Author Topic: Chaos Monk Redux  (Read 72984 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Chaos Monk Redux
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
xD That was good. xD
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »
xD That was good. xD

Lets see if you still feel that way after reading it again.  The fluff is up.  Abilities coming soon.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
:twitch
The fact that this is the first response is awesome. This class is so disturbing it's awesome.  I'm almost tempted to say it belongs in the Mature thread, ROFL. :lol
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »
Okay I've started editing in the class abilities.  I know you're gonna feel a little uneasy seeing the name of the capstone, but it's just an ability to allow you to get away with doing outrageous things really.  The name is just coincidentally bad...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
Okay I've started editing in the class abilities.  I know you're gonna feel a little uneasy seeing the name of the capstone, but it's just an ability to allow you to get away with doing outrageous things really.  The name is just coincidentally badgood...
Fixt.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
penis? Oh goodness no, this is an inflamed lymph node.  Why? Is it noticeable? (Su):

:twitch whimper

itsjustadreamitsjustadreamitsjustadreamitsjustadreamitsjustadreamitsjustadream....

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »
Does the wording for Hey Look At Me! seem okay?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »
Okay I have all the class abilities up but one, and I may need to make a Feat or so to give their Insanity ability some support.

But other than that whaddya think?  Still spooky?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2009, 09:07:25 AM »
It's cool. Most DMs I know would flip though. rofl.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
Okay I added another Chaos Feat to page 6 (still trying to think of prereqs for Clestial Monk).

I finished up the Zerth Whacker but for the example NPC.  Any thoughts on the abilities?  If it's okay I'll tidy up and start a new one.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
THE UNENLIGHTENED FIST

"That's what your Mom said last night!"

Some Monks pursue perfection (or at least their ideal of it) through study or training.  Some even mix philosophy or magical scholarship with their training.  These are not those Monks.  These are beer swilling, vulgar, coarse idiots with nothing better to do than get into fights for no purpose other than because they can.  These are the Monks who pee on your hot dog stand during business hours and tell you to do something about it if you don't like it.  We can't recommend smiting them yourself as they're pretty good at fighting.  Hire an adventurer to do it :D

BECOMING AN UNENLIGHTENED FIST
Being a Chaos Monk with a bad temper as a result of realizing how dogshit stupid you are is the main way people end up pursuing this class.  One day they just realize "My life is crap.  And it's always gonna be that way.  So I might as well make everyone else miserable while I can."  Many are also fascists, racists, or whatever other kind of "ist" implies "asshole".

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Skills:  Intimidate 8 ranks, Bluff 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks,
   Feats:  Fists of Iron, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fists
   Class Abilities:  Rage

Class Skills
 The Unenlightened Fist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Local)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +0    +2     +0     +2    Fists of Rage, Monk Abilities
2. +1    +3     +0     +3    Fits of Rage
3. +2    +3     +1     +3    Brute Force and Ignorance
4. +3    +4     +1     +4    Fists of Rage
5. +3    +4     +1     +4    Fits of Rage
6. +4    +5     +2     +5    Brute Force and Ignorance
7. +5    +5     +2     +5    Fists of Rage
8. +6    +6     +2     +6    Fits of Rage
9. +6    +6     +3     +6    Brute Force and Ignorance
10.+7    +7     +3     +7    Strength Before Wisdom

Weapon Proficiencies: An Unenlightened Fist gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Fists of Rage (Ex): At first level your Unarmed Strikes do +1d6 damage when you are Raging.

This increases to +2d6 at level 4, and +3d6 at level 7.

Monk Abilities: Your Unenlightened Fist and Chaos Monk levels stack for purposes of determining your Unarmed Strike Damage and your Unarmored Bonus to AC.

Fits of Rage (Ex): At levels 2, 5, and 8 you gain 1 additional daily use of Rage.

Brute Force and Ignorance (Ex):  You have a marked disdain for intelligence and prefer to settle your problems with force.  The power of Chaos in you manifests this in interesting ways.  At 3rd level you gain a +2 Bonus against all effects, abilities, powers, spells, etc.; whose Saving Throws are Intelligence Based.

At 6th level the Bonus increases to +4, and now includes all Saving Throws that are Wisdom based.

At 9th level whenever you successfully critically strike an opponent in melee, he must make a Fortitude Save (DC is 10 plus half HD plus Str Modifier) or be unable to use any skills or class abilities that key off of Intelligence for 1d3 rounds.

Strength Before Wisdom (Su): Despite the name of this ability, it applies to mental ability in general.  Total up your Int, Wis, and Cha; while the DM does the same for your opponent.  If your opponents total is greater, you gain a Morale Bonus equal to the difference on all attack and damage rolls against him.

PLAYING AN UNENLIGHTENED FIST
 People owe you.  You wuz born stupid, and no one likes you, so they owe you a living.  And you're gonna take it from them.  Damn straight.  And you'll just kick the ass of anyone who tells you no or gets in the way.
 Combat: Run up to the opponent, insult him, and then repeatedly begin slamming your fist into his head until he gives you money or food or women.  Repeat as it becomes necessary.  Kick the laws ass if they show up too.
 Advancement: Due to their self imposed lack of education most Unenlightened Fists all go down the same road: A life of petty crime and fist fights before a horribly violent death.  But occasionally they can steal some decent pie for lunch, so they think it's a pretty fair trade. Bunch'a goobers...
Resources: Unenlightened Fists are usually dirt poor.  It's why they became Monks so they could get food by begging (i.e. shaking other people down and robbing them).

