Author Topic: Hand 2 Hand (Working Title), a Plug'n'Play melee engine.  (Read 2914 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Hand 2 Hand (Working Title), a Plug'n'Play melee engine.
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:55:44 AM »
Hand 2 Hand
This system is designed as a primary melee engine in my current Turn-Based Strategy project, as well as an optional system for D20 systems. It's primary function is to increase the potency and entertainment value of melee combat through use of "combo" driven attacks. It will also hopefully simplify concepts such as tripping and grappling by incorporating them into the general system.

To unleash her most potent physical attacks, a combatant must find an opening in her foe's defense... or make one. So too must your characters find and create openings to make the most of their physical prowess.
Upon entering combat, a character gains a special point pool (from here on referred to as a Blocking Pool). The Blocking pool starts at 0 points or higher depending on feats the character may have, and drops by a number of points depending on the attack when the character is hit, or what move the character attacks an enemy with. Some attacks, such as the jab, are quick and deal little damage, but are more accurate and serve as a steady way to deplete an enemy's Blocking Pool. Other attacks like spin-kicks deal massive amounts of damage, but reduce your own Blocking Pool more than the enemy's

So why does this matter exactly? Because you cannot safely pull off powerful moves without first reducing your opponent's Blocking Pool. In a d20 system, that means that if an attack you execute brings your blocking pool below your opponent's, any threatening opponent can make an attack of opportunity against you. What's worse? Even people without Combat Martial Arts or Improved Unarmed Strike threaten. They simply don't deal lethal damage. In addition Characters using lethal weapons against characters wielding non-lethal weapons (including untrained fists) also gain a +4 to attacks of opportunity gained in this way. Attacks with a BP cost of 0 never provoke attacks of opportunity.
A character may disengage from combat to refill his Blocking Pool. He regains 2 points to his pool for every round he spends outside of combat. Disengaging from combat is a full-round action, and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Attacks:
Each type of melee attack wields a different effect, and has a different cost in Blocking Points. Different feats allow for different available moves. However, non-proficient characters have a very limited set of attacks to draw from, and lose a point from their blocking pool every time they miss.
Note for D20 Systems: A character still relies on base attack bonus for the number of base attacks he can use. Special attacks, like Double Jab, which allow for two attacks, still only use one BAB-granted attack. (A Strong Hero 10/Martial Artist 10 could use Double Jab to attack eight times in one round, though her damage output would only be as impressive as though she were making four attacks).

Basic Attacks - A non-proficient character has access to the following melee attacks. BP cost for all below attacks is doubled, and the attack rolls take a -4 penalty, when a non-proficient character attempts to deal lethal damage.

Unarmed/Armed:

Jab (y/y)
BP Cost: 0
Effect: This attack deals half damage, and adds a +4 to your attack roll. It reduces the target's BP by 1.

Hook/Cross-slash (y/y)
BP Cost: 1
Effect: This attack deals normal damage. It reduces the target's BP by 2.

Hay Maker/Flourish (y/y)
BP Cost: 4
Effect: This powerful, unbalanced punch deals double your normal damage. It reduces the target's BP by 2.

Tackle (y/n)*
BP Cost: 8
Effect: This attack deals damage one die-size larger than your normal unarmed attack. Both you and the opponent are now prone and grappling.
*Armed characters may still use this attack, but they must use their unarmed attack modifiers and damage die.

Advanced attacks are granted to proficient characters. Characters who gain Combat Martial Arts, for instance, can now deal lethal damage with all of the above attacks at no penalty, and choose training in a specific martial art for new attacks. Manufactured weapons also have different available combat styles to choose from, each keying off of power, swiftness, takedowns, grappling or a rounded set of moves.

Grappling is broken into a similar set of moves, which can only be accessed after one opponent has initiated a grapple with another.

Basic Grappling - An untrained character has access to the following grappling moves. BP costs for all below moves are doubled, and the attack rolls take a -4 penalty, when a non-proficient character attempts to deal lethal damage.
You can only retreat from a grapple when you have more BP than your opponent does.

Unarmed/Armed

Grip Limb
Effect: This attack deals no damage, but reduces the opponent's BP by 1

Restrain Limb
BP Cost: 3
Effect: This attack deals no damage, but reduces the opponent's BP by 5

Arm-Bar
BP Cost: 5
Effect: This attack deals your normal unarmed damage, and reduces the opponent's BP by 7

Choke Hold
BP Cost: 8
Effect: This attack deals no damage, but forces the opponent to make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2BAB+Strength modifier) or fall unconscious.

Martial Arts Training

A character can train in a specific martial art to gain a new set of moves, making her more effective in melee combat. Any set of the following list can be taken any time the character chooses the "Martial Art Specialization" feat.

Boxing

Double Jab
Effect: This attack functions as Jab, but allows two attacks instead of just one.

Punch
Effect: This attack deals your normal unarmed damage, and decreases your foe's BP by 3.

Followup Punch
BP Cost: 3
Effect: This attack deals twice your normal unarmed damage, and decreases your foe's BP by 3.

Counter-Swipe
Effect: This attack deals your normal damage, but can only be used on an attack of opportunity against a foe with less BP than you. If your attack hits, the enemy's attack is interrupted and ends before he deals damage.

Knockout Punch
BP Cost: 7
Effect: This attack deals two times your normal damage, and forces the target to make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2BAB+Strength Modifier) or fall unconscious.

New and Changed Feats:

(Note: Any notation of Combat Martial Arts is only meant for D20Modern. In a D&D game, the requirement would instead be Improved Unarmed Strike. Likewise, since proficiency is easily acquired in D&D, any feat that requires proficiency in a field of weapons here instead requires Weapon Focus in D&D)

Bounce Back
Prerequisites: Defensive Martial Arts (or Combat Expertise in D&D), Tumble 4 ranks
Benefit: Anytime you are struck in combat, you may exhaust an attack of opportunity to roll a tumble check (DC=10+enemy's BAB) to reduce the amount of BP loss by 1 (to a minimum of 1.)

Martial Arts Specialization
Prerequisites: Combat Martial Arts
Benefit: Gain the use of another martial arts move-set. (See above section)

Observant Recovery
By paying better attention to your foe's moves, you can better focus your guard.
Prerequisites: Combat Martial Arts or Proficiency with an Archaic or Exotic Weapon, Spot 4 ranks
Benefit: Roll a spot check (DC15+enemy's BAB) as a move action. If you succeed, you gain back 1 BP.

Reckless Strike

Prerequisites: Combat Martial Arts or Proficiency with an Archaic or Exotic Weapon, Power Attack
Benefit: When a character with this feat uses the Power Attack feat, he can sacrifice any amount of BP instead of attack bonus so long as that amount of BP does not exceed his BAB. A character with this feat only replaces the penalty to attack with a subtraction to BP, and cannot exceed his BAB in extra damage through sacrificing both attack and BP.

Tough it Out
By pushing pain to the farthest reaches of your mind, you can recover your guard.
Prerequisites: Defensive Martial Arts (Combat Expertise in D&D), Concentration 4 ranks
Benefit: By spending an attack action, not as part of a full attack, you may roll a concentration check (DC15+BP loss from last attack) to regain 2 BP.

Toughness
Prerequisites: None
Benefit: Increase your starting BP pool by 1, and gain 1 extra HP for every character level. The latter effect is retroactive.

Weapon Style Specialization
Perquisites: Proficiency with an Archaic or Exotic Weapon
Benefit: Gain the use of another Weapon Style moveset (to be created.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:37:24 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Hand 2 Hand (Working Title), a Plug'n'Play melee engine.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »
This looks like an interesting framework, but I think I missed something about the initial premise.  What exactly to BP do?  It looks like the pool starts at 0 (or higher with feats) and gets reduced depending on what attacks you take, and what attacks hit you.  So, what happens as your BP pool drops lower?

Do hits deal regular damage in addition to BP damage?  It looks like yes, but again, without knowing what happens as your BP drops, I'm a bit confused.

With moves like Jab, what part of the damage is halved?  Is it the base damage?  Does this include bonus Str damage?  Does this include Power Attack damage?  Depending on how this is set up, you might be able to do more damage with a jab than a normal punch.

How does a tackle connect?  How do you determine success?

Again, this looks interesting, but it's either missing something, or I missed something when reading it. ;)
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
+1!  I've been thinking of doing something along these lines myself, but I haven't gotten quite this far into the design process.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »
I like the idea. But if you start with 0 BP, have to spend a full round to gain 2 BP, and attacks you make and attacks against you drain your BP.... when are you ever gonna have BP?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »
All I've noticed at this point is that feats will grant you starting BP, but I don't think anything's been clarified beyond that point.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
Holy crap. I didn't expect to get any replies after the first few days went by with nothing. XD

Okay, this has had a few updates since I posted it. I'll answer the questions that aren't answered in the updates, and then edit the updates in.

Quote from: RobbyPants
This looks like an interesting framework, but I think I missed something about the initial premise.  What exactly to BP do?  It looks like the pool starts at 0 (or higher with feats) and gets reduced depending on what attacks you take, and what attacks hit you.  So, what happens as your BP pool drops lower?
Well, currently, it only means that if someone with a higher BP is next to you when you attack with a move costing 1BP or more, you'll draw an attack of opportunity.
It's less of a point pool, and more like in tennis (after both players are beyond the score of 30) where the score is either deuce, or +ad and -ad. It's just got a bit more depth.

