Author Topic: Best entry into Ruby UrKnight?  (Read 5246 times)

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Best entry into Ruby UrKnight?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
Halfweight is a +3 armor enhancement that reduces the weight of armor by half and makes it count as light armor.
This space intentionally left blank.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
Halfweight is a +3 armor enhancement that reduces the weight of armor by half and makes it count as light armor.

It's also Psionic, and teh fluff states that it's the work of illithid's, which means your DM is perfectly justified in not letting you buy it at the corner mart.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »
It's also Psionic, and teh fluff states that it's the work of illithid's, which means your DM is perfectly justified in not letting you buy it at the corner mart.
If the prereqs for creating it don't specifically say you need to be an illithid, then anyone can make it.  Perhaps the illithids were just the first to create it.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
If the prereqs for creating it don't specifically say you need to be an illithid, then anyone can make it.  Perhaps the illithids were just the first to create it.

Oh you can craft it, sure, but you need Craft *Psionic* Arms and Armor.  Which doesn't really mesh with the build.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 06:37:29 AM »
You can still  have it crafted by someone else, right?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »
Exactly.  Someone who needs not be an illithid.  So, it's no harder to buy than any other armor with at least a +4 enhancement mod (assuming you don't need a 9th level power or something in the prereqs for crafting the item).
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »
Exactly.  Someone who needs not be an illithid.  So, it's no harder to buy than any other armor with at least a +4 enhancement mod (assuming you don't need a 9th level power or something in the prereqs for crafting the item).

You need to be a [psionic] creature, but that's kind of a given if you have a psionic item creation feat.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

logofpenguin

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »

Straw Man,

I would suggest that completely RAW you cannot maintain having your Cleric Domain granted powers and enter Ur-Priest at the same time.

I would direct you to Complete Divine pg. 70 the Ur-Priest Special requirements.

"The character must have no ability to cast divine spells.  If such spellcasting ability was previously possessed (as with an ex-cleric), that ability is forever forsaken.  The character must be trained by another ur-priest."

Please note that there are, in fact, 2 distinct requirements. We both don't care about the training from another Ur-Priest so forget that.

You are taking levels in Cleric.  Obviously you do not worship a particular deity and follow your own ethical/philosophical code - granted on that part.

How then do you propose fulfilling the first requirement of Ur-Priest?  Namely "The character must have no ability to cast divine spells."

I assume you are going to *choose* to "have no ability to cast divine spells" - but RAW I only see two ways for you to do that - having a Wisdom score of 9 or lower OR alternatively...the second sentence of Ur-Priest special requirements which in essence are the "ex-cleric" rules.

As I quoted above, Ur-Priest indicates that if you had previously possessed divine spellcasting ability you can forsake that ability forever AS WITH AN EX-CLERIC.

The "ex-cleric" rules PhB pg. 33 state that you lose your class features. Class features such as domains.

Therefore, to enter into Ur-Priest after being in a class that could cast divine spells, you must do so "as with an ex-cleric" and hence "as with the ex-cleric" rules you must lose your domains.

If you do not wish to be subject to the "ex-cleric" rules then, unless you have Wisdom of 9 or don't take levels in Cleric, I do not see how you can RAW fulfill "The character must have no ability to cast divine spells."

If you would like to point to a source that states you can lose your divine spellcasting ability at-will, then I would be convinced.  Choosing not to prepare spells does not make you lose the ability to cast - otherwise a cleric who ran out of spells for the day could qualify - unless of course that's how you're reading "no ability to cast divine spells." Because no=zero, right?  Besides that, you still have to qualify "as with an ex-cleric".

In fact, if you wanted to get even more RAW, the ONLY way you could enter Ur-Priest [having already possessed divine spellcasting ability] would be "as with an ex-cleric" i.e. you would have to worship a deity to qualify for the "ex-cleric" text.  Let me restate this to be even clearer; being ineligible from the domain loss of the "ex-cleric" text 'because you don't worship a particular deity' would mean you are similarly ineligible from the required entry into Ur-Priest 'because you don't worship a particular deity'. 

Strictly RAW you're probably already ineligible without a deity - but I'm sure no DM will hold that against you so long as you enter Ur-Priest "as an ex-cleric" - without the Domains.