Author Topic: Dirty Trick Handbook Fixes  (Read 73264 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Dirty Handbook Fixes
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »
51: Psy Reformation + Temporary HD = Doc Roc's Dusk Giant quickstep, or a lame version via inspire greatness
Fix: Add a small "check" to the max skill point determination so that if your temporary HD go away, the old skillpoint max is no re-enforced and feats - whether they have been turned into something else by psychic reformation or not - also disappear (similar to alertness feat via familiar DCFS)

I was under the impression that the quickstep didn't give you more skills or feats than usual, it just let you reassign your existing skill points (and feats) at a higher skill cap due to the increased HD. Unless I'm misreading you, your fix is just to remove the extra skill points given by the temporary HD, right? The problem is that your reassigned skill points are above your cap after it drops again from losing the HD. The fix should address that, such as by forcibly reassigning any skill points above your skill rank cap if your rank cap changes.
I will admit I didn't find that bit of TO aesthetically pleasing and don't have it well memorized. From memory:

1 it does temporarily give skills and feats.
2 by reassigning the skills over the max while the max is artificially high, you have a larger max than you would pre-buffing
3 when the HD go away, there is no "check" to make sure your regular skill point max is enforced
4 This now leaves you with skill points over what your max should be.

edit: nevermind you and I want the same thing, and it was I who was not clear. I have edited my fix and the quote. Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:32:32 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
Re: Dirty Trick Handbook Fixes
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
very useful thread.

any chance for a link back to the original? ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Dirty Handbook Fixes
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
51: Psy Reformation + Temporary HD = Doc Roc's Dusk Giant quickstep, or a lame version via inspire greatness
Fix: Add a small "check" to the max skill point determination so that if your temporary HD go away, the old skillpoint max is no re-enforced and feats - whether they have been turned into something else by psychic reformation or not - also disappear (similar to alertness feat via familiar DCFS)

I was under the impression that the quickstep didn't give you more skills or feats than usual, it just let you reassign your existing skill points (and feats) at a higher skill cap due to the increased HD. Unless I'm misreading you, your fix is just to remove the extra skill points given by the temporary HD, right? The problem is that your reassigned skill points are above your cap after it drops again from losing the HD. The fix should address that, such as by forcibly reassigning any skill points above your skill rank cap if your rank cap changes.
I will admit I didn't find that bit of TO aesthetically pleasing and don't have it well memorized. From memory:

1 it does temporarily give skills and feats.
2 by reassigning the skills over the max while the max is artificially high, you have a larger max than you would pre-buffing
3 when the HD go away, there is no "check" to make sure your regular skill point max is enforced
4 This now leaves you with skill points over what your max should be.

edit: nevermind you and I want the same thing, and it was I who was not clear. I have edited my fix and the quote. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think, technically, this trick doesn't work unless you gain an actual level while you have the extra HD. I think I wind up making an assumption about the rules somewhere in here that is incorrect though, so please help me find it (if it exists).

Psy Ref lets you remake choices made at previous levels. According to the rules, HD are levels. At the time that you would have made your skill point selections for previous levels (the ones that don't go away), you didn't have the temporary HD you have now, and thus you could not have stuck extra ranks into a skill. Since Psy Ref only lets you remake your choices from before, rather than flat our reassigning things now, those reassigned permanent skill points are still subject to the same limits they had before. If you reassign the skill points granted by the temporary HD, you'll lose them anyways when the HD go away. However, if you gain the temporary HD and then gain an actual level, you should be able to assign those skill points as you wish according to your newly inflated HD total/rank cap, and they should stay once the HD go away (since as you said, there's no check for rank maximum enforcement). This way also removes the need for a Psy Ref, too.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2011, 12:31:09 AM »
temporary hd do not grant skill points nor any other benefit of an actual level, unlike actual hd.
Never game alone again!

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2011, 02:51:50 AM »
source?

and I have links to the originals in the first sentence of OP
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
oh, there they are! i missed them in my perusal the first few times. =P thanks.

now i just searched the entire thread of the original and continuation and this thread, but i'm not finding the original post that explains how trick 51: psy ref + temp hd works. before i try to make stick such a blanket statement, i'd better read up on how one is gaining the temp hd in the first place.

and in my defense, i printed the entire thread for all three, and used a text search, not just read over it. =D
Never game alone again!