UNENLIGHTENED FISTS IN THE WORLD
"What did you just call me?"
 You interact with the world by beating up anyone better off than yourself.  And anyone different than yourself.  And anyone who insults you.  As a matter of fact, you try beating up anything or anyone you can easily think of an excuse to fight.  Not that many people other than your dimwit friends ever accept your excuses.
 Daily Life: Your daily life consists of intervals of fighting, stealing, going hungry if you haven't stolen, and accusing the locals of looking down on you unfairly despite your beating them every chance you get.
 Notables: Turk (CE Human Male Chaos Monk 4/Barbarian 2/Unenlightened Fist 6) has been poor all his life, and now even his Master is gone.  Killed by the private mercenaries of a local Noble.  He will pay.  But his family will pay first...
 Organizations: Organizations that need cheap muscle or hired bullies draw Unenlightened Fists like flies.  The more extreme and brutal the organizations creed is, the more Fists end up joining it.

NPC Reaction
 Most people hate you.  Whether your goal is to kill the rich, or kill the Half Elves, or kill the city guard, you have very few allies who aren't just like you.  The perception of you as an uneducated neo-nazi thug probably doesn't help either...

UNENLIGHTENED FISTS IN THE GAME
 If you go with the racist possibility as a background for this PrC, make sure everyone playing can handle it.  If not you may wish to restrict this PrC.  Besides they can always simply hate the rich or some specific group like the Nobles or the Merchant's Guild as well..
 Adaptation: This is easy to plop into any campaign that has a city with a large poor population.  Large cities tend to create income disparities that create situations for the Unenlightened Fists to take hold and grow in.
 Encounters: PC's will usually encounter Unenlightened Fists in large cities.  They usually have no wilderness survival skills, and don't want to leave their home despite obviously hating everyone in it.

Sample Encounter
EL 12: "HEY! Hey who said you could come into our city?  Have you paid your toll yet?  There's a toll for freaks like you.  Let's see your coinpurse..."

Turk
CE Human Male Chaos Monk 4/Barbarian 2/Unenlightened Fist 6
Init +1, Senses: Listen +5, Spot +5
Languages Common
------------------------------------------------
AC 23, touch 18, flat-footed 22 (+1 Dex, +4 Wis, +4 Deflection, +5 Armor)
AC Raging 21, touch 16, flat-footed 20 (-2 Rage, +1 Dex, +4 Wis, +4 Deflection, +5 Armor)
hp 82 (12 HD), 106 Raging
Fort +16 (+18 Raging), Ref +9, Will +13 (+15 Raging)
Disturbed Mind, Uncanny Dodge, Brute Force and Ignorance +4
------------------------------------------------
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee Unarmed Strike +12/+7 (1d8+3)
Melee Raging Unarmed Strike +14/+9 (1d8+5+2d6)
Base Atk +9, Grp +10 (+12 Raging)
Atk Options Unarmed Strike, Chaos Strike (Magic), Rage 3/day, Fists of Rage +2d6
Combat Gear
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 12 (+16 Raging), Dex 12, Con 15 (+19 Raging), Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 14
SQ AC Bonus, Body in Flux (+2)
Feats Extend Rage, Fists of Iron, Instantaneous Rage, Mad Foam Rager, Power Attack, Stunning Fists, Brutal Stunning (B), Deafening Slap (B), Fists of Confusion (B),
Skills Bluff +7, Climb +4 (+6 Raging), Concentration +7, Hide +4, Intimidate +10, Jump +4 (+6 Raging), Listen +5, Move Silently +4, Spot +5, Survival +7, Tumble +4
Possessions +2 Amulet of Mighty Fists, +4 Ring of Protection, +5 Bracers of Armor, Ring of Sustenance, +2 Vest of Resistance, 500 GP

EPIC UNENLIGHTENED FIST

Hit Die: d8
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int
Rage At level 22 and every 4 levels thereafter the Unenlightened Fist gains an additional daily use of Rage.
Brute Force and Ignorance At level 23 and every 4 levels thereafter the Bonus increases by +2.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Unenlightened Fist gains a Bonus Feat every 4 levels higher than 20th
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:30:43 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »
Added a new Feat on page 6, got Celestial Monk its prerequisites finally, and added the fluff to Unenlightened Fist.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
Unenlightened Fist is almost done, except for the capstone.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »
Great work, bhu. I'm seriously thinking playing a Chaos Monk / Pierced Monk / Nekkid Mauler as one of my characters in the BG arena :clap

But I have a question. Kung Fu Mystic says that Cha modifier replaces the Wis modifier when it comes to Chaos monk abilities. Does it extend to Chaos Monk's AC?
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
Yup

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »
Yup

Great. Now, the only think that I'm waiting about is that the Chaos Monk Redux is accepted by the Arena Manager in the BG arena :D

The Chaos Monk / Pierced Monk build is almost ready (only the race is partially undecided as of yet) :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:12 AM »
I have patiently been awaiting an Arena review  :D

Nudge

Nudge

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
If you take the Narcissist's Boon mutation then those HP apply for the level that you took the mutation and after or they apply to all the previous levels as well?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
Umm...we'll say it's retroactive and applies to past levels too.