Do hits deal regular damage in addition to BP damage?  It looks like yes, but again, without knowing what happens as your BP drops, I'm a bit confused.
Attacks deal damage only when it is mentioned in their description text, and most often also deal BP damage. Moves like Choke Hold have special effects that take the place of damage. There was some discussion at the D20Modern board about starting combatants off at a BP higher than zero, and then having the crap hit the fan in some way when they drop to or below zero.

With moves like Jab, what part of the damage is halved?  Is it the base damage?  Does this include bonus Str damage?  Does this include Power Attack damage?  Depending on how this is set up, you might be able to do more damage with a jab than a normal punch.
That's a very good question, and one I've wondered about myself. I'm thinking the best idea for half-damage moves is to half the resulting damage, or all factors prior to rolling.
That way, for people who don't care about damage dice, Jab isn't a free 4pts of attack modifier to sacrifice.

How does a tackle connect?  How do you determine success?
Since tackling is a high-cost move, one combatant is going to have his guard considerably smashed by the other before the attack is made (I should probably make Tackle only usable when the BP cost can be paid without dropping below your targer's BP). The attack lands via attack roll (probably not touch attack, for balance's sake), and automatically brings the opponent into a grapple.

Again, this looks interesting, but it's either missing something, or I missed something when reading it. Wink
Thanks for showing interest. I thought this sucker was doomed to sink to the depths of the House Rule board.

Quote from: Soda
I like the idea. But if you start with 0 BP, have to spend a full round to gain 2 BP, and attacks you make and attacks against you drain your BP.... when are you ever gonna have BP?
Like I mentioned above, BP is more like +ad or -ad than an action point pool at this moment. If you guys think that it would be better to start characters out at 10BP+(possibly highest physical stat modifier)+applicable feats, and then have something bad happen when people reach 0BP, that could work too.
One idea I've been kicking around my mental plane was to have martial arts and weapon style feats grant 1BP a piece. It might make melee fighters a bit too good at what they do, though.

Aaand thanks for the replies, everyone.

Now for the edits...
Editing done.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:03:59 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »
One thing to note on Choke Hold:

Your DC scales much faster than DCs of other saves.  By starting at 15 (5 higher than the base of a normal save) and by increasing by BAB (which could often be +1 per level), this save DC will quickly outrun what any opponent could ever hope to achieve.

A good save advances one point per two levels or hit dice.  Also, the average roll on 1d20 is 10.5.  This is why the typical save DC formula is 10 + 1/2 hit dice + ability mod.  That puts it on par with a good save advancement.

So, just as an example using your formula, a level 6 person with full BAB doing a choke hold has a DC of 21 + Str mod.  Now, someone defending who is also level 6 with a good Fort save will have a base Fort of 5 + Con mod.  They will only succeed on a 16 or higher (assuming equal Str and Con scores).  Every two levels, the minimum success number increases by one.  By level 13, the defender will only save on a natural 20, assuming equal Str and Con scores.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
Would you suggest that I change the save to 10+1/2BAB+strength?

Also, does anyone have any suggested movesets for martial arts they have studied/observed? I'd like to capture the feel of different martial arts with move sets of 5-ish. The only martial art I really studied was Taekwondo, and the American sport version no less. I do know enough about the NK version to make a moveset, though.

*grumble* I wish I could have learned the non-sport version... *grumble*

Current PbP Games:

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »
I guess you could use 1/2 BAB.  It's an odd concept, but I think it gets the point across.

I've only ever taken Tae Kwon Do myself too, so I haven't done much with throws, grabs, and the like.  I noticed you didn't include anything for kicking.  Is a "punch" an unarmed strike, or a literal punch?  If it's actually punch, this opens the door to things like kicks, elbows, knees, palm-heel strikes, and more.  How detailed do you want it to be?

A more simple approach would just have different "grades" of unarmed strikes.  So a light or quick strike could be like a jab.  A medium strike could be like a punch or a snap kick.  A heavy strike could be like a harder kick or striking with both hands.  This type of approach might work better in that it keeps things relatively simple, but still allows for all the flavor the player wants to inject in.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
Alright, fixing the DC's now.

I was actually intending to make a difference between punches and kicks... and then I totally forgot to include the latter when making movesets.

I'll consider both of your points while I'm at work today, and hopefully have an answer when I get back. If kicks are going to be separate moves, they'll come at a higher BP cost than hand techniques, but they'll also hurt a lot. (the kick counterpart for "hook", for example, would cost something like 3BP, but deal 1.5 times the overall damage of your normal unarmed strike. Kicks would be more effective in martial arts that specialize in them.)

