Author Topic: MMII Redux  (Read 48578 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: MMII Redux
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »
I embellished a little :D

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »
Got the Sylph race done, working on teh PrC now.  Think I should make the Sylvan Defenders arcane or divine?  I'm leaning towards arcane, but elementals are summoned by divine spells unless I make that a class ability.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
Minor updates to Sylvan Defender.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »
The Sylph, it's Racial Feats, and Racial Sub levels are done.  I just need to finish the class abilities for the Sylvan Defender and we can move on to the Asperi.

Any thoughts on what the spell level modifier for the Invisible Spell Metamagic Feat should be?  I was gonna go with 2 levels higher.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
It's remarkably like the Invisible Spell feat from... Cityscape. The one from Cityscape actually costs nothing to use...
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »
It's remarkably like the Invisible Spell feat from... Cityscape. The one from Cityscape actually costs nothing to use...

I has not Cityscape :D

hmmm

Whats the text of the Cityscape one?  I'll need to modify Invisible SLA possibly, and make a new Racial Feat.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2009, 01:17:38 AM »
Quote from: Cityscape, p.61
INVISIBLE SPELL [METAMAGIC]
You can make your spell effects invisible.
Prerequisite: Any metamagic feat.
Bene?t
Camlen, Enniwey

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2009, 12:03:26 PM »
I replaced Invisible Spell with Invisible Familiar,  Lemme know what you think.

I also named her PrC abilities.  Hopefully you find them amusing :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
Got teh Take Your Hands off that Skwirl ability up.  Any thoughts.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2009, 06:04:09 PM »
Losing a 0-level spell (or any other level for that matter) to command: Drop, and later cast sanctuary or invisibility...'tis fine. The DC for the command might be based on the level of spell 'lost' rather than the HD of the Sylph, but that's not horrific, just a minor nit-pick. The DC for the sanctuary should also be taken from the spell level 'lost' (or the HD of the Sylph, no big deal really) so that it's actually useful when you get it...

Edit: Actually, unless the Sylvan Defender gains spellcasting levels, the DC should remain HD based.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:05:42 PM by Chemus »
Camlen, Enniwey

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Losing a 0-level spell (or any other level for that matter) to command: Drop, and later cast sanctuary or invisibility...'tis fine. The DC for the command might be based on the level of spell 'lost' rather than the HD of the Sylph, but that's not horrific, just a minor nit-pick. The DC for the sanctuary should also be taken from the spell level 'lost' (or the HD of the Sylph, no big deal really) so that it's actually useful when you get it...

Edit: Actually, unless the Sylvan Defender gains spellcasting levels, the DC should remain HD based.

Still considering about whether or not she'll gain spell levels.  one of her class abilities will be summoning buffs, and the other will be offensive buffs for her won attack spells.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2009, 09:37:15 AM »
Okay the class abilities are up, and it should be obvious she a blaster/summoner.  Any thoughts on the abilities or caster levels?  Soon as I get htis done the long awaited Asperi is up...

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »
So it looks to me like the Sylph's sorcerer casting at HD+4 is for all hit dice, not just Sylph HD? This allows shenanigans like Loredrake does: a sylph sorcerer 5 is effectively a 17th level sorcerer and is ECL 13. At sorcerer 10, ECL is 18 and Sorcerer level is 27. Is this intentional? Rewording it so that it only effects Sylph HD would bring it back in line with making the Sylph effectively LA +1 for sorcerers only.
Camlen, Enniwey

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »
That seemed to be their intent in MMII, making SYlphs quite nasty.  It also means they can take PrC's missing up to 4 caster levels and still not lose any casting abilities as long as they're a Sorcerer.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »
So it looks to me like the Sylph's sorcerer casting at HD+4 is for all hit dice, not just Sylph HD? This allows shenanigans like Loredrake does: a sylph sorcerer 5 is effectively a 17th level sorcerer and is ECL 13. At sorcerer 10, ECL is 18 and Sorcerer level is 27. Is this intentional? Rewording it so that it only effects Sylph HD would bring it back in line with making the Sylph effectively LA +1 for sorcerers only.

Okay looking at it a sylph sorcerer 5 should effectively be a 12th level sorcerer, and at sorcerer 10 should effectively be a 17th level sorcerer.  Did I word something in a vague way?

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2009, 04:01:30 AM »
Quote from: bhu
All Sylphs cast spells as a Sorcerer equal to their (Hit Dice +4).  This stacks with levels they may have in the Sorcerer class as well.

The way I read that, the sorcerer levels count twice, once as HD, and once as sorcerer levels, so the 12 (at sorcerer 5) becomes a 17.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if it said: "...as a Sorcerer equal to their (Racial Hit Dice +4).  This stacks with..." then it would work as you say. If the convention is that the only HD considered in that calculation are Racial Hit Dice, then I missed it and am an ass.
Camlen, Enniwey

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2009, 07:01:58 AM »
I still have no idea how you're arriving at the numbers you are.  No dig at you, it's just that I'm tired, and deeply in the throes of bronchitis/medication, and I keep reading what you said and I still don't see how you get 17 caster levels.  I modified the post to say Racial Hit Dice, not that it makes a difference.

3 Sylph HD + 5 Sorcerer HD = 8 HD + 4 caster levels, i.e. a 12th level caster.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2009, 05:15:19 AM »
That's cool. As I had read the ability, the sylph could count any sorcerer levels twice for sorcerer casting ability; once as HD for the sylph special ability and once as sorcerer levels.

Sylph Sorcerer 5 has 3 Racial HD, 5 Class HD, and 5 Sorcerer levels. The sorcerer levels stack with the sylph's HD (I had read that as total HD) thus the sylph counts the sorcerer levels twice. So, 3 HD + 5 HD + 4 (sylph bonus) + 5 sorcerer levels = 8+4+5 = 17th level sorcerer casting.

That's how I came up with 17th level casting. Putting in the Racial HD limitation means that they are as you say; 12th level sorcerers at ECL 13.
Camlen, Enniwey

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
Aaah I got it.  Sorry the cold and meds have been screwing me up bad lately...