Author Topic: MMII Redux  (Read 48595 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: MMII Redux
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Any objections to changing the Horned Felldrakes Favored Class?  Fighter doesn't have Listen or Spot as Class Skills and you'd think a Bodyguard would need those.

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2010, 08:26:04 PM »
knight? (PH2)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
Knight require Lawful Good.  The Drakes are compulsorily NG.

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Knight is any lawful, but I see your point.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2010, 05:44:41 AM »
How about Ranger as the Favored Class?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #225 on: September 06, 2010, 03:33:06 AM »
Racial substitution levels are up.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2010, 05:35:34 AM »
Bodyguard is finally updated.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2010, 03:06:32 AM »
Updated Felldrake

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2010, 05:16:38 AM »
Got most of the Racial Feats done.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »
Feats are done, Bodyguard has half its abilities up.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2010, 03:40:02 AM »
Felldrake Bodyguard has the last of it's class abilities.  Any thoughts?

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
I like it, the capstone could become a bitch with a X4 weapon and some well spent feats and enchantments. Shouldn't Wings of Doom be tied to HD or ECL rather than just level?
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:05 AM »
I like it, the capstone could become a bitch with a X4 weapon and some well spent feats and enchantments. Shouldn't Wings of Doom be tied to HD or ECL rather than just level?

CHanged to 12 HD

GRIMALKIN

"Of course I'm just a normal cat."
 Grimalkin appear to be large blue-grey housecat about 80 pounds or so (okay a very large housecat).  

GRIMALKIN RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 15
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d4
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d6
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 35
 Old: 53
 Venerable: 70
 Maximum Age: +2d20 years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Length: Male: 4'5"  Female: 4'5"
 Height Modifier: +2d6"
 Base Weight: Male: 85 lbs.   Female: 80 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x1d6 lbs.

GRIMALKIN CHARACTERS
 Grimalkin are common pets, and have some fairly versatile shape shifting abilities that allow them to further pass unseen if someone is looking for a Grimalkin.  So basically if you want to be a spy or a sneak thief, they're purrfect,
 Adventuring Race: Grimalkins go on adventures to protect their owners, their families, or for less obvious ends such as gaining more rights for their race so they can be seen as beings instead of pets (though some prefer the pet roles since it allows them a freer hand, and no one assumes certain acts are due to them).
 Character Development: Grimalkins are meant for stealth.  Rogue type stuff works perfectly for them as surprising people will be simple for you.  Casters will also do well with the right Feats, but if you wanna go the melee route you'll want some of the Racial Feats.
 Character Names: Grimalkins are usually named by their owners so the names given them depend on where they live.

ROLEPLAYING A GRIMALKIN
 You're a big cute kitty, and everyone loves you.  At least this is the reality you intend to project and reinforce.  The Grimalkin race isn't popular as pets because they're big and fluffy, it's because they make great spies.  Having a Grimalkin is like having your own personal ninja.  One has to be careful though as the Grimalkin can be extremely chatty, and the dumber ones don't know when to shut up.   And you don't want the ninjas of your rivals finding that you like to pound underage boys because that would be one hell of a crimp in your lifestyle.  That, and the populace would probably support them killing you.
 Personality: Other than being extremely sociable Grimalkin are pretty catlike.  It's just that unlike regular housecats, they don't quite have to take shit off you.  After all they have 4 times the Hit Dice of the average peasant.
 Behaviors: Grimalkin love typical cat things such as food and napping.  They also love gossip.  If you want to know whats going on in town, bribe the local Grimalkin.  Some of them have brought down nations by letting secrets spill for even juicier secrets.  
 Language: Grimalkin tend to speak Common.  Intelligent ones speak the language of whatever race is prevalent in their area.

GRIMALKIN SOCIETY
Since they've been pets for generations, the Grimalkin really have little in the way of culture and society, and take bits and pieces from places they've lived in.  They tend to be nomadic and if their humanoid 'owners' die they usually move on to some other family they adopt.
 Alignment : Most Grimalkin tend to be True Neutral.  They don't really care about life outside their family, and while they don't follow rules as much as Lawful races do, they don't have the weird randomness factor the Chaotic ones do.
 Lands : Almost all Grimalkin live in urban or rural cities.  Being 'domesticated' has made them slightly lazy.
 Settlements : Non-pet Grimalkin tend to live in Temperate Plains areas.  
 Beliefs :  The Grimalkin acknowledge that there are Gods, but they don't tend to worship them.  After all Gods interfere and poke their nose in ones business.  And you don't like huge amounts of drama in your life.
 Relations: The Grimalkin secretly think most other intelligent races are utter boobs.  After all they know you aren't a dumb animal (in theory), they know you can shapeshift, and yet they still treat you as dumb pets who just want food and affection.  What morons.  Still they feed you, so they are good for something and you're used to having them around.

GRIMALKIN ADVENTURES GRIMALKIN RACIAL SUBSTITUTION LEVELS

Rogue
 Levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18: Remove Trapfinding and Trap Sense and Replace with Sneaky at Level 1.
  Sneaky (Ex): The Bonus you would have gotten from Trap Sense is applied to Hide and Move Silently Checks instead.

Ninja
 Level 2 and 10: Replace Ghost Step with Ghost Form.
 Level 8: Replace Ghost Strike with Shift Strike
  Ghost Form (Su):  At 2nd level you can expend a daily use of your Ki power as a Swift Action that does nor provoke an Attack of Opportunity to cause opponents to suffer a 20% chance to miss you for 1 round.  At Level 10 this increases to 50%.
  Shift Strike (Su):  You may expend one daily use of your Ki power to avoid miss chances such as those created by Blur spells or the Displacer Beasts Special Ability.

Ranger
 Levels 2, 6, 11: Gets different options for Combat Style
  Combat Style (Ex): You may also choose the Battleshifter or Ambush Styles.
Battleshifter gets the following Feats: Battle Shifting at Level 2, Improved Battle Shifting at Level 6, and Intimidating Form at Level 11.  Ambush gets: +1d6 Sneak Attack at Level 2, Telling Blow at Level 6, and Deft Strike at Level 11.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:22:37 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2011, 06:25:41 AM »
PET

"Only Sharon gets to call me Piddums.  You call me sir.  Asshole."

Pets are official bodyguards, servants, friends, and companions of those able to afford them (and whom the Grimalkin is willing to put up with in turn).  Some are paid companions, some are bodyguards and protectors out of love.

BECOMING A PET
Most Pets pretty much begin as Rogues.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Race:  Grimalkin
   Skills:  Hide 6 ranks, Listen 6 ranks, Move Silently 6 ranks, Spot 6 ranks
   Feats:  Any 1 Grimalkin Racial Feat
   Class Abilities:   Sneak Attack +1d6

Class Skills
 The Pet's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 8 + int

Hit Dice: d6

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +0    +0     +2     +0    Just a Pet
2. +1    +0     +3     +0    +1d6 Sneak Attack
3. +2    +1     +3     +1    Always Watching
4. +3    +1     +4     +1    Just a House Servant
5. +3    +1     +4     +1    +2d6 Sneak Attack
6. +4    +2     +5     +2    Always Watching
7. +5    +2     +5     +2    Just part of the Background Scenery
8. +6    +2     +6     +2    +3d6 Sneak Attack
9. +6    +3     +6     +3    Always Watching
10.+7    +3     +7     +3    Professional Babysitter

Just a Pet (Su): You gain Amusing Form as a Bonus Feat.

Sneak Attack (Ex): This is identical to the Rogue ability listed on page 50 of the PHB.

Always Watching (Ex): At Level three you can always take 10 on Spot and Listen Checks.  At Level 6 you take no penalties to those rolls for being distracted or asleep.  At Level 9 you take no penalties due to inclement wind or weather.

Just a House Servant (Su):  You gain I Am But An Innocent Bystander as a Bonus Feat.

Just part of the Background Scenery (Su): You may turn Invisible as a Standard Action, and remain that way so long as you don't Move or Attack.  The See Invisible spell does not reveal you, but True Seeing does as this is more of a camouflage effect than magical invisibility.

Professional Babysitter (Su): Once per day you can pick one person as your 'Charge'.  So long as you are within 60' of your Charge you get a +4 Circumstance Bonus on all Saving Throws, and all rolls or Opposed Checks made to protect him or prevent him from coming to harm (yes this includes Attack and Damage rolls if you attack someone trying to harm him)..  You may change your charge every 24 hours.

Weapon Proficiencies: Pet's gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

PLAYING A PET
 You are the magical, cuddly companion of someone who is either deserving, or has enough money to offer, or who is outright blackmailing you.  You keep them safe and aware of goings on, and you get food, affection, and a home (and sometimes money or gifts).  You also keep their families out of trouble, and they look after yours if you are close enough.  After all someone has to tend to the kittens while your occupied saving the butt of the Duke's only heir.
 Combat: You prefer to watch safely from the shadows and gather as much information as you can possibly get before attempting a strike.  Even then you prefer misdirection and ambushes to open fighting.  Always play it safe.
 Advancement: Advancements depends on the needs of your client/possible loved one.  What skills you learn are the ones you deem most necessary to keeping yourself and your charges alive.
Resources: Your patron dotes on you if he knows whats good for him, so you may have access to stuff depending on his wealth.

