually picked up Gengar and Alakazam when I could, too.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:21:33 AM »
You have one guess.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »
Gee, could it be Ninetales, and possibly Vulpix as well? :P

We should totally do a Pokemon PbP over at the PbP section :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »
*Forms a team composed of Mewtwo, Deoxys, Arceus, Dialga, Darkrai and Wobuffet*
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »
I never played the DS games, don't have a DS...

But I was actually talking about a D&D adventuring party consisting of Pokemon :P

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »
My friend got at second place at the national championship in TCG here in Norway... I've never been better than #16, though

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 11:14:04 AM »
I never played the DS games, don't have a DS...

But I was actually talking about a D&D adventuring party consisting of Pokemon :P
My work

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
Gee, could it be Ninetales, and possibly Vulpix as well? :P

Why, whatever gave you that idea? :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
Any way to give a stirge confusion and slow as SLAs?
Then we need an earth elemental with a fly speed and death throes... Annoying ones first, of course.

Look here for Plusle and Minun.

Also
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:59:21 AM by Prime32 »
My work

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:41 PM »
I don't even remember, that was so long ago.  I never played anything after the origional set.  I do remember that I had a Dark Golbat card and it was the coolest looking card that I owned.  :D
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
When including class levels, I'd totally make Pikachu as a Beguiler (the race obviously) gish of sorts :D

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
For the Geodude, if you aren't crafting a custom creature(which most pokemon would warrant, just look at all the pokemon d20 projects out there), giving it a level of Elocutor would do the trick.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »
The fire-type starter Pokemon always made me think about how I could beat the gym leaders. Playing each of those games was difficult due to the type advantage the gym leaders would often have over me (save for when I had Fervath, my Cyndaquil). They ended up being my strongest Pokemon becuase of their own weakness.

After that, I made it a point to catch my favorites. My ideal party would be:

Goreyune (Blaziken)
Chokeslam (Charizard)
Fervath (Typhlosion)
Cody (Buneary, named after a pet rabbit)
Dratini (purposely left unevolved)
Zapdos

Although that isn't a party I would use regularly (because of the Fire-type focus, it would be horridly vulnerable to Water attacks).

I do like the fact that Fire types often have a high Speed and Special rating. Up until D/P, my starter Pokemon was always faster than most of the non-Electric types in the game (and only a few points behind Entei/Raikou/Suicune/Latios/Latias) which gave me a massive advantage in battles.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Mewtwo, and always have been.

But there's a soft spot for Kadabra.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:02 PM »
Oh man, this brings back memories.

I had a preference for Umbreon, but if I stick with the original games, I'd probably have to go with Ditto.