Author Topic: Wizards = arcane clerics?  (Read 1801 times)

Original Sin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Wizards = arcane clerics?
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »
There may be another thread on here or somewhere someone already thought this, but just asking/theorizing....

Has anyone considered wizards are really just another "type" of cleric?
Just hear me out.....
Some of the mechanics are obviously different.  But look at the following...
A clerics spells come from a higher being (diety).  So does a wizards spells (Mystra, or whoever).
A cleric prays to his/her god.  A wizard studying his/her spellbook is their gods accepted means of prayer.
If a clerics diety dies, they cannot cast spells.  If Mystra dies, so does all arcane magic.
A cleric requires a divine focus on their spells, as dictated by the spell.  A wizard requires certain foci/material components for their spells.
A cleric spreads the word of their diety through their actions, preaching, etc.  A wizard spreads the word of their diety through the practice of their art.
A druid has an animal companion.  A wizard has their familiar.
Both can control undead, both can craft magical items.

Eh, just bored and thought I'd throw this out for comment.
I may not like violence, but that doesn't mean I'm not good at it.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Re: Wizards = arcane clerics?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:35 AM »
Mystra only exist in one realm. I don't think it works like that in oh... say Ebberon.  :D Good to see ya back though!
... p.s...
man... the "Spell book" is your God angle is pretty funny actually. I will have a cleric say give this speal to a wizard in a game one day.  :lol- Good times.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Original Sin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »
Granted, Mystra is only in the Realms, but there are dieties of magic in the other settings, so wouldn't they be the source of magical energy in their 'realm'?  And if so, then if they die, doesn't magic die?  Thus, magic exists because of a diety.  Your still just another type of cleric!  And if this doesn't apply to your setting, at least it sure seems the way in the FR, so Elminster is a frickin' cleric!

Oh, and the Spell Book wasn't so much your actual god, just your 'divine focus' to your god.
I may not like violence, but that doesn't mean I'm not good at it.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »
And, if you interpret it as I do, a level 5 Wizard who knows secret page can, with enough time and paper, fill these blank pages with his spell list so he knows all his spells like a Cleric.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
Elminster was a cleric, though--at least for a few levels. (Sorry, just throwing it out there.)