Author Topic: Nonassociated classes and DM douchebaggery?  (Read 2255 times)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Nonassociated classes and DM douchebaggery?
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:35 AM »
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Nonassociated classes and DM douchebaggery?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:35:34 AM »
I previously pointed out the idea of a tarrasque with 48 levels of wizard versus a human with 48 levels of wizard. Think about it.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:31 AM »
I'm thinking about it, but I don't see the connection.  I'm talking about this one particular instance, not every possible combination of nonassociated class levels and such.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »
Just guestimate it?

It really depends on many things. If you have a certain concept which will work with that combination of classes, AND you give it WBL of at least a 10th level player, then of course you're at CR10+.
If you give it Elite Array or a point-buy you're probably at CR12 or more.

If it ends up with a lot of useless abilities (For instance Int-based casting with 10Int) and doesn't get WBL, then probably you can easily ignore the Beguiler levels mostly, because all the PCs need to do is hit it a little more. So halving and rounding down the levels for the CR calculation seems fine. So unless Assassin levels DO fit the concept, you could also cut those in half, I guess, or use a two-thirds progression, perhaps.

My suggestion:

Non-concept, actually unassociated, even above HD=Class levels: Everything halved, CR 9
Conceptually sound but levels don't match up well with the critter: CR10
Conceptually sound and stringent, but no WBL and no good array: CR11+ (Like Beguiler 10 with at least 15-16Int with items)
Everything fitting into place and WBL for class levels: CR14 or even higher
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:29:32 PM by Brainpiercing »

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »
Well, all classed NPCs that I make get the elite array, so the int would be 15+.  I would give the NPC the gear of an NPC of whatever CR I pick.

I might just trim off the extraneous hit dice and just give it the class abilities without the extra hit dice, skill points, and saves.  (Might just give it 10 or so hit dice with the abilities of a 5th level assassin and a 5th level beguiler, I've been known to do that since most of the interesting things I try to to end up being too bloated in hit dice and CR.)

The idea is that really, this isn't a leveled up troll, this is a unique troll species in my world.  I'm changing things around for a high level campaign, and my vision of the "forest troll" is a tricky bastid.  He's sneaky and has some decent magical ability that focuses more on being a tricky bastid than blowing shit up.

Edit:  Oh, and "just guesstimate it" is not helpful.  You can assume that since I bothered to ask, that I am not good at guesstimating CR at all.  Otherwise, I would have done that without asking for advice. 

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
Compare the resultant saves, DCs(highest and average), AC, damage and mobility with critters of the desired CR, takes a while, but probably gives a fairly good guess of the actual CR.
I personally gestalt the classes with the some of the monster HD until it makes a bit more sense. You tend to get more powers and less supersaves, excessive HD with that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 02:56:29 AM »
Compare the resultant saves, DCs(highest and average), AC, damage and mobility with critters of the desired CR, takes a while, but probably gives a fairly good guess of the actual CR.
I personally gestalt the classes with the some of the monster HD until it makes a bit more sense. You tend to get more powers and less supersaves, excessive HD with that.
+1. I'm a big of this method. Grab 3-4 CR 9s and 11s (preferable from different books) and see how it stands up in saves, HP, attach bonus, etc. Then you can adjust as appropriate. I've found it's a little extra work, but will avoid accidental TPKs from DM error.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie