Author Topic: Psychic Master of Many Forms  (Read 2710 times)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Psychic Master of Many Forms
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »
I'll be having a game in few days (a real one, not a pbp one), and I was planning on using a different character than I'm used to. A shapechanger. A real one. After some discussions with my DM, he allowed me to use divine minion, under certain conditions:
1) The divine minion grants the ability to wild shape as a swift action, not as a free action.
2) I have to take Vow of Poverty as my first feat (background thing).

Of course, I can use divine minion's wild shape to qualify for MoMF.

So I will take 7 levels of MoMF. But I'm not sure what to take for the rest of the levels.
As I plan on staying on wild shape as much as I can, and given that I can't have magic items, I was thinking on focusing on psionics.

My first guess is:

Monk 1/MoMF 7/Ardent 1/Slayer 1/Ardent 1/Slayer 9 with Tashalatora (Slayer) and practiced manifester et all, but Warmind looks great, too.

Suggestions?
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Psychic Master of Many Forms
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »
Bump?

Alternatively, I'm the only optimizer on the group, so I'm thinking on trying a character based on Chicken Infested. The game supports it, and I have already asked the rest of my group if they are alright with having a comical character.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Chicken Infested is an only commoner flaw which appeared on the Dragon magazine as an April's Fool joke. It makes your character draw a chicken instead of an item he were trying to draw 50% of the time, .even if that's impossible.

So, I was thinking on doing a character focused on using those chickens as weapons (the cluck-chuck master of deadly avian destruction). I know that in 339 there was a thread about building a character with that flaw, but my google-fu is not too strong, So I were unable to find it. Could someone direct me to that thread? Suggestions on optimizing that would be great, too. I'm not too keen on how can I turn chickens into decent massive destruction weapons.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
If you're going with a shapechanger, you'll want to keep your wildshape hd up. That means you'll need classes that continue to advance it. I would suggest finishing up MoMF, then some Nature's Warrior, Lion of Talisad (can't go wrong with pounce), or Warshaper. If no one else in your group is optimized, I would just leave psionics alone and have fun with the shapechanging. You could also stack it with rage and/or be a shifter, picking up the shifter savagery feat.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »
Divine Minion already gives me the ability to Wild Shape as a lvl 11 druid. With 7~8 levels in MoMF, that would give me my fair amount of wild shaping for most of the game, as the maximum HD the creature I can Wild Shape into is my wild shaper level or my own HDs, whichever is lower. So no need on getting any other classes that progress Wild Shape.

That said, I want to play a psionic character. I have intended to play one for a long time, and now is the time I can do it. I know about warshaper and other classes like that, and in other games I would have taken that too, but if I'm taking a serious character, I prefer to stick with psionics.
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

Cap Smash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Magic Missile. I counter it.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
Oi the memories. just recently I played in a game where comedy and Lol I serious'd had to mix. so I played a half minotaur with golem arms( I payed for them and spent the time in game.) that was warblade 5 bloodstorm blade5. care to guess what my weapon of choice was? flaming, explosive chickens( we modified a spell from baldurs gate2 for the splode) and lightning gauntlets for the flaming. ( to draw the chickens, you have to touch them :eh) I dont reccomend the flaw, not anymore. It Is hard to drink a chicken for heals...

Thine Doom Be Had

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
I might be pimp-slapped if I necro this thread but I'll try it anyway.
To optimize the chicken deal,
1. Make sure you have the 'Corpse Crafter' and the 'Destrucive Retribution',
2. Get as many chickens within a 20' radius,
3a. cast an AoE damage spell (fireball if you're using the 20' radius) with the Fell Animate metamagic or
3b. cast a chained Enervation (this might not be as effective as the fireball unless you have good means of controling them),
4. the above methods should kill the chickens and bringing them back as undead bombs for you to make sexy damage with. Plus if you killed with a chained Enervation, you got your own lil' army of negative level dealing chicken suicide bombers, all at no cost to you.
4e is a fine game.  It is not, however, the same type of game as 3.5.  For those of us who really liked the type of game 3.5 was, 4e just doesn't cut the mustard.  Yes, I tried playing it.  I was bored.  So was the rest of my gaming group.  I know there are people who love it... good for them.  But in the end, calling 4e a sequel of 3.5 is like calling checkers a sequel of chess.

JaronK

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »
Don't forget the LA+1 from Divine Minion.
I'd try to get Ardent 1 w/ Practised Manifester around 5th level, to take Metamorphic Transfer.
It works with any chang-o power or spell or ability, just have to meet the prereqs.

Any way to get the MoMF levels down to just 5, so you can get a 9th level power?
Stick in Ur-Priest 2 after Ardent 2 and then Mystic Theurge 7, to get Cleric 9s.
Throw in a Psiotheurgist feat from Dr#349, to get the Ardent 9s, replaces Prac Mani.

Thine Doom Be Had

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »
Divine Minion already gives me the ability to Wild Shape as a lvl 11 druid. With 7~8 levels in MoMF, that would give me my fair amount of wild shaping for most of the game, as the maximum HD the creature I can Wild Shape into is my wild shaper level or my own HDs, whichever is lower. So no need on getting any other classes that progress Wild Shape.

I still think you need to get levels that advance wildshape because it takes the lower score for determining the max hit-dice of creatures you can turn into, so if you don't take a class levels that advance wildshape hit-dice at all, then it be based on your hit-dice or so it would seem, but since you want to take levels of Master of Many Forms, you should then gain a wildshaper level because the class advances the hd of what you can wildshape into (or at least it seems like it works this way, the way it's worded and all).
4e is a fine game.  It is not, however, the same type of game as 3.5.  For those of us who really liked the type of game 3.5 was, 4e just doesn't cut the mustard.  Yes, I tried playing it.  I was bored.  So was the rest of my gaming group.  I know there are people who love it... good for them.  But in the end, calling 4e a sequel of 3.5 is like calling checkers a sequel of chess.

JaronK