Author Topic: Doing a Game Review - Advice?  (Read 1102 times)

otherdoc

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • It Was a Photograph From Life!
    • Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
    • Email
Doing a Game Review - Advice?
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:28:37 PM »
Hey, folks.  Sorry I haven't been around in a while but, as always, life is crazy.

Within the next month it looks as though for the first time in quite a while I'll be doing a review of a game (which game has yet to be decided but it will probably end up being a card game, board game or story game).  I've listened to the reviews done on the show, but I was wondering if you folks had any tips about what to do and not to do when setting out to review a product and then writing the review itself?  I'd like to try to do it right, if I can possibly help it.  :rollseyes  Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.  :D

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Doing a Game Review - Advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »
Hey, folks.  Sorry I haven't been around in a while but, as always, life is crazy.

Within the next month it looks as though for the first time in quite a while I'll be doing a review of a game (which game has yet to be decided but it will probably end up being a card game, board game or story game).  I've listened to the reviews done on the show, but I was wondering if you folks had any tips about what to do and not to do when setting out to review a product and then writing the review itself?  I'd like to try to do it right, if I can possibly help it.  :rollseyes  Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.  :D

I do mine very free form and unedited. I do practice what I plan to say in my head. But then I just look at the camera and go! Check out my channel if you wish.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Doing a Game Review - Advice?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »
Above all else be honest about what you did and didn't like about the game. A good, bad, and overall system i think works for this. Mechanic x sucked, but the rest of the game made up for it, and mechanic y got me and the other player laughing so hard our sides hurt. Something as simple as that can work as a guide for you. Have fun hope this helped some.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren