Author Topic: Moving to Chicago -- Need Work Badly  (Read 3429 times)

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
Moving to Chicago -- Need Work Badly
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
My girlfriend of a year and I recently split up and simultaneously a friend of mine offered for me to come live with him in Illinois, area code 60660. I'm figuring what the heck, sure. But one stipulation is that I need to have either several interviews or a job for sure before I get up there. Just so I don't end up in Chicago with no job scrambling to find one like thousands of other Chicago residents. Is there anyone here that has any advice? I have been through a thousand or so adds on craigslist. I'm now trying BBEcorporation websites, like wal-mart, target, kroger, etc and filling in the area code and then applying. If anyone knows of a good place to work or has any advice, please speak up.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Moving to Chicago -- Need Work Badly
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:30:18 AM »
 re: breakup :bigeye

What do you do?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:33:11 AM »
It's not nearly devastating enough to warrant that smiley. Everyone's ok.

The fact that he's moving away from me is, though. :bigeye

:smirk

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
i was watching manswers last night, they say pimping can bring in 800k a year with a typical six person work force...

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
i was watching manswers last night, they say pimping can bring in 800k a year with a typical six person work force...

Yeah, but it ain't easy.   :P
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
Well I'm 20, am pretty creative, got loads of academic awards in highschool for standardized testing, a Distinguished writing portfolio (1 of 3 in my graduating class of several hundred), was 'king' of the shelby county ky branch of the NAACP in 2003, have retail experience aswell as warehouse experience at Target, Walgreen's, and LOWES, and am desperate enough to be pimped.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »
college?

without it, your looking at either working for the man, and thats no fun or starting your own business..

Anim-manga sux.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Just show up at a tavern or bar with your weapon, armor, and other adventuring gear. You'll evenutally run into other like-minded adventurers and get phat lewt adventuring.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:40 PM »
I'm not going to go to college yet but I will be there sometime. I'm only 20.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »
Well I'm 20, am pretty creative, got loads of academic awards in highschool for standardized testing, a Distinguished writing portfolio (1 of 3 in my graduating class of several hundred), was 'king' of the shelby county ky branch of the NAACP in 2003, have retail experience aswell as warehouse experience at Target, Walgreen's, and LOWES, and am desperate enough to be pimped.
Bolding is mine. That's your connection. That's your ticket. Get a recommendation letter from someone you know.

My sister works at UIC - the weird U of Illinois + Chicago mash-up. They're getting a mid-budget money reduction.
So academics is kinda rough right now. So are newspapers.
otoh - You know who, just got bumped upstairs in the political world, and the Illy Gov is gonna be toast, and a bunch of Chicago Pols are moving to Washington. Anybody who can write a legitimate sentence of prose, has a leg up on almost everybody. And you have an naacp connection, hint.
Last idea, Walgreen's (similars) always have a shortage of pharmacy trained people. You aren't trained, but you know the biz sort-of.

Good luck, if you can make it in Chi-town, you can make it anywhere ... It's up to you Wood row, Wo-od Row , duh-du-di-duh.

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:55:30 AM »
'King' of the Shelby County NAACP?

When you were 15 years old?
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 02:00:22 AM »
'King' of the Shelby County NAACP?

When you were 15 years old?
I also thought he was joking, but it's true.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 02:42:49 AM »
when i was 15 years old i got kicked out of my house and moved in with my best friend and his family -- they are black -- one day while i was living there, a NAACP meeting was held at their house and they dragged me into this thing that i thought was going to be like a pageant. it turned out to be some kind of contest thing and they asked a bunch of questions and i spoke into a microphone to a huge crowd almost entirely african american at some church and answered several questions and strutted around in a suit. when they were announcing the winner probably 6-8 black women ran out to take a picture of their son smiling and walking up to receive their crown, but when i walked up smiling, so many people just looked really pissed off. it seriously caused a bit of an outrage. turned out i was the face of the NAACP for that year and was in the news paper, parades, and had to attend several meetings.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:45:13 AM by wO-_-OdrOw »
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »
got links?