PETS IN THE WORLD
"Aren't you just the cutest little Piddums!"
 You're a pet.  This is what you want the world to believe.  This is what you need the world to believe, otherwise your job becomes exceedingly difficult.  On the plus side you get lots of treats and people pet you, and they don't care that your balls are showing in public.  After all you're a critter.
 Daily Life: Much of your day is play acting the goofy kitty while watching over your charge or spying.  Then it's training, training, training, and perhaps a few hours with your own friends or family.
 Notables:
 Organizations: Most Pets don't belong officially to organizations other than perhaps the school that trained them.  They are personal bodyguards, and as such if attached to nobility may have great authority in his household.

NPC Reaction
 NPC's assume you're a magical talkin' kitty, and an endless source of amusement.  At least till they piss you off.

PETS IN THE GAME
 This assumes you 'belong' to someone.  They may consider you a loved one or a slave, and this may be troublesome.  Make sure you know what you're getting into.
 Adaptation: This could work easily as good in silly or serious campaigns.
 Encounters: Pets are usually encountered in social functions or when the PC's are in someone's home (especially if they aren't supposed to be there).

Sample Encounter
EL 12: The PC's have been asked to protect the Princess and her pet mouse Boo Boo.  Boo Boo seems to be an odd mouse, and you'd swear he's being stalked by a cat.  Cause anytime the mouse isn't around, there's a cat nosing about.

Boo Boo
CN Grimalkin Rogue 3/Pet 2
Init +3, Senses: Listen +, Spot +, Dark Vision 60'
Languages Common
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   (+3 Dex, +1 Natural)
hp  (9 HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +  
------------------------------------------------
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 16
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

EPIC PET

Hit Die: d6
Skills Points at Each  Level : 8 + int
Class Ability
Class Ability
Bonus Feats: The Epic Pet gains a Bonus Feat every x levels higher than 20th

I Am But a Humble Houseplant
Juuust a fern, nuthin' to see here....
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Level 6 or better
 Benefits: You may now use Alternate Form to become a Plant.  Caster Level for Alternate Form is +2 (this stacks with other Grimalkin Feats).

Battle Shifting
You have learned to use your shifting form to effect in battle.
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin
 Benefits: Any round in which you shift form in battle you gain a +1 Dodge Bonus to AC.  Caster Level for Alternate Form is +2 (this stacks with other Grimalkin Feats).

Improved Battle Shifting
You can repair damage while shifting.
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Battle Shifting
 Benefits:  You may now heal hit point damage as you normally would if casting a Polymorph spell when shifting form.  Caster Level for Alternate Form is +2 (this stacks with other Grimalkin Feats).

Amusing Form
"Awwww..."
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Bluff 6 ranks
 Benefits: When using your Alternate Form Ability you may declare yourself to be using this Feat.  While in Alternate Form your hypercute antics make killing you unthinkable.  Effectively so long as you attack no one you get the benefits of the Sanctuary Spell as a Supernatural Ability.   This Feat may be taken a second time, and if it is the Save DC increases by +1 for each Size Class smaller you are than your opponent.  This Feat may not be used the same time as Intimidating Form.

Intimidating Form
You look badass when shifting.
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Intimidate 6 ranks, Battle Shifting
 Benefits: When using your Alternate Form ability you may declare you are using this Feat.  While in Alternate Form you now have Frightful Presence, and any time you charge or attack your opponent must make a Willpower Save ( Save DC is 10 plus Hit Dice plus Charisma Modifier) or be Shaken for 1d6 rounds.  This Feat may be taken a second time,  If it is, your opponent is Frightened instead of Shaken.  This Feat may not be used the same time as Amusing Form.

I Am But An Innocent Bystander
"Me?  I'm a Gardener..."
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Level 9
 Benefits: You may now use Alternate Form to become Humanoids.  Caster Level for Alternate Form is +2 (this stacks with other Grimalkin Feats).

I Am But A Teensy Elf
"I just showed up to play some pranks, I don't even live here..."
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Level 12
 Benefits:  You may now use Alternate Form to become Fey.  Caster Level for Alternate Form is +2 (this stacks with other Grimalkin Feats).

Impersonation
You've become pretty good at impersonating the locals.
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, I Am But An Innocent Bystander
 Benefits: You no longer take penalties to Disguise Checks for portraying different genders/races/ages, and gain a +2 Bonus on Disguise Checks.

Improved Ghost Form
You're hard to hit.
 Prerequisites: Grimalkin, Ghost Form
 Benefits: The miss chance of your Ghost Form ability increases to 30% (60% at Level 10).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:27:10 AM by bhu »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
The Myrmidon PrC mentions Smite Law a couple of times. I think that's supposed to be Smite Chaos.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »
FIxed  :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
Grimalkins now have fluff.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2011, 04:27:27 AM »
Should i make the Grimalkins long lived?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2011, 06:37:26 AM »
Pet now has fluff

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2011, 12:37:46 AM »
Pets and Grimalkins updated