Author Topic: (3.5)Magical Guinea Pig- seeking help  (Read 1506 times)

Nebuchadnezzar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
(3.5)Magical Guinea Pig- seeking help
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
This is my first real post to the forum, and my first PrC. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Magical Guinea Pig
"Testing Approval Schmaproval, I'll try it!"HD: d8
Class Skills (2+Int per level):Bluff, Concentration, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Truespeak, Use Magic Device
Proficiencies: All simple weapons, light and medium armor, and all shields (except tower shields).

Lv  BAB                Fort  Ref  Will     Special                                Infusion Reserve
1.  +0                   +2   +2   +2      Feat, Magical Reserves     
2.  +1                   +3   +3   +3      Feat                                        500
3.  +2                   +3   +3   +3      Feat                                        500
4.  +3                   +4   +4   +4      Feat                                        500
5.  +3                   +4   +4   +4      Feat, No chance of rejection                500
6.  +4                   +5   +5   +5      Feat, Improved Reserves (2)                 500
7.  +5                   +5   +5   +5      Feat                                        500
8.  +6/+1                +6   +6   +6      Feat                                        500
9.  +6/+1                +6   +6   +6      Feat                                        500
10. +7/+2                +7   +7   +7      Feat, No chance of rejection                500
11. +8/+3                +7   +7   +7      Feat                                        1000
12. +9/+4                +8   +8   +8      Feat, Improved Reserves (3)                 1000
13. +9/+4                +8   +8   +8      Feat                                        1000
14. +10/+5               +9   +9   +9      Feat                                        1000
15. +11/+6/+1            +9   +9   +9      Feat                                        1000
16. +12/+7/+2           +10  +10   +10     Feat                                        1000
17. +12/+7/+2           +10  +10   +10     Feat                                        1000
18. +13/+8/+3           +11  +11   +11     Feat, Improved Reserves (4)                 1000
19. +14/+9/+4           +11  +11   +11     Feat                                        1000
20. +15/+10/+5          +12  +12   +12     Feat, Perfect Infusion                      5000

Game Rule Information

Bonus Feat: At each level the Magical Guinea Pig may select any feat they qualify for from the following list:
Feats that affect form/personal nature [spoiler]
Aberrant
Aberration Blood
Bestial Hide
Deepspawn
Durable Form
Inhuman Reach
Inhuman Vision
Scavenging Gullet
Starspawn   
Warped Mind   
Waterspawn

Abyssal Heritor
Claws Of The Beast
Cloak Of The Obyrith
Demonic Skin
Eyes Of The Abyss
Heart Of The Nabassu
Keeper Of Forbidden Lore
Otherworldly Countenance
Poison Talons
Precognitive Visions
Primordial Scion
Vestigial Wings

Heritage
Air Heritage
Anarchic Heritage
Axiomatic Heritage
Celestial Heritage
Earth Heritage
Fey Heritage    
Fey Legacy
Fey Power
Fey Presence
Fey Skin
Fiendish Heritage
Fiendish Legacy
Fiendish Power
Fiendish Presence
Fiendish Resistance
Fire Heritage
Improved Elemental Heritage
Improved Outer Planar Heritage
Natural Heavyweight
Shadow Heritage
Water Heritage

llithid Heritage
Illithid Heritage
Illithid Skin
Illithid Grapple
Illithid Extraction

Monstrous
Still working on an exact list, my guess is the majority will not be available

Willing Deformity
Willing Deformity
Deformity (clawed hands)
Deformity (eyes)
Deformity (face)
Deformity (gaunt)
Deformity (obese)
Deformity (Skin)
Deformity (Tall)
Deformity (Teeth)
Deformity (Tongue)

Please note that there can be any overlap of different heritages, being the result of experimentation moreso than actual heritage.[/spoiler]

Magical feats: [spoiler]
Reserve
Direct Damage
Acidic Splatter
Clap of Thunder
Fiery Burst
Invisible Needle
Storm Bolt
Winter's Blast

Buff/Debuff
Blade of Force
Clutch of Earth
Drowning Glance
Hurricane Breath
Magic Disruption
Mystic Backlash
Shadow Veil
Sickening Grasp
Touch of Distraction
Wind-Guided Arrows
Channel Miasma
Holy Warrior
Mitigate Suffering
Protective Ward
Touch of Healing
Umbral Shroud

Utility
Aquatic Breath
Bourne Aloft
Dimensional Jaunt
Dimensional Reach
Face-Changer
Magic Sensitive
Minor Shapeshift
Summon Elemental
Sunlight Eyes

Binding
Bind Vestige
Improved Bind Vestige
Practiced Binder

Incarnum
Any feat in MoI that the character meets all prerequisites for

Truespeech/Recitation
Minor Utterance of the Evolving Mind
Utterance of the Evolving Mind
Utterance of the Crafted Tool
Utterance of the Perfected Map
Recitation of Meditative State
Recitation of Mindful State
Recitation of Vital State
Recitation of the Fortified State
Recitation of the Sanguine State

Psionic
Wild Talent
Psionic Talent
Psionic Meditation
Deep Vision

Ghost Attack/Greater Ghost Attack
Psionic Fist/Greater Psionic Fist
Psionic Shot/Greater Psionic Shot
Fell Shot
Return Shot
Psionic Weapon/Greater Psionic Weapon
Deep Impact

Mental Leap
Psionic Charge
Speed of Thought
Up the Walls
Run On Air
[/spoiler]

Magical Reserves: Magical Infusion: The Magical Guinea pig begins to manifest permanent magic effects, as per the Permanency spell. The Magical Guinea Pig has an Infusion reserve, used to fulfill the requirements of these permanencies. From 2nd to 10th level this reserve is 500 xp/level, from 11th to 19th level 1000 xp/level, and 5000 xp at 20th level. Any experience not used at a given level may be saved, so as to allow for more expensive purchases. These permanent magical effects are suppressed in an antimagic field, as well as when subject to a dispel.

No chance of rejection:Improved Reserves: At 6th level the Guinea Pig can use two reserve feats that require a standard action simultaneously. Only one of these may do direct damage. At 12th level the Guinea Pig can use three reserve feats that require a standard action simultaneously. Only two of these may do direct damage. At 18th level the Guinea Pig can use four reserve feats that require a standard action simultaneously and the previous direct damage restriction is lifted.

Perfect Infusion
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:50:59 AM by Nebuchadnezzar »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: (3.5)Magical Guinea Pig- seeking help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
Change the capstone ability to Extroardinary, because (Su) abilities are suppressed in an AMF.

I really like the idea of this class, but how are they supposed to qualify for reserve feats? Since they are bonus feats, they don't need to meet the prerequisites, but what level of spell are they treated as having in reserve? Is it a function of class level?

What spellcasting abilities to they have? Also, what use does Armored Caster do for them, seeing as how they can't cast spells.

Can a Magical Guinea Pig have multiple heritage feats?

As a final note, this class needs a few new feats added, particularly ones that make incarnum feats and binding feats a bit stronger, but not too much stronger. Shape Soulmeld and Bind Vestige are pretty solid feat choices, but they need a bit more if they're supposed to be class features, in my view.

Nebuchadnezzar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »
I'm taking out Armored Caster. I didn't see the reference in CM earlier.

How should I word it such that the prerequisites still need to be made for any bonus feat? The sole exception is with reserve feats, which gain that exemption via the Magical Reserves ability. Even then, one may only take the feats 1 spell level before a single class caster. This allows for an attack mode at 1st level. Also, each reserve feat is assumed to be powered with a spell equivalent to the highest level spell a wizard/cleric of the same level could cast. Is there some better way I should phrase it?

I don't see a problem with heritage feats from multiple heritages. The most powerful combo requires 5 feats, and gives access to 9 spells/day. I'll put something in the flavor that states in this case it's more being infused with the essence of a creature or plane than being the descendants of such.

I could imagine feats which added virtual essentia to a given meld, as well as ones which allowed one to eventually bind a slightly higher level vestige (say 4th at max). Something like that?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:56:02 AM by Nebuchadnezzar »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:25:40 AM »
This is an intriguing idea, but I'm not sure I get everything. You mentioned that they are a master of minor magic; What does this mean? Do they get to cast any spells, or do they just get minor spell-like abilities from reserve feats? Of what particular use is the Magical Infusion ability? Does the reserve mean you get some spell cast on you, and you can pull from the reserve to invoke a version of the Permanency spell? Do you need to, then, rely on others to cast those spells on you?

I think if I personally were making this class, I'd instead give players the option of pulling permanent abilities/alterations from a list, sort of like the Geomancer's Drift list.

Overall, I like the idea of a class or character who's been subjected to so much magic over time that it's begun to seep into his very essence. Plus, you could come up with a pretty interesting personality for such a character. :D