Anim-manga sux.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
that's a broad question  :P
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »
I'd like to hear the "kicked out of house" story :P
It's too extreme for my standards.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 02:39:26 PM »
no no no a broad question is more like,

where is my beer wench?

Anim-manga sux.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »
My parents have been divorced since I was 2 and I had been living with my father for 2 years because my mother didn't have the means to take care of herself, much less me (meth addictions will do that...).  He didn't seem thrilled to have me around, but he accepted the responsibility. I was 15 years old and was on summer break from my freshman year in highschool. I supposedly went to spend the summer with my mom but instead, and with her approval, went to stay with some friends who were all seniors and had even older friends and we would go out drinking and partying most every night.

One night at a party in downtown Louisville I discovered beer bonging. I think the stuff tastes like piss but someone pushed me to try it so I went for it. After a few beers I decided to put tastier things like rum and whiskey in the bong. I don't personally remember anything else from the night except for the actual drinking itself but from a visitor in the hospital (one of my friends that was there) I was told this:

Some guys thew on boxing gloves and went at it in the front yard. Most everyone went out to watch and it went on for awhile until a neighbor called the cops. Cops show up with paramedics (seems weird, but maybe it was because they were boxing) and I take off running, being clearly underage and not wanting to get into trouble. The area that we were in, Old Louisville, has a lot of elevated lawns, like 2-3 feet up from the sidewalk and street. I apparently ran near the edge of one and stumbled or fell down off the lawn and crushed the side of my head in on a curb. By crushed I mean my the right side of my skull was in pieces and there was a ton of pressure on my brain aswell as fluid. The paramedics pulled me out of my pool of blood and threw me in an ambulance.

Surgeries were performed and I woke up in the hospital that same night and turned over and started vomiting into a pale that a nurse was holding. I remember her asking for another pale as I filled hers with liquid. Two pales of vomit..

I spent a week or so in the hospital with a catheter in for most of it. Every four hours a nurse would come in, shine a light in my eye, and give me Tylenol and every three hours a nurse would come in, grab my penis, and rotate my catheter so it didn't stick to the inner lining when they pulled it out. Tylenol was the only medication I could have because anything that would effectively relieve the pain would also mask the symptoms of a head injury. Anyone who came to visit me would come in the room, take one look, and then walk out of the room crying. Supposedly I wouldn't see out of my right eye ever again, or if I did, it wouldn't be the same.

I had 37 staples across the right side (and only shaved side) of my head and have titanium mesh holding pieces of my skull in place. When a doctor took the staples out, he used a tool that reminded me of that thing that dentists poke your teeth with; it looks like a miniature scythe, kind of. He would stick it under the staple, into my skin and dried blood, then jerk out the staple were hard to get out because of all the caked blood and healing. For a few years I could feel the piece of my skull move around a little bit when I moved my jaw. Move your jaw and you can feel your temples move -- it was around and a little above that area that I smashed.

After a week in the hospital, memory drills everyday, my eye's swelling going down and me miraculously regaining sight, the catheter coming out, hours of banjo kazooie, and many hours on a bike that has fans for wheels, I left the hospital. Oh yeah, and my father was there some of the time, a few hours a day at least. It was kind of hard to gauge his reaction, but he seemed disquieted, not especially thankful that I was alive, but like maybe he was angry.

About a week after I was out of the hospital my dad said to me "Son, get your shit and get the fuck out of here." I guess that he was angry about the bill. I think it was only like 9k because I had good insurance and he could afford it, but still, 9k is 9k. I just always think of it as a freakish accident that happened while I was out being a kid, but I dunno how he feels, I haven't really talked about it with him since. I was very far from a bad kid, I just went out having a good time one summer and that happened. Anyway, I have very little family so I called my best friend and his dad told me to come live there and I did.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »
awesome

Anim-manga sux.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:28 AM »
Dude, that's kind of cold what your father said.  And I thought my dad was an ass.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie