Author Topic: Chaos Monk Redux  (Read 73000 times)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Chaos Monk Redux
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:21 AM »
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D :lol

PS: If Kung Fu Mystic is taken then the Cha bonus applies to the Will save as well?

PS II: SR from Madonna piercing apply only for Pierced Monk levels or do they apply for Chaos Monk levels as well?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:44:57 PM by Nuntius Mortis »
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
Here's a build up for a Chaos Monk 7/Pierced Monk 10:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=136346

bhu, feel free to correct me if I've done anything wrong :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:26 AM »
I only had time to peek at it briefly but my initial thoughts were:  :o

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »

For Babel Speech we must choose one out of the 4 options to use permanently or we can use all 4 but just not at the same time together?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »
I'm guessing nobody wants to touch the naked, pierced maniac...not with a 10ft pole, not even with a fireball. :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
I'm guessing nobody wants to touch the naked, pierced maniac...not with a 10ft pole, not even with a fireball. :D

Basically, with a Charisma of 30 I guess that he'd be pretty good-looking. But he still is a naked, pierced maniac as you said :lol

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »
"My EYES! I must not look and yet I cannot look away!"
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »

For Babel Speech we must choose one out of the 4 options to use permanently or we can use all 4 but just not at the same time together?

You can use any of the 4 effects, just only one at a time, like Dark SPeech.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »

You can use any of the 4 effects, just only one at a time, like Dark SPeech.

Ah, great :)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
Okay the Unenlightened Fist now has a capstone.  Think it's too powerful?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »
Guess not.  TIme for something new:

THE PROFANE FISTS

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT ERYTHNUL MOTHERFUCKER?"

Upon noticing that some Monks combined their martial studies with religious research (in other words gaining access to Divine Power), the Chaos Monks decided to do the same with the various Chaotic deities.  The results were...less harmonious.  Much less harmonious.  The Profane Fists tend to worship the Gods of Chaos less than use their religion as an excuse to get their way.  But since the Gods do actually exist the Monks make sure to cover their bases on their holy duties.  And since these involve things they'd likely be doing anyway...

BECOMING A PROFANE FIST
Most Profane Fists are Chaos Monks who drifted into priestly study (or vice versa).

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   BAB:  +4
   Skills:  Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks
   Feats:  Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
   Spells:  Must be able to cast 1st level Divine Spells  

Class Skills
 The Profane Fist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +1    +2     +0     +2    Monk Abilities, +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
2. +2    +3     +0     +3    +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
3. +3    +3     +1     +3    +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
4. +4    +4     +1     +4    Profane Lightning 1/day
5. +5    +4     +1     +4    +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
6. +6    +5     +2     +5    Third Eye, +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
7. +7    +5     +2     +5    +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
8. +8    +6     +2     +6    Profane Lightning 2/day
9. +9    +6     +3     +6    +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class
10.+10   +7     +3     +7    Chaos Armor, +1 level of Divine Spellcasting Class

Weapon Proficiencies: A Profane Fist gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Monk Abilities: A Profane Fists Monk and Profane Fist levels stack for purposes of determining his Unarmed Strike Damage, Unarmored AC Bonus, and Chaos Strike Abilities.

Profane Lightning (Su): Once per day (twice per day at 8th level) as a Standard Action the Profane Fist can envelop his fists in black lightning.  It does additional damage equal to (Profane Fist Level plus Wisdom Modifier), half of which is electricity damage, and the other half of which is Profane damage.  It lasts for 1 minute.

Third Eye (Su): At 6th level the Profane Fist can permanently See Invisibility, as per the spell.

Chaos Armor (Su): Once per day the Profane Fist may invoke the protection of Chaos as a Standard Action.  His Chaos Armor provides him with an effetc identical to the Cloak of Chaos spell for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma Modifier.

PLAYING A PROFANE FIST
 Your god is the one true god.  The only god worth worshiping.  And anyone who says otherwise gets catheterized with an iron stick. 'Lil trick you picked up from some Dwarven torturers.  Too bad you hadda kill 'em, they could've taught you some stuff.  But they looked at you funny one day.
 Combat: Profane Fists strive to be unpredictable in combat, which generally means they eschew tactics and planning for screaming maniacally and flailing at you hoping sheer ferocity will make up for their lack of common sense.  What really pisses you off is it seems to work for them.
 Advancement: Some Fists actually believe in their God, and do their best to further his goals as opposed to their own.  Many others just use that God as an excuse to wreak havoc (which is okay with some of the Chaotic deities).
Resources: You rarely have any resources you can't steal yourself unless you belong to a Church and actually adhere to it's cause.  Then you can get some favors if it's in the Churches interest.

PROFANE FISTS IN THE WORLD
"Is that asshole dancing naked on the roof swinging a chain again?"
 You tend to interact with the world in brief moments of violence or drug induced weirdness.  Chaotic religions often encourage their members to try alcohol or mind altering substances, which tends to be okay with you since you can blame your addictions on your religion.  Well if the Guard actually listened to you anymore you could...
 Daily Life: You do what's necessary to pay lip service to your cult, unless you actually believe in their goals in which case you're on some sort of mission for them.  Otherwise you tend to get into trouble.
 Notables: Mo (CE Human Male Cleric 1/Chaos Monk 6/Profane Fist 5) is a devotee of Erythnul because it allows him to attack people.  After all he's not crazy, it's his religious duty.  Wink.  Wink.  Nudge.
 Organizations: Almost all Profane Fists belong to a Church, and if they're in good standing with that Church they can occasionally call on it for aid.  Particularly if they're willing to occasionally lend a hand when the Church needs a lil muscle...

NPC Reaction
 NPC's regard the Profane Fists as violent lunatics, hypocrites, or dangerous zealots.  Basically there's really no positive reaction unless said NPC belongs ot the same Church, and even then he might not get along with the Fists.

PROFANE FISTS IN THE GAME
 This class is meant too be played as mean spirited and disruptive, so be careful about allowing it for those reasons.
 Adaptation: Profane Fists can go in serious or silly campaigns with equal ease, as long as there are Churches to Chaotic deities.  Explaining them gets tricky otherwise.
 Encounters: Most Profane Fists will be encountered in their Churches, or on missions for them, or pretending to be representatives of a Church in order to get their way.

Sample Encounter
EL 12: "My religious beliefs dictate I violently murder you and your friends.  Nothing personal, you're just available."

Mo
CE Human Male Cleric 1/Chaos Monk 6/Profane Fist 5
Init +2, Senses: Listen +3, Spot +3
Languages Common
------------------------------------------------
AC 25, touch 20, flat-footed  23(+2 Dex, +4 Wis, +4 Deflection, +5 Armor)
hp 54 (12 HD)
Fort +11, Ref +8, Will +14  
Disturbed Mind
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Unarmed Strike +14/+9 (1d10+10)
Base Atk +9, Grp +10
Atk Options Unarmed Damage, Chaos Strike (Magic, Chaos), Rebuke Undead 6/day, Profane Lightning 1/day (4 points electricity and 4 points profane damage)
Combat Gear 2 Beads of Force, 1 Potion of Cure Serious Wounds
Spells Per Day 0: 5 (DC 13)
1st: 4 (DC 14)
2nd: 3 (DC 15)
3rd: 2 (DC 16)
Caster Level 5th
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 16
SQ AC Bonus, Body in Flux (+3), Mutation (Deadly Ego), Domains (Chaos, Evil)
Feats Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Disturbing Vows, Stunning Fist, Vow of Ultra-Violence, Vow of Violence, Disturbed Priest (B), Extra Mutation (Deadly Ego)(B), Fiendish Monk (B)
Skills Bluff +7, Concentration +9, Hide +6, Intimidate +12, Knowledge (Religion) +13, Move Silently +6, Spellcraft +10, Tumble +13
Possessions +2 Amulet of Mighty Fists, +4 Ring of Protection, +5 Bracers of Armor, 2 Beads of Force, 1 Potion of Cure Serious Wounds, 250 GP

EPIC PROFANE FIST

Hit Die: d8
Spells Your caster level continues to increase with Epic Levels, but you do not gain extra spells per day.
Profane Lightning You gain an additional daily use of Profane Lightning at Level 24 and every 4 levels there after.
AC Bonus The Profane Fist's bonus to AC when unarmored continues to increase by +1 for every 5 levels.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Profane Fist gains a Bonus Feat every 5 levels higher than 20th
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:26:28 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »
2 New Feats on page 6, Minor update ot the Profane Fists.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
Another minor update to the Profane FIsts.  Sorry this isn't working out as quickly as I'd originally thought.  Real life keeps finding ways to interfere.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Minor update to Profane Fists.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:10 AM »
Another update to the FIsts.  They should be done soon.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
Capstone is up.  Any thoughts?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
FROGBOY

"Yeah, my Momma got nekkid in Limbo.  What of it?"

At some point your family became 'involved' with a Slaad mutant who propagated his kind in a manner other the normal way, i.e. mating as opposed to egg implantation.  Some time later you were born, with distinctly toad'ish' features.  Needless to say you were bullied for a short period of time before your superhuman powers manifested themselves and you ate people.  Ahh the good old days...

BECOMING A FROGBOY
You don't become a Frogboy, you're born one.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Feats:  Improved Unarmed Strike, 2 Slaad Heritage Feats, Extra Mutation (Extraplanar Blood: Limbo)
   Skills:  Jump  8 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks
   Base Saving Throws:  All Base Saves must be +5 or higher

Class Skills
 The Frogboy's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana, The Planes)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Hit Dice: d8

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +0    +2     +2     +2    Mutation (Bite), Monk Abilities
2. +1    +3     +3     +3    Planar Travel
3. +2    +3     +3     +3    Croak
4. +3    +4     +4     +4    Mutation (Claws)
5. +3    +4     +4     +4    Planar Travel
6. +4    +5     +5     +5    Croak
7. +5    +5     +5     +5    Mutation (Enhanced Damage)
8. +6    +6     +6     +6    Planar Travel
9. +6    +6     +6     +6    Croak
10.+7    +7     +7     +7   Slaad Apotheosis

Weapon Proficiencies: Frogboys gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Mutation (Ex): At 1st level the Frogboy gets a Bite primary Natural Attack that does damage equal to his Unarmed Strike damage.  He may use any weapon or 2 unarmed strikes as secondary weapons if he makes a Full Attack.

At 4th level the Frogboy gains claws as Secondary Natural Attacks that do slashing or piercing or bludgeoning damage (his choice) equal to his Unarmed Strike damage.

At 7th level the Frogboys claws and bite do 1 extra d6 of damage.

Monk Abilities: Your Frogboy and Chaos Monk levels stack for purposes of determining your Unarmed Strike damage and Chaos Strike abilities.

Planar Travel (Su): At 2nd level you may use Planar Tolerance (as per the Spell) at will, but only to avoid the effects of Limbo.

At 5th level you may cast Planar Exchange 3 times per day (you summon a Red Slaad instead of the usual monsters though).

At 8th level you may Plane Shift (as per the spell) at will, but only to Limbo and the Prime Material Plane.

Croak (Su): At 3rd level you may unleash a hideous croak once per encounter making all creatures within 20' (except other Slaad and Frogboys) make a Fortitude Save (DC is 10 plus half Hit Dice plus Constitution Modifier) or be Stunned for 1d3 rounds.

At 6th level this ability may be used twice per encounter, but you must wait 1d4 rounds after using it the first time.  It's range increases to 30'.

At 9th level this ability may be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Slaad Apotheosis Ex): At 10th level the Frogboy finishes it's change into a Slaad, and becomes an Outsider with the Chaotic and Extraplanar Subtypes.  He also gains Energy Resistance 5 (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, and Sonic).

PLAYING A FROGBOY
 The Plane of Limbo calls to you like a Siren.  It is your goal to go to it someday as soon as you figure out how.  In the meantime you further the unguessable goals of your monstrous parents race whenever possible.  Your slight resemblance to them makes you an outcast among your mortal parents race.
 Combat: Frogboys prefer to fight with the natural weapons they develop as they get older.  Most enter unarmed combat training as soon as they can.  More for survival than out of love for it.  Being a good fighter keeps them from being lynched anytime something goes wrong in their vicinity.
 Advancement: It is the intention of Frogboys to join their inhuman parents in Limbo, and they study all possible means of achieving this goal.  Combat is a necessity for survival, but it's mastery does not consume them the way their quest for planar travel does.
Resources: Some Chaotic priests or mages might help the Frogboys further their goals in order to make peaceful contact or arrange for a pact with the Slaad.  Beyond these occasional individuals or some other open minded eccentric they tend to be shunned.

FROGBOYS IN THE WORLD
"Ah don't like Luther.  He keeps starin' at me...starin' with them big frawg eyes..."
 You get mighty damn tired of all the frog and toad jokes.  Mighty damn tired.  The chicken sandwich jokes are beginning to piss you off too.  You'd think after you ripped off the last guys head and kicked it like a football people would think twice.  But the jokes juuuust keep coming.  Someday when you can learn to summon Dad they'll all get whats coming to them...
 Daily Life: Much of you time is devoted to study perfecting your physical form and mind for the trials that lie ahead for you.  Likely you have few friends or family so  you have no real distractions.  After all, they put Mom in the madhouse years ago, and the rest of the family disowned you and her both.  
 Notables: Rork (CN Male Human Chaos Monk 6/Frogboy 6) seems to be a fairly normal if reclusive boy.  But his face is vaguely toadlike, and you have heard rumors the rest of him is more than a little nonhuman as well.  He does seem capable of some remarkable feats...
 Organizations: Frogboys tend to recognize and support one another even if the goals of their parents tend to be at odds.  Their alliance may change once they can walk back and forth between this world and Limbo, but till then no one else in this world understands them at all but another of their own kind.

NPC Reaction
 NPC's tend to point and stare while laughing or making signs to ward off evil. Quite honestly you get treated like a black man in Alabama in the 1940's.  Which is to say not too well.

FROGBOYS IN THE GAME
 Frogboys tend to be openly discriminated against because of their mixed race.  Make sure your players can handle that, or alter their origins before introducing them to the campaign.
 Adaptation: This could go for a serious or dark campaign quite easily, but it's racial overtones may make it twitchy to use without offending people in silly campaigns.
 Encounters: PC's can encounter Frogboys anywhere there is research being done into planar travel as they wish to know how it's done.  They are also welcome at many temples that train Chaos Monks due to their nature, and experienced Frogboys can be found on the Plane of Limbo as well.

Sample Encounter
EL 12: "THAT'S IT!!  THAT'S THE LAST FUCKING TIME I LISTEN TO ANY BULLSHIT HORNY TOAD JOKES FROM YOU SOPHOMORIC ASSHOLES!! YOU'RE ALL DEAD GOT IT?  DEAD!!  THE ISLAND OF IGNORANCE YOU LIVE ON TO PROTECT YOURSELVES FROM THE WAKING WORLD WILL NOT LAST FOREVER!"

Rork
CN Male Human Chaos Monk 6/Frogboy 6 (Chaotic)
Init +1, Senses: Listen +6, Spot +6
Languages Common
AC 23, touch 17, flat-footed 22 (+1 Dex, +2 Wis, +4 Deflection, +6 Armor)
hp 66 (12 HD)
Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +12  
Disturbed Mind
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Bite +10 melee (2d8+2) and 2 Claws +8 melee (2d8+1)
Melee Unarmed Strike +10/+5 (2d8+2)
Ranged +1 Javelin +10 (1d6+1)
Base Atk +8, Grp +10
Atk Options Chaos Strike (Magic, Chaos, DC 18 or be Confused on Critical), Unarmed Damage, Croak 2/Encounter (DC 17)
Combat Gear 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 14
SQ Unarmored AC Bonus, Body in Flux (+3), Mutation (Chaotic Subtype, Bite, Claws), Planar Travel
Feats Extra Mutation (Extraplanar Blood: Limbo), Improved Grapple, Multiattack, Slaad Heritage, Slaad Resistance, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Slaad Heritage (B), Slaad Power (B), Slaad Presence (B)
Skills Balance +5, Bluff +6, Climb +6, Concentration +9, Intimidate +6, Jump +10, Knowledge (The Planes) +8, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +6, Tumble +9
Possessions +4 Ring of Protection, +6 Bracers of Armor, + Returning Distance Javelin, 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 199 GP

EPIC FROGBOY

Hit Die: d8
Bonus Feats: The Epic Frogboy gains a Bonus Feat every 2 levels higher than 20th
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:52:14 AM by bhu »

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »
With the mutable age ability, what happens if you are a true dragon because a wyrmling taking a few levels than immediatly becomeing a great wyrm?  :o

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:05 AM »
With the mutable age ability, what happens if you are a true dragon because a wyrmling taking a few levels than immediatly becomeing a great wyrm?  :o

Hmm...I'll reword it a lil...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »
Minor fluff update to Frogboy, and added Slaad Heritage Feat to page 6.  Lemm know if you think it's too unbalanced.