Author Topic: Excellent Pirate Game [3.5]  (Read 3684 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Excellent Pirate Game [3.5]
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »
I'm generating interest right now for an IRL pirate game. Some minor house rules like crossbows are reflavored and buffed slightly to be guns, and everyone can take ranks of Use Rope, Climb, Balance, Profession Sailor, and Swim. Other than that, though, it's really pretty much open ended. I'm kind of hoping that everyone will go into full blown pirate theme and have characters with eye patches and scars and parrots, but I'd be fine if that doesn't happen.

I'm looking for general advice. In your experience, at what level does ship travel become inviable, and which classes should I ban/nerf to make the pirate motif more believeable, if at all? I'm not exactly dealing with genius optimizers here, and in fact I'd be handing out build advice like candy, but I'm just wondering if there's anything that I should look out for that will ruin the pirate mood if a player were to use it. I think that a ship would outweigh the abilities of a teleportation circle because it allows you to take a ton of stuff.

Also, anyone have good pirate adventure hooks? Stormwrack is going to be used extensively and there will obviously be a tavern or two, but is there any other pirate booty in terms of adventure hooks that I'm not looting?

One problem I've encountered is determining who is captain of the pirate ship. Solution: Slightly more powerful but still defeatable captain NPC to govern the PCs. If they want to take over, then they can mutiny/buy him out/I'll have him die, but they would have to agree on a leader beforehand. If nobody can agree on a leader, then I guess that the crew would have to help the captain out in the fight. This seems like a bit of a railroad to me but if the PCs got into fights over who were to be the leader it would stall the game dead. To avoid leading them around, I'd have to send the PCs to find adventure hooks in the port towns they visit, and report to the captain the ones that they like most.

This is starting as a one-shot which may go somewhere. Starting level could be anywhere from 2 to 5. I really really hate level 1, by the way.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Potential Pirate Game [3.5]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:54:46 AM »

Whichever level teleport becomes available ships become unnecessary, but by then they may feel sentimental.

The paladin and the ranger always felt like 'on land' options to me, but they may just be biases that can be reflavoured away. The paladin mount needs to go though. The monk makes mechanical sense but it seems odd having them be piratical what with the lawful alignment and all. You could also salt the NPC's with swashbucklers and rogues who silently chuckle at melee classes that have wasted so much time learning to wear heavy armour.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
Druids, especially with access to Spell Compendium, are house in a campaign that takes place on the open seas.

Flight will ofcourse also be a very strong option to get from one ship to another etc.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
That point about teleportation is good, so I think I should either start far before teleportation or just remove those spells. Half the damn adventure is the open seas, so skipping on that seems a bit weak.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:33 PM »
You don't have to get rid of the spells, but make them less abusable by shortening the distance, so if someone wanted to teleport to an enemy ship to sabotage it they could, but not across the ocean.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »
I don't really consider dimension door a true teleport spell. So that would stay. I just want them to stay on the ship is all. If nobody wanted to stay on the ship, they wouldn't play a pirate game, would they?

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
Is this intended to be a true pirate game, with looting and pillaging and keelhauling, or is it going to slant more towards a buccaneering adventure?  If the players have a writ from the Lords of Waterdeep to keep the Swordcoast clear of pirates (or whatever is appropriate in your world), then you can maintain the heroic feel and include classes that wouldn't be able to participate otherwise due to class restrictions (Monk, Paladin).

That also provides motivation to stay on the ship.  I suppose you could scry out to sea for pirate ships and teleport there to have fun little pirate killing sessions, but that's the epitome of dull.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
My idea is that they decide before hand if they're going to be for the pirates or against them. There's going to be basically a big war between the pirates and the people of land, who obviously hate the pirates. I'm thinking it will end up being strikingly similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean story arcs. The PCs will be doing most of the movement in the story. I haven't decided what solutions will be available to their problems that they choose. I'm thinking some possibilities would be to unite the pirate legions to make a stand against the land dwelling nations trying to eliminate them, or try and summon some help, or perhaps enlist the help of sea-dwellers. If they go the good route, then they'll have to, obviously, defeat the pirates, who may try one or more of these things to stop them. Either way they'll pretty much end up leading an army by the end, probably because they either prove themselves more capable than anyone else or because they obtain some power which helps them control the sea, like some artifact of constant Weather Controlling that gives their side an advantage.

They have a potential to be pretty much any alignment that they want, but I'd like them all to agree, or at least work together, because it might screw up the party dynamic.

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »

They have a potential to be pretty much any alignment that they want, but I'd like them all to agree, or at least work together, because it might screw up the party dynamic.

Yeah, this is definitely one of those games where you NEED to have a sit down with the group and talk about what the game will be about, what the party will be like, and how everyone will approach it.  A group character creation session is a must, especially if you want to have the players take certain roles on the ship (captain, botswain, pegboy, etc.)
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »
I'm currently coordinating the leadership of the party right now (well, not RIGHT NOW) over facebook. Basically, NPCs would be doing most of the drudgework like swabbing, but one guy could be in charge of, like, lookout, or fixing the rigging, or the driver, or the navigator.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

Unless they explicitly say its okay, don't have an NPC in charge of them. Most times PCs resent it and will pcharalan to take out that NPC asap.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »
Yeah, but then also they could potentially get mad at the PC that messes up. I'm thinking maybe have an NPC, but have control of him float around among the players. No PCs get mad at each other, and the players can easily vote to change leadership. Thoughts?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
Well, you could have an NPC 'leader' with the players as his advisors and brains, the decisions are ultimately theirs, the NPC is there to be the tiebreaker when everyone wants something different and wouldn't settle.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »
Yeah that's the idea. They will basically be under his orders, but the person controlling him shifts. The plan is that they will be sent into towns to find adventure hooks. They don't necessarily have to bring back all the ones they find. For instance, they find an item quest and a mysterious island quest, and they decide amongst themselves where they want to go. They decide which hooks to bring back, if multiple, and then the person in charge of the captain decides where they want to go, in the case of 2 or more hooks brought back.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
Wow, looks like this campaign is going to happen! I hope for the best. No builds explicitly planned out yet, but it looks like it is going to go through. I'm implementing bonus skill points for sailing skills so that stupid characters can participate too. Also, certain sailor skills will be class skills always for free. These skills are balance, use rope, climb, swim, profession(sailor), knowledge(geography), profession(siege engineer), and survival are class skills, always, and each character gets 2 bonus skill points to spend on these skills only each level. Now, players can still specialize in a skill, so that one guy doesn't do every ship-related job, but everyone can still use some sailing skills.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »
Cool.  Let us know how it works out!
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »
It looks like it' should be pretty good, we're deciding to start at level 6. No cleric, so far. Looks like party has a confirmed artificer, barbarian, and scout. And yes, the artificer is a good player, not just a clown. I mean, I could defeat him in an arena match, but it'd be pretty hard.

We also may have up to 2 other people joining us, one will almost certainly play some form of guy who has a big sword.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 01:56:15 AM »
Currently making NPCs and adventure hooks for the game on sunday. I'm going to make a few focused on running and gunning, and a few focused on Killing With Swords.

Captain currently looking at a Bard5/Marshal1/Dread Pirate1, 1 level higher than the PCs. They can still kill him, and he probably wouldn't outshine anyone, but he's there to be helpful.

There'll be a cleric gunner archer, maybe like level 5 knowledge devotion cloistered cleric, but I'm not sure what else. Some ideas for NPCs under level 5? I probably don't want to bring something too powerful, because the PCs are stuff like scout and barbarian. I might bring a swordsage as a villain, though.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
Well, swashbucklers really fit the bill here, and they won't outshine anyone.

Although if I were playing in your game, I think I'd play a swashbuckler/rogue daring outlaw, both for fun, and because it seems like you'd be less likely to run into crit-immune baddies.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »
I've so far made the captain, a guy focused mostly on ranged sneak attacks with guns, an Anthropomorphic Huge Shark Psychic warrior 2, and now I'm thinking of making a crewmate with Vow of Poverty, just to shake up the pirate archetype a bit. He'll be in the pirates because he's fighting against the tyranny of the horrible evil empire trying to shut the pirates down, the lesser between an annoyance and a great evil, if you will.

He might work as a daring outlaw, but I'm thinking that he'd need some sort of a mystical feeling, maybe he'll be the ship's Spirit Shaman or a Monk or Paladin or something like that... Maybe a Spirit Shaman/Prestige Ranger or a Cleric/Prestige Paladin.

I know that VoP is gimp, of course, which is why I'm trying to set him up with a strong base class. Gotta give him some gimpage so as to not outshine anyone.

I haven't decided whether the Anthropomorphic shark should be a protagonist or an antagonist yet. I'm torn between whether I want to take advantage of his scary physique and the fear that he could instill in the PCs, or the humor that could be gained by introducing such a scary brute and having him introduce himself with a jovial "G'day, mate."