Author Topic: The Ultra-shifter  (Read 8391 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: The Ultra-shifter
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:39 AM »
Also, you can do it with a loss of 'only' 3 caster levels.

Changeling Wizard 5/X+4 (as long as it grants +2 BAB)/(Cloistered) Cleric 1 (for prerequisites)/ Prestige Paladin 2

That's 2 levels later than the original build stub, but at least it will give you 9th level spells in the end...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
Also, you can do it with a loss of 'only' 3 caster levels.

Changeling Wizard 5/X+4 (as long as it grants +2 BAB)/(Cloistered) Cleric 1 (for prerequisites)/ Prestige Paladin 2

That's 2 levels later than the original build stub, but at least it will give you 9th level spells in the end...

Hmm...that's less of a shot in the face. Though I must still play the role of a skeptic for this. Sample optimal familiar forms or this optimization never happened. ;)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 12:37:50 AM »
I'm a little concerned about the "normally have as a familiar" phraseology.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
The Mad Linguist totally ninja'd, but I'll explain in depth.

Unfortunately I think SkyDragonKnight was on the right track.

I went ahead and 'fixed' this since you added it to the dirty trick handbook, but I'm having doubts. I was thinking... 'there is no way the language of the ability didn't something along the lines of my "fix."' It appears I was right:
Quote from: Races of Eberron
the familiar can change its form to that of any creature that the wizard could normally have as a familiar.
This "normal" seems very important. It seems to me that only animals that have a familiar entry could be considered normal to have a familiar. This is close but not quite. Im really not that much of a stickler (honestly) so long as the RAI supports your interpretations... but in this case it doesn't.

I'm sorry I don't think this works (perhaps you can salvage it by digging up all the improved familiar forms and finding a way to make them considered 'normal familiars' without requiring the improved familiar feat a bunch of times)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »

You only take Improved Familiar once and make choices. And I think, think mind you, that the wording is vague enough that if you have a feat or feats that will modify your familar you can 'normally' take them.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
Really, you can only take it once? I realize that other than this build I know of absolutely no reason to take any of the others (besides a temporary cool familiar until you retrain out the feat)... but you can't at all? Not even the option?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Really, you can only take it once? I realize that other than this build I know of absolutely no reason to take any of the others (besides a temporary cool familiar until you retrain out the feat)... but you can't at all? Not even the option?

You take it once and make a choice of familiar you qualify for (ergo thye normal I believe). If you dismiss or the familiar dies you can make another choice. Lets say you go from Winter Wolf, dismiss it, and then choose an imp.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."