Author Topic: Any love for the Warden?  (Read 2220 times)

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Any love for the Warden?
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
Hey all,

The Warden has been released on the Wizards site [subscription only], but I haven't seen any love on the boards for it yet....

I really like the Free action mark in burst 1 feature. definitely gives the tanking power a defender is supposed to have.

The Con to AC is also awesome: Hide armor + heavy shield + 18 con is the same AC as a fighter! [namely 19]. This is easily realisable with a Dwarf, Gnoll, Minotaur, Warforged, etc.

With more Healing surges, HP and HP per level than a fighter, what is not to love?

So where is the love?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:19:53 PM by Ieniemienie »
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Any love for the Warden?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
I'm actually a little worried that they've overdone it.  According to the blurb, it can take a minor in controller or striker, in which case it might turn out to be outright better than, say, the fighter.  And the fighter is probably the strongest class thus far.

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
It's pretty nice, but no way to mark a target at range sucks hard. Your best bet is to hope you have a Bard in the party to mark guys at range for you.

Also, Font of Life is fucking win.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:25:43 PM »
It seem to me that the Warden will probably be the hardest SOB to kill.

It got some pretty nice AW powers, I kinda like pulling as a Defender, especially if you can slide and slow the target easily after that.

Eepop

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »
From what little we have,  it looks like a fine class.  Doesn't look particularly over or underpowered at the moment.  It has its strengths and its weaknesses.

Being tough as a defender is a double edged sword.  Every smidgen of resilience that you have reduces your viability as a target.  When you're adjacent to a target, its not such a big deal.  But you greatly decrease the chance that they will all rush to surround you.

Which compounds not having a ranged mark.

I think that in situations where it can place itself firmly in the thick of things, it will do very well.  But its going to suffer from having targets peeling off to attack other party members a lot it seems like.

anomalousman

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
Well, if it can really minor in striker, then the toughness and the threat level will work very well together.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
I think that in situations where it can place itself firmly in the thick of things, it will do very well.  But its going to suffer from having targets peeling off to attack other party members a lot it seems like.

Mmm, agreed. Still, the Warden does have the advantage of using light armour, it's going to be a bit more mobile (Especially with some of it's polymorph forms), and the Warden's defenses are not too high, a monster can still hit him, the Warden's just good at taking the hit.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
Yea that is what I tought, Warden defenses aren't going to be really great. If you go STR/CON you will have a craptastic Reflex and Will with a slightly better than average AC (Light Armor+Heavy Shield). Couple that with Mark and a minor in striker, you can be an interesting target for the mobs.