Author Topic: MMII Redux  (Read 48588 times)

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: MMII Redux
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Whats the difference? They got beards right?

Epic Win  :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »
Whats the difference? They got beards right?

Epic Win  :D

Yes, but now they have beards and pleather corsets.   :smirk

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Until they grow spiked steel codpieces from their nether hair, I remain unfazed!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
Until they grow spiked steel codpieces from their nether hair, I remain unfazed!
That would require a lot of iron in their diets.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
Crap.  I sorta let real life events distract me and I keep forgetting to update this. 

Sorry bout that guys  :blush

I'm starting to edit in Needlfolk Feats now.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »
Okay does everyone think teh Racial Sub levels for Needlefolk Druids are okay?

I have all the Feats but one up so I just need to finish teh PrC and it's on to the next one.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »
Lemme figure out the Quiet Rage ability and the Needlfolk are done.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2009, 09:50:30 AM »
Class abilities are all up.  Any thoughts?  If not Im finishing up and moving on.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
SYLPHS

"This is my friend Mr. Unyielding Storm of Death.  He doesn't like your face."

"Sorry."

"I don't like you either! You just watch yourself! We're wanted me...er...fey...er...thingies! We're wanted thingies! So you just watch it mister!"

Sylphs appear to be small women no more than 3' tall with brightly colored, translucent insect wings.  They prefer to wear filmy, light clothing that provides little if anything in the way of protection, and bright jewelry.

SYLPH RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 110
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +4d6
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +6d6
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +10d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Age: Sylphs do not age upon attaining adulthood, and do not receive bonuses or penalties due to age.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: 2' 6"
 Height Modifier: +2d4"
 Base Weight: 25 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x1 lb.

SYLPH CHARACTERS
 If you wish to play a Sorcerer without losing levels due to Racial Hit Dice, you could do worse than a Sylph.  
 Adventuring Race: Sylphs love travel, and usually if they're on an adventure they simply got caught up in circumstances, or their curiosity got the better of them.
 Character Development: Sylphs already can summon an Elemental and turn Invisible at will, so go the summoning route.  You have a fairy who cant be seen that makes monsters pop up out of nowhere.  Bad guys luv that.  Really they do.
 Character Names: Sylphs tend to use names that belong to whatever race was common in the area they grew up in, or whatever area they currently reside in now.  Many change their name several times over their lifetims, but keep their family surname (which is usually Elvish).

ROLEPLAYING A SYLPH
 You are somewhat exotic to the mortal races.  You tend to not judge by race or appearance but by actions, which makes you fit into other societies easily, and allows you to dwell in the cultures of other races with less problems than most.  But the wild places of the world are sacred, and regardless of your ability to blend socially you will not bend or alter your mind on that point.  You will always oppose despoiling the wilderness.
 Personality: Sylphs are curious, friendly, and pretty even tempered.  it's kind of hard to really make one angry, but it's unwise to do so because they can hold grudges against those few who do truly anger them for decades or longer.  They're also insatiably curious, even to the point of putting themselves at risk on odd occasion (but usually their invisibility negates that risk).  
 Behaviors: Sylphs are always getting into things, always trying to find new and exciting stuff.  They'll always be the one tinkering with magic items or pushing buttons they know shouldn't be pushed just to see what happens.  They'll always be the ones who offend the local demigod by speaking to him as if he was an equal and pestering him with questions.
 Language: Sylphs speak Auran, but have learned Common to communicate with the other races.  Many of them learn other languages due to their willingness to spend their long lives traveling.

SYLPH SOCIETY
 The Sylphs are always moving, and can't really be said to have a true culture or society because they're always absorbing bits and pieces form the various civilizations thy travel through.  They have a few common conventions, but just enough to maintain ties to friends and family really.  Most don't perceive the world in terms that mortal races would understand, and as a result many of the driving forces behind humanoid society (wealth, power, greed, etc) are lost on them.
 Alignment : Most Sylphs are Neutral, with some few being Chaotic Neutral.  Evil and Good don't run strong among them, and neither does Law.  There are always exceptions to the rule of course, but most Sylphs will tend towards neutrality.  Most people think of them as forces of nature more than people.
 Lands : Normally Sylphs live in the Elemental Plane of Air, but being curious and outgoing they love to travel.
 Settlements : Many Sylphs live in the Prime Material Plane at the tops of warm or temperate mountains.  it is rare to actually encounter them there as they tend to travel quite a bit.  But their actual homes tend to be in high, secluded areas.
 Beliefs : Sylphs are a bit flighty, and rarely sit still long enough to absorb any form of religion, although many might worship nature deities if introduced to them properly.
 Relations: Due to their inquisitive and sometimes contradictory nature, the Sylphs rarely get understood to any degree by mortal races.  Races in touch with nature such as Elves get along with them best, but they consider Dwarves to be too dour, Half-Orcs too violent, and Gnomes to be too unpredictable.  Most of them prefer the company of Neutral Fey or Elementals of the Air.

SYLPH ADVENTURES SYLPH RACIAL SUBSTITUTION LEVELS

SORCERER
 Level 1: Replace Familiar with Spell Focus Feat.
  Spell Focus:  Instead of a Familiar you get the Spell Focus (Conjuration) Feat.

DRUID
 Level 1: Replace Animal Companion and Wild Empathy with Elemental Companion and Elemental Empathy.
  Elemental Companion: Instead of an Animal Companion you gain a Small Air Elemental.  As usual you can try to gain a more powerful companion at the cost of losing some of their abilities just like an Animal Companion: 4th level (Medium), 10th level (Large), 13th level (Huge), 16th level (Huge, 21 HD).
  Elemental Empathy: You gain a +4 Circumstance Bonus on Diplomacy Checks against Elementals.

WARLOCK
 Level 1: Sylph Warlocks have access to a race specific Least Eldritch Essence Invocation.
  Spectral Blast: Your Eldritch Blast is invisible this round.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:58:41 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
SYLVAN DEFENDER

"Unhand that squirrel! And put down his nuts too!

"MIMSY!"

"What? What'd I say.  Oooooh...nuts...right, right...sorry."

Sylvan Defenders are defenders of the wild places, particularly the smaller, cuter denizens of the wild places.  In other words they're rabid eco-warriors who have a thing for bunnies and chinchillas.  And don't mind blasting you to make a point.

BECOMING A SYLVAN DEFENDER
Generally you just need to be a Sylph willing to take on the defense of the wilderness or your  homeland.  The Defenders really don't ask much of their applicants.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Race:  Sylph
   Spellcasting:  Must be able to cast Arcane spells of at least 3rd level without preparation, at least one of which from each level should be Conjuration or Abjuration.
   Feats:  Flyby Attack, Hover, Silent Spell
   Skills:  Concentration 8 ranks, Hide 6 ranks, Move Silently 6 ranks

Class Skills
 The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Arcana, Nature, The Planes)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis)
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d4

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +0    +0     +0     +2    TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THAT SKWIRL!, +1 level of Arcane Casting Class
2. +1    +0     +0     +3    My Friend Doesn't Like You
3. +1    +1     +1     +3    I Don't Like You Either!, +1 level of Arcane Casting Class
4. +2    +1     +1     +4    TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THAT SKWIRL!, +1 level of Arcane Casting Class
5. +2    +1     +1     +4    My Friend Doesn't Like You
6. +3    +2     +2     +5    I Don't Like You Either!
7. +3    +2     +2     +5    TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THAT SKWIRL!, +1 level of Arcane Casting Class
8. +4    +2     +2     +6    My Friend Doesn't Like You
9. +4    +3     +3     +6    I Don't Like You Either!
10.+5    +3     +3     +7    Apologize, Or We Will Crush Your Prostate Like A Grape, +1 level of Arcane Casting Class

Weapon Proficiencies: A Sylvan Defender gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THAT SKWIRL! (Su): At 1st level you may "lose" 1 spell of any level to attempt to force any Enemy within 60' to drop any object it is holding (or release a creature it is Grappling) if it fails a Willpower Save (Save DC is 10 plus half HD plus Charisma Modifier) as a Standard Action.

At 4th level you may instead place a Sanctuary spell on any one creature.

At 7th level you may extend your Invisibility to all Allies within a certain range by "losing" a spell of any level.  Range is equal to 5' times the spells level.

My Friend Doesn't Like You (Su): At 2nd level the creatures you Summon using Spells or Abilities are more powerful, and gain an Enhancement Bonus on all Damage Rolls equal to your Wisdom score.

At 5th level they also get this ability to Attack rolls.

At 8th level the Critical Threat Range of all their attacks increases by =1 (i.e. if they normally threatened a Critical on a 20, it's now a 19-20).  This does not stack with other effects that expand Critical Threat Range.

I Don't Like You Either! (Su): At 3rd level when the Sylvan Defender successfully damages an opponent with a spell she gains a Damage Bonus to the roll equal to her Wisdom modifier.

At 6th level she also gains this Bonus on all Attack rolls for spells that require them.

At 9th level the Save DC of any spell she casts that does damage increases by +2 (this does stackk with Feats like Spell Focus).

Apologize, Or We Will Crush Your Prostate Like A Grape (Su):  If you attack an opponent with a spell that does damage when he is unaware of your presence or Denied his Dexterity Bonus to AC he gets no Saving Throw to negate or halve the damage.

PLAYING A SYLVAN DEFENDER
 The wild places are almost holy.  They are unique, and being despoiled by those nasty little humanoid races that consider themselves 'civilized' while killing everything they encounter and spewing their waste everywhere.  They're icky.  And you hate them.   That's why you wait till they're sleeping before you cast the first Lightning Bolt spell right in their ass just to be mean.
 Combat: Your preferred method of fighting is to Summon some Elemental support, go invisible, and zap away with spells or summon more help and buff while remaining unobserved.  No sense taking a club to the face.  the Gods only know how long it's been since that things been washed...
 Advancement: Sylvan Defenders usually concentrate on spells that allow them to hide and summon help.  That way opponents don't realize who their true foe is, and if the summoned mooks get offed they still aren't looking for you.
Resources: Most Sylphs don't really use or understand money, and they have little political or material influence in the world.  However Elementals and Fey admire their dedication to preserving the wild places of the world and will often give their help if they can.

SYLVAN DEFENDERS IN THE WORLD
"Ah was havin' a perfectly good dream bout forcibly humpn' nuns when my taint caught fire.  Never did trust them fairy types, no sir."
 Sylvan Defenders concentrate on keeping unspoiled wilderness in said unspoiled condition.  And they mess up anyone who tries to invade their turf.  Usually being Good by nature they do try to help when they can if someone is in trouble, but the price is leaving the woods behind and not returning (or perhaps doing them a favor).
 Daily Life: Other than the occasional lunch break you tirelessly patrol the woods invisibly waiting for something to happen.  Anything.  Sometimes you get so bored you revise your definition of 'unspoiled wilderness' just so you can go fuck with the locals.
 Notables: Pale Flower (N Female Sylph Sorcerer 6/Sylvan Defender 1) got tired of her remote mountain home being visited by strangers intent on killing her and taking her stuff, so she joined the Defenders.
 Organizations: The Sylvan Defenders are a fairly loose organization that is mostly composed of loners and their friends.  They do keep in contact with one another over long distance in whatever manner they can however, and if need be can summon each other for big problems.

NPC Reaction
 NPC's don't react at all well to invisible pranksters who attach giant leeches to their toes while they're sleeping in an effort to drive them away.  The Defenders have a somewhat bad rep among many of the frontier areas.

SYLVAN DEFENDERS IN THE GAME
 The Defenders obsession with nature doesn't always make them the best for group play unless other PC's are of a similar mind.  They'll do okay in nature themed campaigns, but there's really no reason for them to be in an urban one for any length of time.
 Adaptation: This is equally adaptable to humorous or serious campaigns.  It has more options for the funny one though.  Who doesn't want to play an invisible summoner of doom?
 Encounters: PC's will encounter the Sylvan Defenders on the Elemental Planes (usually Air), some of the more 'wild' Planes like the Beastlands, and of course in areas of remote wilderness untouched by humanoids.  Or at war with humanoids intent on touching said wilderness.  Damn kinky them humanoids.

Sample Encounter
EL 15: "Take your hands off my silverware, and step away from the kitchen with your hands in plain view.  Or I will be forced to open fire."

Pale Flower
N Female Sylph Sorcerer 6/Sylvan Defender 1
Init +3, Senses: Listen +8, Spot +8, Dark Vision 60'
Languages Common, Auran
------------------------------------------------
AC 27, touch 19 flat-footed 24  (+1 Size, +3 Dex, +5 Deflection, +8 Armor)
hp 32 (10 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +15  
+3 w/Cloak
------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Fly 90 ft. (Good)
Base Atk +6, Grp +0
Atk Options Summon Elemental
Combat Gear 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
Spells Prepared 0: 6 (DC 16)
1st: 8 (DC 17)
2nd: 8 (DC 18)
3rd: 7 (DC 19)
4th: 7 (DC 20)
5th: 7 (DC 21)
6th: 6 (DC 22)
7th: 3 (DC 23)
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 22
SQ Improved Invisibility, SR 21, Wild Empathy,
Feats Flyby Attack, Hover, Silent Spell
Skills Bluff +15, Concentration +12, Escape Artist +9, Handle Animal +12, Hide +9, Knowledge (Arcana, Nature) +8, Listen +8, Move Silently +9, Search +5, Spellcraft +6, Spot +8, Survival +8
Possessions +4 Ring of Protection, +8 Bracers of Armor, Robe of Mysterious Conjuration, Staff of Evocation, +3 Cloak of Resistance, 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 500 GP

EPIC SYLVAN DEFENDERS

Hit Die: d4
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int
Spells The Sylvan Defenders Caster Level continues to improve with Epic levels, but she doesn't gain more spells per day or learn new spells.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Sylvan Defender gains a Bonus Feat every 3 levels higher than 20th

SYLPH FEATS

Improved Summoning
Your buddies from the Elemental Plane of Air hang around longer.
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Augment Summoning
 Benefits: When you use your racial ability to Summon an Air Elemental your Caster Level is now equal to 1th level or your Effective Character Level, whichever is greater.

Greater Summoning
Your friends from the Elemental Planes have gotten bigger
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Improved Summoning, Increased Summoning, Caster Level 18th
 Benefits: When using your racial ability to Summon Air Elementals, you now cast Summon Monster IX instead of VI.

Increased Summoning
Your friends drop in to visit more often.
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Improved Summoning, Cha 17
 Benefits: You may now use your Racial Summoning ability 3 times per day.

Epic Summoning
You've put an awful lot of effort into making friends back home, and it's paid off.
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Greater Summoning, Caster Level 21+
 Benefits: When you use your racial Summoning ability you cast it as a Quickened, Silent Spell.  

Invisible Familiar (Metamagic)
Your Familiar shares your invisibility powers.
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Combat Familiar, Lurking Familiar
 Benefits: Whenever you turn invisible as per your Racial ability you may opt to turn your Familiar invisible as well so long as it is within 30' of you.  It remains invisible until you become visible or it is targeted by an effect that dispels invisibility.

Invisible Spell-Like Ability
Your Spell-Like abilities can be used invisibly too.
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Invisible Spell (see Cityscape)
 Benefits: Choose 1 Spell-Like ability, you can use it 3 times per day completely invisibly as per the Invisible Spell Feat.

POW!
It's so much easier to hurt people when they can't see you.
 Prerequisites: Sylph, Invisible Spell
 Benefits: Spells that you cast while invisible that normally do damage do an additional 2 dice of damage.

HYPER POW!
Invisible Fireballs in the taint area are sooooo painful...
 Prerequisites: Sylph, POW!
 Benefits: Spells that you cast while invisible that normally do damage now do an additional 4 dice of damage.

HYPER DEATH POW!
Nothing hurts like a Magic Missile right in the corneal area...
 Prerequisites: Sylph, HYPER POW!
 Benefits: Spells that you cast while invisible that normally do damage now do an additional 6 dice of damage.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:16:51 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
Does anyone now if Sylphs are immortal?  They all appear to be female  so I figured they tend to at least be pretty long lived since they might not have lots of kids...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »
Minor updates to Sylph.  Should I leave their Spell Resistance at 14 or have it scale with level?  And do you think LA +5 is okay?  They only lose 1 caster level id they become a Sorcerer.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
Decent update to the Sylph, smaller update toe the PrC.  Asperi will be coming when they're done. 

Anyone still out there?

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »
Still reading daily!  :p

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »

I must have disappointed you greatly in the last month or so then  :smirk

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »

I must have disappointed you greatly in the last month or so then  :smirk
It's okay, I have no free will of my own.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
That spider does look mighty 'lordly'...

Think 11 plus HD is okay for the Spell Resistance?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
That should be fine.

Also, if you were to change the quote under the Sylph's entry to mirror the cantina scene in Star Wars, I would be very happy.  ;)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »
That should be fine.

Also, if you were to change the quote under the Sylph's entry to mirror the cantina scene in Star Wars, I would be very happy.  ;)

You wouldn't perchance remmeber the quote would you?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »
"He doesn't like you." "Sorry." "I don't like you either! You just watch yourself! We're wanted men."