Author Topic: Modern-Day Monsters Game Thread  (Read 22654 times)

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Modern-Day Monsters Game Thread
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
But my real pride and joy are my teeth and claws.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »
"Yeah, he files them..." Dean sighs as he walks towards David and the base commander.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
Charon follows, bored
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »
David nods.  "Lieutenant Colonel, what in God's name happened here?"
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
"It's been a rough couple of hours, Agents.  At about 2300 last night, the power went out across the whole facility. We're still not quite sure how that happened, since the generators are underground and they haven't been tampered with as far as we can tell. That's when we lost communications, which is why you guys were sent out here, I presume. The power outage also caused some experiment failsafes to stop working, and there was a small explosion down in the lab. When we heard the explosion in the guard building, a lot of us went to check it out.  We discovered that the object this facility is built to study was missing. No one went in and got it as far as we can tell, since the only way down is through an elevator, and the guards at the top and bottom swear it never opened. We came back outside, and things just started exploding.  We've been dealing with the explosions ever since.  We think they were planted to keep us from following whoever took the ETC-1 object, but I don't know how we could have followed them anyway.  The thing just vanished." As Timm catches you up to speed, the four of you follow him into the building and to the elevator.  The guard at the door to the elevator starts to stop you, but when he sees you're with the LC, he lets you by. The elevator ride down is a long one, and when the doors open, more carnage is revealed.

" You're free to look around down here, and you can talk to any of the researchers down here as well.  I'll wait for you upstairs." Bruce Timm steps back into the elevator, and the doors shut.

[spoiler] I'm going to run this bit pretty loose, and you all are free to go where ever you want down here, talk to people, snoop around the experiments, (or not snoop around), search for clues, whatever. I'll update the [urlhttp://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3282.msg117470#msg117470]lab map[/url] to show where people are and what has been destroyed.  Something may or may not happen down here while you are down here.....[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:27:59 PM by Bell »

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »
Charon starts wandering aimlessly, looking for any interesting experiments (or remains of experiments)
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Bell

• The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »
As Charon walks around the experiments, one of the scientists catches his eye.  The scientist is clearly trying to overcome his terror and revulsion at seeing a four-armed giant with fangs, but he seems to want to say something to him.  Eventually the scientist gives up trying to get the courage to talk to him, and goes back to what he was doing.

Most of the experiments seem to be running smoothly again, with the exception of the ones that were destroyed in the explosion.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Charon walks over and growls, You want something?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Bell

• The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
The scientist stammers, "I-...It's just that when you w-w-w-walked in and started p-p-p-poking around our experiments, you turned off one of our m-m-m-mass spectrometers that had been running. I was going to say some-th-th-thing, but it was already done, an you're so big, that I didn't want to b-b-b-bother you."

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2009, 07:54:56 PM »
A mass what? Sorry, I grew up on the roofs of Vegas, can you explain?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Bell

• The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
"R-r-r-really?" the scientist  asks. "I didn't expect someone like you would be interested in this sort of thing.  You seem more like the type to break this sort of thing than want to l-l-learn about it."

Well you see, it works like this," the scientist begins, clearly more comfortable now that he is talking about technical things. "Say you have a sample of something, and you want to know what it is.  You take a piece, and you put it in this machine. Then it burns the sample with a laser, which ionizes the particles.  The light from the burning material emits energy at very specific frequencies, which can be identified by the computer using a vast database of known samples. From there, you can use that information to figure out what the original compound was. Are there any other machines you waould like me to explain to you?

[spoiler] I'm not sure that's entire how a Mass Spectrometer really works, but from my basic knowledge of physics and chemistry, plus my love of CSI, I'm relatively certain that is close to how it works.

also, if Charon keeps asking about machines, I might have to just start making random equipment up that does bizarre fake-science things, since I'm not really sure what might be in a super-secret government research lab.[/spoiler]

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
What if there is no known sample?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Bell

• The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
"What do you mean, like if the results come back and it doesn't correspond to any known elements? Well then that means you've discovered a new on!.  But that is highly unlikely, to the point of statistical impossibility since any element higher on the table of elements would only exist for infinitesimal fractions of a second, and would therefore almost certainly not exist in some compound we could test in a mass spectrometer."  The scientist is clearly over his initial fear of you, and is now looking up at you with a look of quite pride at being able to, in his mind, bring knowledge to a clearly eager pupil.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
But what if such a thing existed? If we were able to get a sample? Could we theoretically create the proper environment for that element and scan it?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2009, 01:16:05 AM »
David wanders around, attempting to analyze the situation and see if he can come up with any theories as to what happened.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2009, 02:59:13 AM »
Dog approaches one of the techs and asks him if he could take a look at the location of the missing ETC-1 object.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
After looking around a little bit Dean joins Dog just as the latter asks one of the scientists about the ETC-1 object.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Bell

• The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
The tech that Dog approaches seems much more at ease around the obvious mutants than most of the scientists, even offering his hand for Dog to shake.

"My name is Doctor Noah Kuttler. I'd love to show you the Etcetera Room.  Truth be told, most of us look for any opportunity to go in there. Just going near the thing is exciting. Let me get Dr. Broodman, since we're still in lockdown, which means only he can open the door. Wait here." Dr. Kuttler walks away, and returns a moment later with a man you recognize from your briefing as Dr. Edward Broodman, head of the research team.

"Hello, gentlemen." Broodman says. He introduces himself, and politely shakes your hands as you tell him your names. Dr. Kuttler here tells me the two of you would like to view the Etcetera Room. Since you're down here and haven't been shot by the guards, I'll presume that Lieutenant Timm has given you permission to investigate down here, which means you must be Special Agents sent with C24. Very well then, follow me."

Dr. Broodman leads you to the door and presses his hand up to a palm scanner on the wall. The opens, sliding into the wall, and Broodman turns to you. "This attack has left me a bit disheveled,"[/b] the doctor says, though by all appearances he is immaculately kept. "And as a result I have things I must attend to.  So if you don't mind, I will leave you in the capable hands of Dr. Kuttler." With that, he turns and walks away down the hallway that was not destroyed by the explosion.

"Wow.  I didn't know Dr. Broodman even knew my name, let alone thought of me as capable. Come on in. All the security measures inside are turned off when Dr. Broodman opens the door, so just follow me.  If you have any questions while we're in here, I'll be more than happy to answer them."  You follow him into the Etcetera Room, as they apparently call it, and he stands in the corner with his arms crossed and a smile on his face. As you begin to look around, you hear him mumble, "Dr. Broodman said I was capable. Cool."

Bell

• The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »
Meanwhile, the conversation between Charon and the scientist continues. "Well, undoubtedly such things could exist. Just like oxygen could spontaneously turn into gold, or you could pour water out of a pitcher and have it spontaneously freeze when it hits the ground. It's just that the chances of that ever happening, while mathematically possible, since it all has to do with the random motion of particles at the atomic level, is a practical impossibility, because there are just too many factors involved for the thing to ever happen in the real world.

"If, however, and this is a major if, we could somehow alter the fundamental constants of the universe, say, change the electromagnetic constant, or the gravitational constant, or the strong or weak nuclear constants, then we could theoretically create conditions where much larger elements could exist.  But like I said, that would involve changing the fundamental constants of the Universe, which all of science is based on and says is impossible. Actually impossible, not just virtually impossible. And at that point, the mass spectrometer probably wouldn't work anyway, since it exists under the current fundamental laws of the Universe. But it is neat to think about, isn't it?"

The scientist grins wistfully, and then turns back to his computer.  "I have to start another test, he says. "But it's a fairly simple one. Would you like to help me? The computer does most of the work, we just need to load the samples into the mass spec."

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »
Sure Charon does whatever the scientist needs him to do.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat