Author Topic: DMM: innate spell? please tell me I can't...  (Read 2477 times)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
DMM: innate spell? please tell me I can't...
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »
was just looking through crystal keep feat compendium, and noticed that the innate spell from Player's guide to Faerun is listed as a [metamagic].... does this mean DMM: innate spell is ok? it sure beats the hell outta persist...

I do not actually have PGtF, so can someone tell me which detail i missed that makes this invalid? if this is legal by raw..... move over incantatrix!
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: DMM: innate spell? please tell me I can't...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:09:56 AM »
Why DMM?

There is no spell level adjustment...

What exactly are you planning?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »
I don't think this works. For one, Innate Spell isn't applied to a spell you cast, so you never get a chance to use DMM on it. Secondly, DMM circumvents adjustments to the spells level and only adjustments to its level, which Innate Spell doesn't have.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
There are some tricks with it... I believe it turns it into a SLA, so Empower SLA, Maximize SLA, and Quicken SLA can be used with it... I don't know of a single spell (turned into SLA) that I'd be willing to dump so many feats on, though.  (ScM with Silent Image came to mind, but I don't think that works.)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »
There are some tricks with it... I believe it turns it into a SLA, so Empower SLA, Maximize SLA, and Quicken SLA can be used with it... I don't know of a single spell (turned into SLA) that I'd be willing to dump so many feats on, though.  (ScM with Silent Image came to mind, but I don't think that works.)

Umm.. how about adding all the metamagic with DMM BEFORE applying Innate spell?

Would that work, by RAW? It probably wouldn't fly past any DM, but...

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »
It says "Choose a spell that you know".  What does that mean, really?  I don't think that I'd "know" a metamagic'd up spell; I'd just know the spell, with the ability to metamagic it up.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:45:51 PM »
It says "Choose a spell that you know".  What does that mean, really?  I don't think that I'd "know" a metamagic'd up spell; I'd just know the spell, with the ability to metamagic it up.
Hmm... right. Well, it was pretty cheesy, anyway. If a player asked this of me as a DM I would answer, sure, all you have to do is just permanently expend those turn-attempts, too, oh, and NOT from items.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
Innate Spell is also in Complete Arcane and not metamagic there. So you might be able to pull it off in games that use Complete Divine but not Complete Arcane...about .01% of games.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
ok, thanks for the info guys.... I was really worried there. I considered the possibility of using DMM to circumvent the +8 spell level adjustment, allowing someone to grab wish or miracle as a 1/round SLA.....  just glad THAT doesn't work pre-epic!

I do have complete arcane, but not PGtF, and wanted to know if that "innate spell" (with it's [metamagic] tag) was different.  hell, it wouldn't be the first time two similar but differant feats based on the same concept had the same name.....  you'd think WotC would at least make sure they aren't making something with the exact same name as something they already printed.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »
you'd think WotC would at least make sure they aren't making something with the exact same name as something they already printed.
Tell that to Draconic Knowledge from Draconomicon and Dragon Magic. :P
EDIT: In fact, there are two Draconic Knowledges in DM - a feat, and an invocation. The one from Dr is also a feat, but it does something different from the one in DM.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:06:49 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
you'd think WotC would at least make sure they aren't making something with the exact same name as something they already printed.
Tell that to Draconic Knowledge from Draconomicon and Dragon Magic. :P
EDIT: In fact, there are two Draconic Knowledges in DM - a feat, and an invocation. The one from Dr is also a feat, but it does something different from the one in DM.

that was actually the one I was thinking of....

but I didn't realize it was THREE things, with two of them in the same book!  :lmao