Author Topic: Combination weapons [3.5]  (Read 1337 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Combination weapons [3.5]
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
The Ravenloft Campaign Setting varied between Stone Age and Renaissance throughout its various regions. As part of this it included stats for flintlock pistols as exotic weapons.

It also included a badass weapon called the Parthican rapier - basically a rapier with a pistol built into it. The neat thing was that if you struck someone with the rapier, you could fire the pistol as a free action, and the target didn't get Dex to AC.

Based on that...

Combination weapon
This weapon combines functions of any one melee weapon and any one ranged weapon.

Whenever you successfully strike with the melee component, you may make an attack with the ranged component as a free action. The target may not apply his Dex bonus to AC against this attack. However, such a weapon is difficult to use. A creature without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for the specific combination takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls in addition to any penalties for proficiency with the component weapons.

Due to the complexities involved in their construction, combination weapons are always masterwork quality. To determine the price of a combination weapon, add together the costs for masterwork weapons of both the component weapons, then add the cost for masterwork again.

The component weapons are enchanted separately.

Weapon attachment
By adding +300gp to the cost of a weapon, it can be attached to another weapon of greater size (eg. a light weapon can be attached to a one-handed or two-handed weapon, a one-handed weapon can be attached to a two-handed weapon, and a two-handed weapon cannot be attached to anything else). If attached to a two-handed weapon, you must use two hands to wield the attachment, but do not gain any of the other benefits for wielding a weapon two-handed.

Transforming weapon
Select two or more weapons of the same size (light, one-handed or two-handed) and sharing a damage type (slashing, piercing or bludgeoning). This exotic weapon incorporates the features of all these weapons and can be shifted between them (this is equivalent to drawing a weapon). A creature without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for the specific transforming weapon takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls in addition to any penalties for proficiency with the individual modes.

Due to the complexities involved in their construction, transforming weapons are always masterwork quality. To determine the price of a combination weapon, add together the costs for masterwork versions of all its modes, then add the cost for masterwork again.

All of a transforming weapon's modes share enchantments, but the cost of enchanting such a weapon increases by 10% for every mode after the first. At the DM's option, enchantments which cannot be applied to some of the weapon's modes can be substituted for similar enchantments.

Thoughts? I'm iffy on the balance combining weapons with non-reloading weapons, as Parthican rapiers had to be reloaded before you got that cool benefit again, which was impractical in melee. Maybe you need a free hand to use a longsword/longbow, and combining a non-crossbow with a two-handed weapon is impossible?

Has anyone else done work on stuff like this?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:26:56 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Combination weapons [3.5]
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »
Given that you have to blow a feat on EWP, it shouldn't be that unbalanced.  Really, all that matters is how much damage the pistol does, and how long it takes to reload.  I'd assume that a non-magical pistol would take long enough to load, that if you're using it built into a melee weapon, you're only going to do this once per encounter.

Of course, this could work out for some nice extra sneak attack damage for a rogue.  Do you think you should only allow SA damage on the first attack when using this combo?

_____

I haven't personally done anything like this, but 2E Combat & Tactics has a few similar weapons in it.  They didn't have a mechanic for using both features at once though...
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]