Author Topic: Power creep: The Sorcerer  (Read 2316 times)

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Power creep: The Sorcerer
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:00:12 AM »
So the invoker looks like an improved wizard.

The sorcerer looks like a much improved warlock. 

Chaos bolt is basically eldritch blast level damage (slightly higher for the obvious build choice, actually, because +Dex should beat 1d6) with a whole extra cleave-like feature for dealing extra damage to other targets added on. Oh, and it attacks Will. A huge increase in damage output.

Fairest comparison for dailies:
They both have a level 1 daily that targets reflex, does 3d10+Main Stat damage.  The sorcerer gets +Dex damage, and the warlock gets +1d6.  The warlock and sorcerer also get a secondary effect of roughly equal value to 5 ongoing damage (random for sorc, definitely that for warlock).  So the sorcerer does fractionally more damage without having to curse first, but at the cost of some randomness.  Very close.  But the sorcerer does extra damage on a miss.  Outright better.

Or look at the level 1 daily that does 6d6+Cha+Dex damage along with a 50% chance of a very decent debuff.  And it attacks Will.

I hope this is deliberate, and that the warlock will receive a parity-inducing boost in Arcane Power.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:10:58 AM by anomalousman »

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: Power creep: The Sorcerer
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
Well, Warlocks weren't super good as strikers anyway, compared to Rogues and Rangers.  It might be more instructive to compare Rogue/Ranger to the Sorcerer and see where it falls.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
Yea I agree with PI, Warlock are pretty much the most hybrid class in the game. Good skill, decent survivability, good damage and decent control. They aren't a "pure" striker class like the rogue or the ranger.

ChristopherGroves

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »
Warlocks also have the nice benefit of doing well with one attribute good in each couplet.  If only their tertiary was DEX and not INT they would have a handy advantage there.

I've not played beyond 6 yet so no idea how those attribute bennies last in the long term.

What do sorcerers use?

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »
What do sorcerers use?
Chaos Sorcerers are awesome and use Cha + Dex. So either a Drow or the classical Halfling fit the class best.

Being able to use a dagger as implement is a bit WTF though...
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

anomalousman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 11:20:35 PM »
Dragon sorcerers use Cha and Str, with Str applying to AC.  So sorcerers are very good gish material.

Wild sorcerers, having daggers as implements, and being Dex secondary, make obvious daggermasters.  18-20 criticals on all their powers without the drawback of caring about a low [W]?  Why, yes.  Thank you.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
So what book are Sorcerers in again?
I so gotta ask my DM about this once our 4E campaign starts up again...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

anomalousman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »
PH2, coming in 2 months.