If I do end up ruling in that direction, I'll have to change boxing to Kick-Boxing. Especially because, while most of the martial arts have grapple, (kick)Boxing really isn't made for much more than strikes, counters and blocks... unless I'm mistaken.

Current PbP Games:

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 05:08:21 PM »
No no no! Boxing and kick-boxing are not the same thing! A boxer is all upper body and footwork, and they go to great lengths to protect their heads. They're also accustomed to a sport where no one hit below the belt. So you'll want to take some of that stuff into account. Kick-boxing is a whole different beast.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
See, this is why I asked for help. :P

Does kick-boxing use similar hand techniques, or is it entirely different? What can I do to make boxing worthwhile in comparison to the other martial arts?

Should stances (real fighting stances, not like ToB stuff) come into play, or is that too in-depth?

Current PbP Games:

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:46 AM »
Does kick-boxing use similar hand techniques, or is it entirely different? What can I do to make boxing worthwhile in comparison to the other martial arts?
I only know a bit, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I think kickboxing (at least western kickboxing) does use boxing style punches along with kicks.  I also know there's Thai boxing (or Muay Thai) which is significantly different.  Among other things, I know they kick with their shins.  Whether this should be represented differently mechanically speaking is up to you, and how complex you want this.

Should stances (real fighting stances, not like ToB stuff) come into play, or is that too in-depth?
I wouldn't go to in depth, but you could do it.  I suppose you could have defensive stances (but this could simply be covered by Combat Expertise), perhaps stances to catch and grab or throw people.  You could adopt a more offensive stance where you sacrifice AC for damage.

I don't know really.  Again, how complicated do you want this to get?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
The gamer in me says make it more detailed. I like gritty, in-depth combat (so long as hit location tables need not be consulted every single time an attack hits). The designer in me says to keep it simple so that other people can enjoy it.

Is it unreasonable to think that I could make a simple base, and then an attachable complicated "expansion" per se?

I've also decided I want to keep punches and kicks separate.

I could also make a compromise and give certain martial arts counter moves that are called stances...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:13:42 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
Is it unreasonable to think that I could make a simple base, and then an attachable complicated "expansion" per se?
No, it's not unreasonable.  I think you could do it fairly easily as long as you keep it in mind right from the start.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »
Also, does anyone have any suggested movesets for martial arts they have studied/observed? I'd like to capture the feel of different martial arts with move sets of 5-ish.
Karate and (generic) Kung Fu would have a very similar moveset, seeing as Karate evolved from Kung Fu.
- Reverse Punch (basic martial arts punch)
- Hammer Fist (big smash with the bottom of the fist)
- Chop (pretty self-explanatory)
- Snap Kick (standard front kick)
- Side Kick (you get the idea

I'll put in more later, but I'm tired and want to gather my thoughts.
The only martial art I really studied was Taekwondo, and the American sport version no less. I do know enough about the NK version to make a moveset, though.

*grumble* I wish I could have learned the non-sport version... *grumble*
Part of me really wants to say that there is no non-sport TKD, but that's just me being a snob.  ;)
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »
RobbyPants - Alright then. I'll start working on that. I think, for the advanced version, every martial art will have at least one stance or similar effect. That may be the only difference.

Karate and (generic) Kung Fu would have a very similar moveset, seeing as Karate evolved from Kung Fu.
- Reverse Punch (basic martial arts punch)
- Hammer Fist (big smash with the bottom of the fist)
- Chop (pretty self-explanatory)
- Snap Kick (standard front kick)
- Side Kick (you get the idea
Okay, so for effects...

Reverse Punch
Effect: Time and a half strength damage? Reduce enemy BP by 2?

Hammer Fist:
BP Cost: 2
Effect: Two times melee damage. Reduce enemy BP by 2?

Chop:
Effect: 1/2 normal damage, double crit-range? (A beefier jab?)

Snap Kick
BP Cost: 4
Effect: Two times damage. Reduce enemy BP by 8?

Side-Kick
Effect: Two times damage. Roll STR+BAB vs foe's STR/DEX+BAB or foe is knocked back 5' and prone?

Part of me really wants to say that there is no non-sport TKD, but that's just me being a snob.  ;)
You might want to research Korea's TKD stuff. I think the USMC actually stole a few moves from it for their own "kill 'em dead" martial art, but then who didn't they steal from to make that?

Anyhow, I think I just made Karate and Kung Fu kinda lame effect-wise. I'm trying to capture the power involved (hence the high damage), though the moves are ending up verymuch the same. Any thoughts on how to differentiate/balance them?

Thanks again!

Current PbP Games: