Author Topic: A druid and his baboon...  (Read 3638 times)

HaHuh?

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
A druid and his baboon...
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »
Hi guys.

I'm making a druid for the game my DM is running at the moment. He has allowed me to pick a baboon as my animal companion as well. Just for the fun of it I guess.

Anyway there were a few questions I have about this.

1. Is there anything I haven't noticed that makes a baboon unsuitable for an animal companion?
2. Can (as a tool-user) a baboon weild a weapon?
3. Did my second question just answer my first?

Um.. maybe more questions as I think of them.

Thanks in advance!

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: A druid and his baboon...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Any creature that gains hit dice can be given feats, so if you spend the feat, your baboon can indeed use weapons. It's probably nowhere near the game-destroying potential of a fleshraker/megaraptor, though.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »
It's not that baboon's are bad, it's just that there are better choices at lower levels, which is where I'm assuming you are. Take a look at the wolf or riding dog and compare it to the baboon.

What I find unsuitable about the baboon is it's health. With 5 hp it won't last long in combat of any type. The climb speed is nice for utility, but then again is more situational than what the other two supply you with.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
Be a Halfling and let your baboon carry you through the trees!  Ranged Druid, anyone?  Huh?  Any takers?  No?  Well, I don't blame you...

Tarzan

Halfling Druid 20
1 Mounted Combat
3 Ride-by-Attack
6 Natural Spell
9 Mounted Archery (yes!)
12 suck
15 a
18 bag

HaHuh?

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:45:17 PM »
Yay, two three quick replys. Thanks guys for confirming what I pretty much figured.

The rest of the party is less then optimised so this gives me a chance to play some more fun characters.

The druid will probably enter at 9th level (maybe should have mensioned that) giving the baboon 7(?) hit dice so HP arn't that bad. Ok it is fairly terrible...

Anyway, because the party has no front liners, I was planning on (being a druid and all that  :D) casting animal growth and spikes on the baboon and his weapon suplimenting him with summons and wild shape.

Does anyone have ideas feats or spell-wise for the druid or the baboon (given that spell focus(conj.), augment summoning and natural spell are givens)?

Books available are: Core, SpC, PHBII, CW, CA, CM, RotW, HoB, UA and BoED.

Also thanks for the idea jameswilliamogle althogh perhaps not fo this game. Most of the world consists of salt plains, well at least the continent we are on at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:38:17 PM by HaHuh? »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Dire Ape? Those are pretty good. Nowhere near the pwn of a dire eagle, but good.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 12:08:15 AM »
The feat Aerenal Beastmaster lets you add +3 to your effective druid level to determine the stats of your baboon animal companion. The main thing though is that it doesn't have the same limitation as natural bond, letting you go above your actual druid level.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

HaHuh?

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 01:06:50 AM »
Dire Ape? Those are pretty good. Nowhere near the pwn of a dire eagle, but good.
That dire ape does look good, however it does give up on the 'cuteness' factor (for lack of a better term). Also because this game is more RPing then encounters, I'm guessing people are going to feel less threatened by a baboon with a stick then an ape with a tree trunk.

The feat Aerenal Beastmaster lets you add +3 to your effective druid level to determine the stats of your baboon animal companion. The main thing though is that it doesn't have the same limitation as natural bond, letting you go above your actual druid level.
That would be an excelent feat however unfortunately I do not own Races of Ebberon.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
That dire ape does look good, however it does give up on the 'cuteness' factor (for lack of a better term). Also because this game is more RPing then encounters, I'm guessing people are going to feel less threatened by a baboon with a stick then an ape with a tree trunk.

That would be an excelent feat however unfortunately I do not own Races of Ebberon.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Cuteness?
Have you ever seen an actual pissed of baboon??? o.0
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »
Because of its terrible health, I'd give it a composite longbow and arrows, giving it the feat for proficiency. But that's me.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
coDzilla w/ baboon?

back on topic..

as the druid, you could be the baboon (ws) and have a druid cohort...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:31:25 PM by altpersona »
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Wow Surreal, you rock my world.... If only there were some way to make that baboon count as a true dragon (so its able to advance in size from extra HD) then your feat would rock my "Way-More-Than-Super-Mount" build even higher. Not that I have seen anyone else break my record of 53 Colossal+ mount record (no fleshraker debates desired)... but 55HD Colossal+ just sounds cooler   :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:00:31 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r