Author Topic: Illithid Savant Information [In Progress]  (Read 34057 times)

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Illithid Savant Information [In Progress]
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
possessed the same number of ranks
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »
There is no illithid subtype.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »

I still think that just playing a changeling is the superior and quickest way into the prestige class.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Hazren

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »

MINOR RITUALS
Some characters may wish to gain the benefits of a particular
type or subtype of monster, without actually becoming a
specific kind of monster.

Ritual of Association
This minor ritual gives the character a racial subtype or type modifier ...

I'm unaware of any minor ritual that states explicitly that it changes type and type alone that would fullfill the stated purpose of minor rituals in the first sentence that disribes what a minor ritual is intended to do. I would think that type modifier as stated in the Ritual of Association is changing/modifying the type since I can't find any mention of type modifier in any monster manual. :shrug

Also as Illithids have variants (Ulithards, Elder Brains, Urophins, Neothelids, along with the entire Thoon entries in MMV)) this could be seen as subtypes.
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
Subraces =/= subtypes.  There are a finite list of types & subtypes: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/typesSubtypes.htm
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Hazren

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
Subraces =/= subtypes.  There are a finite list of types & subtypes: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/typesSubtypes.htm

That finite list is missing at least 11 monsters as stated in it's FAQ. While I do use the site for quick reference I always go back to the books if it's important and something I know may be argued.
Tshern

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
Which monsters have types or subtypes not in the list?

The relevant info, though is that the Type entry under illithids is "Abberation", and does not have the "Illithid" subtype.  Ergo, such a subtype does not exist.

Also, the Illithid Savant does not have a subtype requirement (see, for example, Fiend of Possession).

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »

Some subtypes not on that list are dragonblood, dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling, human, orc, and raptoran.  A type not on the list is abomination (not to be confused with aberration).  There may be others, but probably not too many. 

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »

Some subtypes not on that list are dragonblood, dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling, human, orc, and raptoran.  A type not on the list is abomination (not to be confused with aberration).  There may be others, but probably not too many.  

Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm
Anaxim
Size/Type:    Medium Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
<snip>
Special Qualities:    Abomination traits, magic immunity, construct traits, fast healing 15, SR 34, damage reduction 10/chaotic and epic and adamantine
Abomination isn't a type. Nor is Elder Evil, True Dragon, Demon, Devil, or Angel. They are functionally a "race" sharing several key traits in common with others like them and that's it. Dragonblooded is a subtype, but it's not public information/part of the SRD. Further given the MMI was printed years before RotD and wasn't part of the original concept.

On short, your argument and related tangents are full of holes & incorrect (good call sirpercival).
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
Abomination isn't a type. Nor is Elder Evil, True Dragon, Demon, Devil, or Angel.

Oops, I went from memory on that bit.  Also, angel is a subtype and shouldn't be used as an example loosely-defined monster groupings. 

On short, your argument and related tangents are full of holes & incorrect (good call sirpercival).

Hazren

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2011, 08:02:37 PM »
Seems to me  that we are ignoring the part (like my entire second post) that minor rituals can give type and the one I listed would be a good point to work from even if you don't agree with my reading of the text of that specific ritual that giving "type modifier" would be giving the type and not subtype, or that the variants count as subtypes.

Tshern

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
So what if it gives the type?  The type is aberration, which doesn't get you into IS.  You need to be the RACE, which is a different ritual and comes with hit dice.  Unless you're an awesome changeling...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
Oh, well hell it takes a year for me to be able to recall a name within seconds of seeing. To me you were the other guy.

And is Angel a subtype? ... It is. wtc wotc.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Hazren

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
This minor ritual gives the character a racial subtype or type modifier such as gnoll, goblinoid, orc, or reptilian

Where as a Gnoll is a Humanoid[Type] I can see this the same as a Mindflayer is an Aberation[Type]. If this ritual can change your "type" to Gnoll then why not Mindflayer?
Tshern

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
This minor ritual gives the character a racial subtype or type modifier such as gnoll, goblinoid, orc, or reptilian

Where as a Gnoll is a Humanoid[Type] I can see this the same as a Mindflayer is an Aberation[Type]. If this ritual can change your "type" to Gnoll then why not Mindflayer?
Firstly, the ritual can not change you to the Gnoll type since there is no such thing as the Gnoll type. There is a Gnoll subtype specifically stated in the rules, which the ritual can give you. The ritual can not give you the Illithid type or subtype since neither exists. No matter how much you seem to want the rules to be different, they will not change.

Seems to me  that we are ignoring the part (like my entire second post) that minor rituals can give type and the one I listed would be a good point to work from even if you don't agree with my reading of the text of that specific ritual that giving "type modifier" would be giving the type and not subtype, or that the variants count as subtypes.
I'm not sure what in your second post is supposed to help your argument. Even if the ritual gives type, it does not help anything since there is no Illithid type or subtype. As for "your reading" that illithids have a subtype because there are variants, unless they are stated to have a subtype, no such subtype exists. As someone already said subrace does not equal subtype.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:45:13 PM by Bastian »

Hazren

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »

Firstly, the ritual can not change you to the Gnoll type since there is no such thing as the Gnoll type. There is a Gnoll subtype specifically stated in the rules, which the ritual can give you. The ritual can not give you the Illithid type or subtype since neither exists. No matter how much you seem to want the rules to be different, they will not change.

I must have missed that. Could you tell me where to find Gnoll listed as a subtype? I only found it listed under Humanoid which is a Type. As far as I can tell Gnoll is a race listed under Humanoid.
Tshern

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »

I must have missed that. Could you tell me where to find Gnoll listed as a subtype? I only found it listed under Humanoid which is a Type. As far as I can tell Gnoll is a race listed under Humanoid.
Their monster manual entry. The same is true for any race with a subtype. It is always listed right next to their type at the top of the entry. Here's a reproduction of the beginning of their entry.
Gnoll
Medium Humaniod (Gnoll)
Hit Dice:...

Hazren

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »

Their monster manual entry. The same is true for any race with a subtype. It is always listed right next to their type at the top of the entry. Here's a reproduction of the beginning of their entry.
Gnoll
Medium Humaniod (Gnoll)
Hit Dice:...

Interesting. I used page 4 and 5 of the MM and Gnoll is listed under Humanoid the same way Mind Flayer is listed under Aberation. I see your point about how it's listed in the table entry.
Tshern

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2011, 01:58:48 AM »
I have a question regarding the acquire X abilities.

Specifically, did you notice you don't benefit from acquire X per Y levels of Illithid savant, but per brain? (I wish I was making this up. It's somewhat sane if you read it the conservative way, but it is easy to argue RAW is per brain.)

Also, with the spells regeneration and delay death, you can eat your own brain. Because why not?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]