Author Topic: I want to CHEAT like a motherfucker at Pathfinder.  (Read 31535 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: I want to CHEAT like a motherfucker at Pathfinder.
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »
... Isn't that what most of us are acknowledging anyway?  :p

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »

You and me =/= most of us. Most of those here are trying to defend the undefendable.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »

You and me =/= most of us. Most of those here are trying to defend the undefendable.

They mentioned core beatsticks, I think... well...

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
Well. I'm not sharing your gaming philosophy but I can't say that it's not true what you're writing (at least the theories).
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

They mentioned core beatsticks, I think... well...

Precisely. Core 3.5 at least offers a few beatstick builds. They're CoDzillas, but if you're expecting balance from core you're doing it wrong.

In Pathfailure though? It's like Dragon Age - mages wtfpwn all, and beatsticks feebly flail to take the last 5% off the mob before it kills everyone.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Hi Welcome

I'm right and you know it. You want examples, here's a fucking classic:

Ice Devil.

The Pathfailure Ice Devil has the same or better defenses against melee, and the same other abilities, but worse saves. Significantly worse. So it's a little bitch to any caster, but automatically annihilates beatsticks.

Or how about White Dragons, the CR 15 one? Much better vs beatsticks, easier vs casters.

On the face of it those are good examples, but lets dig a little deeper. The Ice Devil in 3.5 and Pathfinder both have the same AC, Fortitude and Reflex saves, the Pathfinder Ice Devil has 14 more hitpoints and a Will save 3 points lower. I think a SoD based caster will have an easier time against this enemy, both versions of the Ice Devil have below average HP as an aside. What about melee characters then? Well they all have a higher wealth by level, so that should help a little with attack and defense along with two extra feats and their class level in extra HP, at least. The Ice Devil only gains one more HP in the conversion than any single classed character.

Lets look at the CR 15 White Dragon, in 3.5 it's a very old Dragon, in Pathfinder it's ancient. The HP increase from 3.5 to Pathfinder is paltry, a mere 7 hit points but it receives a rather sizeable 6 point increase to armour class. Extra feats and WBL can only do so much, I think a melee character will have a harder time. The Pathfinder Dragon also sees his Will save increased by one point and his SR increase by 3 points. Humans and half-humans get a +2 ability modifier that's going to go into the casting stat cancelling out that will save increase but the difference in WBL probably won't afford them a way to negate that increase in SR. So this encounter has gotten more difficult for both melee and caster, especially when you consider the dragon gets access to more powerful abilities with its age category increase.

I could start flipping through monster manuals looking for counter examples, but I won't waste people's time. If you look at the averages from levels 1-20, Pathfinder increased HP about 1 point per level (1.17 to be exact), which is about what a Pathfinder character gets from their favoured class bonus. The outliers have less hitpoints than in Pathfinder, the average difference between average and max hitpoints in Pathfinder is 22 hit points, in 3.5 it's 95 hit points. Pathfinder increases the average AC by 1.38 on average, that's not a huge leap. Pathfinder simple doesn't nerf melee characters, the numbers show it.

tl;dr?
Hi Welcome,
lrn 2 math newb

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
Hi Welcome

Ice Devil.

The Pathfailure Ice Devil has the same or better defenses against melee, and the same other abilities, but worse saves. Significantly worse. So it's a little bitch to any caster, but automatically annihilates beatsticks.

Or how about White Dragons, the CR 15 one? Much better vs beatsticks, easier vs casters.

On the face of it those are good examples, but lets dig a little deeper. The Ice Devil in 3.5 and Pathfinder both have the same AC, Fortitude and Reflex saves, the Pathfinder Ice Devil has 14 more hitpoints and a Will save 3 points lower. I think a SoD based caster will have an easier time against this enemy, both versions of the Ice Devil have below average HP as an aside. What about melee characters then? Well they all have a higher wealth by level, so that should help a little with attack and defense along with two extra feats and their class level in extra HP, at least. The Ice Devil only gains one more HP in the conversion than any single classed character.

Lets look at the CR 15 White Dragon, in 3.5 it's a very old Dragon, in Pathfinder it's ancient. The HP increase from 3.5 to Pathfinder is paltry, a mere 7 hit points but it receives a rather sizeable 6 point increase to armour class. Extra feats and WBL can only do so much, I think a melee character will have a harder time. The Pathfinder Dragon also sees his Will save increased by one point and his SR increase by 3 points. Humans and half-humans get a +2 ability modifier that's going to go into the casting stat cancelling out that will save increase but the difference in WBL probably won't afford them a way to negate that increase in SR. So this encounter has gotten more difficult for both melee and caster, especially when you consider the dragon gets access to more powerful abilities with its age category increase.

I could start flipping through monster manuals looking for counter examples, but I won't waste people's time. If you look at the averages from levels 1-20, Pathfinder increased HP about 1 point per level (1.17 to be exact), which is about what a Pathfinder character gets from their favoured class bonus. The outliers have less hitpoints than in Pathfinder, the average difference between average and max hitpoints in Pathfinder is 22 hit points, in 3.5 it's 95 hit points. Pathfinder increases the average AC by 1.38 on average, that's not a huge leap. Pathfinder simple doesn't nerf melee characters, the numbers show it.

tl;dr?
Hi Welcome,
lrn 2 math newb

I guess my question is "Did any of that fix anything?"  Because even you seem to be arguing that everything turned out basically the same.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »
Hi Welcome

Ice Devil.

tl;dr?
Hi Welcome,
lrn 2 math newb

I guess my question is "Did any of that fix anything?"  Because even you seem to be arguing that everything turned out basically the same.
That IS the argument.
Not that its better except in specific items.
Not that its worse except in specific items.

Note also that the Fighter would be getting another +1/4 level to hit and damage, and knowing the doofs they'd use him as a benchmark and forget the others.
And if its a paladin, one full attack later and its a dragon-like crater.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »
I'm not arguing that Pathfinder made the game better, I'm arguing that it didn't make the game worse, which is an important distinction. If someone wants play a game of Pathfinder, that's fine, having them switch to a game of 3.5 won't really improve most peoples game experiences. 3.5 isn't a glorious zenith of game design, neither is Pathfinder the gloomy nadir, once you move past hyperbole you can look at what each system actually does well and get around to the business of using or making the system right for your group.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
Question: why does the SR matter at all? Unless Pathfinder changed how it works, there are still ways around it (namely Conjuration spells, as one example). The casters can still control the battlefield better than anyone else. The beatsticks lost what little BC they had (or became less effective at it).

We all know there are three basic ways to wtfpwn an encounter:

- Battlefield Control. You basically disable your enemy as a threat, then mow it down (or have someone else mow it down) until its HP becomes nonexistent.
- Extreme Debuffing. Pretty much the same, though depending on the debuffs chosen, a single CdG can handle the enemy from that point.
-Rocket Tag. Win initiative, SoD or deal enough damage for an enemy-sized crater.

Most beatsticks only even have Rocket Tag as an option, with REALLY weak BC as a secondary option. The second has been taken away, the former has been weakened for beatsticks.

So, again. How has Pathfinder actually improved upon 3.5 on that subject?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49:32 AM »
Please delete.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:57:29 AM by AleksanderTheGreat »
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
By all means, contribute constructively to the discussion.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »
By all means, contribute constructively to the discussion.
And right back at ya.
Yeah, that post earlier was unnecessary. Can someone delete it? And this to, please.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »
No, seriously. Think about it for a second.

In 3.5, you basically had two directions to go if you wanted to be effective as a beatstick: battlefield control (albeit weaker than a spellcaster's) and direct damage. The first, they pretty much took away. The second got weaker.

How is this an improvement?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2011, 01:06:39 AM »

In 3.5, you basically had two directions to go if you wanted to be effective as a beatstick: battlefield control (albeit weaker than a spellcaster's) and direct damage. The first, they pretty much took away. The second got weaker.

I'm not going to argue that it's an improvement, just that by and large beatsticks break even. As for battlefield control, beatsticks actually do it a bit better than in 3.5, a core PF Barbarian or Fighter could probably put any of their opponents on their ass more reliably than their 3.5 counterpart. They don't get the follow up attack without the feat tax, which is unfortunate.

When I say beatstick, I mean mundane beatstick, in core 3.5 power attack is rarely worth taking. In Pathfinder it's a little bit more useful, all though in both systems I think there will be levels where taking weapon focus will boost your average damage more than power attack which is sad.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »

I'd like to think that the first wasn't taken away, it's just different.  It works marginally better against enemies that are predominantly class-oriented and marginally worse against enemies that are big, bad monsters with a bucket of HD, with the differences being relatively small at low levels and much more noticeable at higher ones.

The second only got weaker so far as using Power Attack.  You just have to get your damage fix somewhere else.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:27 AM »
The second only got weaker so far as using Power Attack.  You just have to get your damage fix somewhere else.
Or just use the 3.5 version, like me.

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »
The second only got weaker so far as using Power Attack.  You just have to get your damage fix somewhere else.

People call this the Oberoni fallacy, it's the idea that a system works if you houserule it. Well it's the houserule that works, and not the system. If you are swapping parts of Pathfinder out for 3.5 that's definitely a black mark against Pathfinder.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2011, 01:40:24 AM »

People call this the Oberoni fallacy, it's the idea that a system works if you houserule it. Well it's the houserule that works, and not the system. If you are swapping parts of Pathfinder out for 3.5 that's definitely a black mark against Pathfinder.
I don't care how it's called. If it works then it's good. :P

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »

I'd like to think that the first wasn't taken away, it's just different.  It works marginally better against enemies that are predominantly class-oriented and marginally worse against enemies that are big, bad monsters with a bucket of HD, with the differences being relatively small at low levels and much more noticeable at higher ones.

The second only got weaker so far as using Power Attack.  You just have to get your damage fix somewhere else.
Power Attack is actually core-stronger because you require less optimization to use it to effect. And it actually works at all with light weapons. Unless you are using Shock Trooper or some other way to dump it all to hit AND still connect, you profit from PF PA.

The first though, they mostly reintroduced differently. And I might add the whole CMB/CMD business favors PCs somewhat more than the old ability checks.
Trip went from Str(expected +4 to +6)+Size(usually 0)+Feat vs Str(+5 to +10)+Size(which adds +4 to +8),
to
Str/Dex(expected +5 to +7 due to easier stat boosts from human)+BAB+Size(still +0)+Feat vs Str(+6 to +11)+Dex(usually 0 to +2 on a strong monster)+BAB(often 3/4 but about equivalent thanks to monstrous HD numbers)+Size(+1 to +2).
So it becomes a problem at later levels, because monsters have absurd stats(which they have in either version).

Again, no real improvement, the points shifted around a bit but the good and bad don't fundamentally alter the game.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:20:06 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."