Author Topic: Designing your own Custom Class in 3.5e DnD  (Read 19514 times)

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
Designing your own Custom Class in 3.5e DnD
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
Designing your own Custom Class in 3.5e DnD
"Creating can be an art. Creating can be a job. Creating can be a way of life. Regardless of what creating can be, it shall always be a way to live our fantasies."

Warning: Creating your own custom classes may not be for everyone. Consult your DM before using custom classes. Side effects may include headache, stomachache, backache, neck ache, chronic mental masturbation, acting stupid, and general douche-baggery. If used correctly, Custom Classes should increase your awesome rating from 0 to 200 in six seconds, provided your bathroom scale doesn't reach there first.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:07:20 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
Re: Designing your own Custom Class in 3.5e DnD
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
Chapter 1: Introduction

So, you want to make a class? Good for you! Too bad it will stink to the high heavens and the nine hells with either the overpowering scent of brokenness or the stings-the-nostrils corpse-rotting badness that is underpowered. Don't even get me started on bad fluff! Don't worry, though, because I, the only and only Dumb-Age Master, am here to help!

"How?" I hear you plea.

Simple! By telling you exactly what to do! By the way, how many Es are in sheep?

But wait, you want to be a shark? Yeah, I guess that is cooler. Now if it was bear vs shark...then we might have a battle!

So rather than spell e v e r y s i n g l e t h i n g t o y o u, I will instead give you some pointers and general guidelines with an -optional- mathematical approach to class-creating. I actually like the mathematical approach myself, as I get so angry when a guide that is supposed to be complete instead just says something vague and has you figure things out on your own. By golly, if I was any good at figuring things out on my own, I wouldn't be reading a guide, now would I?! *smashes head into wall*

*rubs head* Ugh, I forgot about the fact that class creating may lead to headaches. At least walls don't have fists to punch you with. But they could! Oh yes, they could! You could have your own personal wall army, growing all sorts of limbs to take over the world! Certainly this is very hard, if not impossible, in DnD, though! Whatever shall I do?!

I know! I'll create my own custom class! I'll call it the Wall-Shape Master! Or something with a better name. I dunno. Jeez, if I can't even create an awesome name for my class, how will I ever make the rest of it?! OH NO!

Oh, wait! I wrote a guide. Dur, you are so stupid, Dumb-Age Master. Then again, I -do- suppose it's in your name. What ever shall I do with you?

*Jots down notes for a wall controlling class*

Anyway, as I was so...
  s...
  l...
  o...
  w...
  l...
  y...
  leading up to, creating your own class is no small feat! Rather, it's a collection of abilities, fluff, and feats every 3rd level, or even more if you are inclined to create a class with bonus feats! Also, if you can't take the jokes, don't be reading this guide. This guide is one big joke, ya sheep!

I'm kidding, of course. Or am I? You'll never know unless you read farther, wasting your time if it is a joke. At least you'll get a laugh out of it! That is if you're not some sort of anti-joker. (Batman, is that you? No, wait, Batman's not a shark...)

Where would be the best place to start with learning how to make your own class, though? I suppose the basics would be the best place, no? Repeat after me: A...B...C...D...E...etc etc etc.

But no, we must bewhy soserious. And stop talking about Batman. Unless you want to make a class out of Batman. We'll cover that later, though.

The best place to start with designing classes? Learn what not to do. If you learn only one thing from this guide, it should be how to spot a bad custom class when you see one. Granted, you most likely have this ability to some extent, but we must expand this! You must be able to spot the finer mistakes of classes! So long as you know the problem, it matters not if you can fix it, for you can always use trial and error. Of course, this doesn't mean just read the second chapter and then close out of the guide, shaking your head and wondering why the hell this guy seems to love bad jokes so much. You see, my dear Watson, Watsoness to the ladies, and Wantsmoreforless for the min-maxers, knowledge of how to fix flaws are still very important, as it means you are less likely to make a mistake in doing so, or even worse, fix it perfectly after wasting 6 months of your life! As we all know, in our busy world of DnD, we have no time to waste!

So, without further jokes, or at least in this chapter, I present to you Chapter 2: How NOT To Make a Class
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:29:30 AM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
Chapter 2: How NOT to make a class
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:58:17 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Chapter 3: Some Handy Tips (And Tipsy Hands)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:00:20 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
Chapter 4: The Numbers
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:02:00 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »
Chapter 5: PrCs
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:02:46 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »
Chapter 6: Other/Notes
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:03:22 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
Chapter 7: Example Classes
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:04:16 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
Chapter 8: References, Thank Yous, and Outroduction
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:04:42 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »
Extra Reserved SpellslotSpot. (Just in case.)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 03:55:03 AM »
Interesting idea for a guide ...
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:40:04 AM »
I'm intrigued...

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 02:44:16 AM »
Players are impatient creatures.  They'll typically swap classes at the first sign of class weakness unless your class offers something excellent soon.  The nature of D&D optimization, at least in 3.5, is that the typical campaign will die within 3 levels of its start, or it won't go beyond level 6.  Players want power now because they may never reach next level.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 03:08:31 AM »
For some reason today I felt like remaking the Fighter class; got a couple ideas brewing. Maybe if I get bored tomorrow (ie: procrastinate from work) I'll see what I can come up with.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »
Players are impatient creatures.  They'll typically swap classes at the first sign of class weakness unless your class offers something excellent soon.  The nature of D&D optimization, at least in 3.5, is that the typical campaign will die within 3 levels of its start, or it won't go beyond level 6.  Players want power now because they may never reach next level.

All good things in time.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 03:03:17 AM »
You may not get time.  Once I learned the importance of planning a character to level 20, I chose abilities that bloomed late, typically level 15 onward, when I was lucky to level even once.  (Games I was in had a tendency to end within 6 sessions.)
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
I fail to see what this has to do with my guide.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
They're suggesting frontloading classes with goodies, which does impact how you build classes.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Dumb-Age Master

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »
There needs to be a certain balance. Don't worry, I'll get to it eventually in my guide. When I'm not so busy. Busy busy busy.