Author Topic: Some help avoiding the bumps in the road  (Read 2150 times)

droppedbutnotbroken

• Monkey bussiness
Some help avoiding the bumps in the road
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
I posted something like this originally in the Ask a Simple question thread and got a response, but I was hoping for more...

I'm starting a new world/campaign as the DM with a new, but hopefully cool, group. I'd like to give the game every chance for success that I can. Could you recommend resources (e.g. links, magazine articles, etc.) that address good "house rules" in light of broken, unbalanced, ill-advised, irksome, or simply "unfun" aspects of the game . . . or perhaps resources that identify broken, unbalanced, ill-advised, irksome, or simply "unfun" aspects of the game so I can make good "house rules"? I do know that the house rules will often have to be responsive to the players, but I am looking for some guidance on the areas that are likely to creat problems. For instance, shapechange and gate are spells that can cause problems; planar shepherd is a class that is too unbalanced; etc. I imagine that there have been posts discussing the set of troublesome rules/aspects that would help me prepare. I'd appreciate any number of suggestions.

8) 8) 8)
Capt. Bart Mancuso: My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on playmate of the month.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Some help avoiding the bumps in the road
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »
What game are you playing?
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:52:05 AM »
Based on context it looks like D&D 3.X

droppedbutnotbroken

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Pardon me.  Dnd 3.X is what I'm referring to.
Capt. Bart Mancuso: My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on playmate of the month.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »
What are character creation rules right now? No use fixing a broken 20th level problem if they''re only reaching 8
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

droppedbutnotbroken

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
This is meant to be a campaign starting at level 1 and going through at least level 20. 
 :eh :eh :eh

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »
But you have time till 20th, so focus on the current, and next 3 levels or so for your patches. Unless you are intent on rewriting the game entirely, theres quite lot to take on at one shot.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:57:09 AM »
This is meant to be a campaign starting at level 1 and going through at least level 20. 
 :eh :eh :eh

My first bit of advise, don't do that.  The biggest thing you will get out of the first 10 or so games you run is how to make the next better.

My second is, start with the core books.  Make characters, play, discuss and then start pulling in stuff.  Play between one and three games and then try something new. 

Don't try to make a 20 level epic, particularly your first time out.

Relax and play the game.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009