Author Topic: The "Coolest Stuff You've Done In-game" thread.  (Read 15631 times)

mbtheory

• Noob
Re: The "Coolest Stuff You've Done In-game" thread.
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »
Playing in a modern-day supers game with nougaty Stormwatch flavoring.  I'm running an ill-favored ex-police detective.  We found out that there are people in the world who have a resonant connection with their home countries, and that things that affect these people have a correlating effect on their nations.  We dub these people "National Heroes" for bookkeeping purposes.  Several game sessions later, it becomes necessary to find the National Heroes of Ireland.  They're living in a dirt house with grass growing in the roof, no electricity, no running water.  I set them up with a trust fund.  Several months later, Ireland became an international economic superpower.

Late Victorian-era League of Extraordinary Gentleman style game.  Our intrepid party is still in its formative stages.  The GM is sending us help that will arrive on, and I quote, "a boat that's supposed to arrive today."  We head to the harbor, and find a loud altercation in progress.  Turns out it's between the captain of a particular ship and one of his passengers, and it's over a lizard that the passenger brought on board at the original port of call.  After a few minutes of listening, we find out that the captain is terrified of the lizard and wants more money for having brought the two of them across the sea; apparently he didn't notice the lizard until our passenger--who is definitely the help we're looking for--disembarked.  My character steps forward and gives a congenial, "Well, captain, we'll just take this unseemly gent off your hands for you, and you'll never have to worry about him again."  The captain immediately gets vociferous, starts demanding compensation.  Without changing gears, I reply, "Very well; we'll just leave him and his lizard with you, then."  Captain suddenly didn't have any objections to us taking him without further payment.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »
Playing in a modern-day supers game with nougaty Stormwatch flavoring.  I'm running an ill-favored ex-police detective.  We found out that there are people in the world who have a resonant connection with their home countries, and that things that affect these people have a correlating effect on their nations.
So, what, like Axis Powers Hetalia? :p
(Also, yay Ireland!)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:59:03 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »
Managing to rescue the entire party from what would otherwise have been probable death and/or rape.

You see, the barbarian pulled a Leeroy Jenkins and charged into a mine filled with 80 hostile dwarven creatures. I avoided eventual capture by wild shaping into a mole, then following the (disguised) bard and the dwarves who had taken our companions into a room where they were to be tortured. Presumably.

After the bard had botched an attempt to salvage things, and botched it to the point where he was in combat, I decided that chewing through the ropes was going to take too long, and that my companions were unconscious anyway.

So I turned into a bear.

After scaring the one remaining dwarf out of the room, I proceeded to heal my friends, then block the doorway by virtue of the fact that a) I have three natural attacks, the bard has one and isn't proficient with the weapon he grabbed and b) I'm a fucking bear.

I manage to stall them until the dwarven hierarch arrives and tells us that we may leave without incident if we never set foot in the mines again.

TPK? Averted, thanks to wild shape. (If the DM hadn't been a bit of a jerk in declaring that I couldn't cast Call Lightning underground, despite the spell specifically allowing me to do so, I'd probably have wound up killing all the dwarves before the capture in the first place.)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »
TPK? Averted, thanks to wild shape. (If the DM hadn't been a bit of a jerk in declaring that I couldn't cast Call Lightning underground, despite the spell specifically allowing me to do so, I'd probably have wound up killing all the dwarves before the capture in the first place.)
I remember when I had avoided TPK by taking the shinys and and jumping off a cliff...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

dark_hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »
The group was 3rd lvl of a bard(me), druid, fighter, and a cleric.  I was the only male character.

We were adventuring up in the tundra -10 dergees when we come across a river 20ft. across.  For some reason, I forget why, we have to cross it.  The others start to strip and put their clothes in a bag of holding to try to fight off frostbite.  I wait to get a free peep show ;) and then out of the blue remember that I have a swan boat token :D.  I ride to the other side and they're too cold to do anything but warm up and think of revenge.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
I was in a KotOR era SWSE game, playing a jedi with a focus on deflecting/redirecting blaster bolts.  Myself and our sneaky force-sensitive Jawa have just begun an encounter with a Sith Lord type guy, inside a small building.  The Jawa managed to shoot our Sithy friend (without his even attempting to deflect/redirect) which gave me an idea.  The rest of our party was outside in our Cool Ship to provide close air support (a tactic which had previously served us very well), so I ran outside, got on my comm-link, and asked them to shoot me with the ship's blasters:

"Yes, yes I do want you to shoot me."

"You know, Jedi, I've been secretly hoping you'd ask me to do that."

"Let me refine my request - I want you to shoot me
once."

Our scoundrel of a Captain fires the shot, I roll 'Use the Force' to deflect, succeed, and roll my ranged attack to redirect.  Natural 20.

The Sith Lord couldn't deflect it.  Service Ace, Game, Set, and Match.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
One time, during a one shot campain, the party consisted of a Knight, a Paladin, a Fighter, a Barbarian, and a female rogue(Me) named Katiana... 2 and a half hours in, the knight, the paladin and the fighter both exclamed loud enough to desturb ever game in the convention room "DAMN IT KATIANA, WE ARE NOT YOUR HAREM!"

the barbarian was too busy literally rolling on the floor laughing...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »
This happened last session, actually. Here's some story.

My character is a gnome. a colour-obsessed, borderline ADD gnome. You know, like all of them, but worse. Also, an Illusionist banning Evocation (because apparently Illusion sucks that hard that it only takes 1 in this campaign. I wasn't complaining.) The rest of the party is a Wizard who never has any spells, a Scout who is dysfunctional because he seems to be obsessed with being a mixture of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli (So he carries 4 weapons, and tries to use everyone in a combat) and a crusader. I had recently picked up an artifact which made me have a 50% chance of not casting the spell I was casting, but doing something else. Similar to a toned down rod of wonder. on a 100 it did a rediculously better spell, depending on the situation. I don't know the specifics, only that it was absolutely redonkulous.

We come back to a town after clearing out their kidnapping monkey problem, and the guy isn't paying us what we want. Everyone gets all macho, but them I'm all like 'don worry, I got it.' I go to make a colour spray, and end up doing a Prismatic spray, dealing a pile of acid damage to our guy, and turning both his guards to stone. He calls the guards, everyone around me is flabbergasted, including myself. This gnome is like 'Yes, colours do own.' The guards run in, and I do it again. but this time, prismatic wall. Apparently 9/10ths of the guards disappear, and the other ones surrender. A more surprised DM I've never seen. The DM switchs this redonkulous hat for a rod of wonder, because he decides that it is less damaging in the hands of an ADD sufferer.

More the DMs fault than my awesomeness, but he rolled the dice, and the fact that he got those two spells, the continuation of the colourful theme, was a surprise.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

GrandLlamaQ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2009, 06:20:59 AM »
I've got two to share:
First up was an old Half-Orc Barb, very standard and boring. Running a low level campaign. We ran into this underground market that was deserted, and my Barbarian immediately notices the weapons rack, goes to inspect it and gets caught in an electrified cage. After shocking himself down to about 2 HP trying to break out, he waits for the others to get him out, only to realize the rest of the party is being attacked by bandits...and losing. At which point he looks around, realizes he's close to a potato cart, and using his javelin, spears a potato, pulls it into the cage and hurls it at a Bandit.
Natural 20. Natural 20.
The group laughed for about five minutes before we continued, and my Barbarian decided that since it worked so well he'd keep doing it.
Five minutes later, the party is heavily wounded, but all the bandits are dead.
And thus was born the legend of Thrudd the Spud-chucker.

This one is the whole party working together fairly awesomely I think:
A little later, we're hiding out in a bar as a town is getting raided, when some bandits burst into the bar and we kill them in two rounds. The DM, being a little spiteful, decides to dig out a 7th level Red Wizard of Thay and two Minotaurs to go up against our 2nd Level characters.
So we hear cheering from outside as the bandits glorious leader enters the bar, and demands we lay down our arms or we'll end up slaves. And to demonstrate his seriousness, he fries an NPC to cinders with a Wand.
Me: So...he used a wand?
DM: Yes.
Me: So he pointed the wand at her, right?
DM: [Waiting for me to get to the point] Yes.
Me: I take a swing at his arm.
Roll. 20. Confirm. 20. His arm falls to the floor, blood flying everywhere. Thrudd kicks the arm over to the Wizard who uses the wand to fry the Minotaur. Other Minotaur fails a save against a Scroll of Hold Person the Cleric found and gets dispatched. Thrudd walks over to the screaming Red Wizard, rips off his robes and gear, lops off his other arm and legs, then opens the door to the bar and hurls his naked limbless torso into the street. Less than a minute after the Red Wizard entered the bar, the Bandits were heard fleeing into the night.

I think what makes that story great is imagining from the point of view of the Bandits. They watch their friends go into a bar, hear fighting, friends don't come out. Glorious leader arrives with his fearsome Minos, strolls confidently into the bar...and less than a minute later, comes flying out of the door of the bar nude, with no arms and legs. Hilarious.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:25:34 AM by GrandLlamaQ »

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
I've got two to share:
First up was an old Half-Orc Barb, very standard and boring. Running a low level campaign. We ran into this underground market that was deserted, and my Barbarian immediately notices the weapons rack, goes to inspect it and gets caught in an electrified cage. After shocking himself down to about 2 HP trying to break out, he waits for the others to get him out, only to realize the rest of the party is being attacked by bandits...and losing. At which point he looks around, realizes he's close to a potato cart, and using his javelin, spears a potato, pulls it into the cage and hurls it at a Bandit.
Natural 20. Natural 20.
The group laughed for about five minutes before we continued, and my Barbarian decided that since it worked so well he'd keep doing it.
Five minutes later, the party is heavily wounded, but all the bandits are dead.
And thus was born the legend of Thrudd the Spud-chucker.

This one is the whole party working together fairly awesomely I think:
A little later, we're hiding out in a bar as a town is getting raided, when some bandits burst into the bar and we kill them in two rounds. The DM, being a little spiteful, decides to dig out a 7th level Red Wizard of Thay and two Minotaurs to go up against our 2nd Level characters.
So we hear cheering from outside as the bandits glorious leader enters the bar, and demands we lay down our arms or we'll end up slaves. And to demonstrate his seriousness, he fries an NPC to cinders with a Wand.
Me: So...he used a wand?
DM: Yes.
Me: So he pointed the wand at her, right?
DM: [Waiting for me to get to the point] Yes.
Me: I take a swing at his arm.
Roll. 20. Confirm. 20. His arm falls to the floor, blood flying everywhere. Thrudd kicks the arm over to the Wizard who uses the wand to fry the Minotaur. Other Minotaur fails a save against a Scroll of Hold Person the Cleric found and gets dispatched. Thrudd walks over to the screaming Red Wizard, rips off his robes and gear, lops off his other arm and legs, then opens the door to the bar and hurls his naked limbless torso into the street. Less than a minute after the Red Wizard entered the bar, the Bandits were heard fleeing into the night.

I think what makes that story great is imagining from the point of view of the Bandits. They watch their friends go into a bar, hear fighting, friends don't come out. Glorious leader arrives with his fearsome Minos, strolls confidently into the bar...and less than a minute later, comes flying out of the door of the bar nude, with no arms and legs. Hilarious.
Absolutely fucking awesome. AND LOL-worthy.  :lmao
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2009, 05:42:22 AM »
Dis-armed and de-feeted, always a favorite.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Khorus

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • TPK FTW!
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
In a Pathfinder societies game I bull rushed a mud hut and dropped it on a bunch people with leporosy. :) Then I raged power'd into goku, jk on the last part.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
3.5/pathfinder game

our party, all ecl 4

ogre paladin (plans to fall to blackguard later)
dragonborn (custom creation, not sure of class now that i think about it)
human paladin
human wiz
helf sorc3/barb1 (me)

we arrive at destination. ruined keep. a few skelletal giants in the courtyard, all dead, none undead.. couple hundred years ago the giants attacked the keep, it seems no one cleaned up..

we have two 'large' companions.. who needs doors.. we go over a wall... rather onto a wall..

so i says, hey hike me up to that window in whats left of that tower..

me on draco on ogre, in window.. sit in window, look around.. ick, a rotten body in the middle of the room strapped to some lumber. and a green glowy light behind it.

first things first, i aint going in that room...

cast a spell, im wearin some light armor, make my fail check easy.. cast mount. i encourage the pony i summoned to walk around the room.. nothin.. a couple rounds later after making sure nothing is interested in the pony i dismiss it..

'hey, throw me a rope' i says... i pull out my hand of the mage, and tie the rope to the body/wood... pull the rope tight.. hold rope, jump down from window... make a strength check to keep holding rope as the anchor moves.. give rope to largers and down comes baby cradle and all... paladin - detect evil - nope.

'hoist me back up!', grab ledge, hoist up, the ledge grabs back :( or rather a couple hairy arms grab back..

grapple checks, 22 vs 30 i loose... and in i go... another round/grapple check and i find im pinned by a minotaur. minotaur has a buddy, a bugbear.. who casts blindness on me.. yip, failed save.. on the next availible opportunity, the bugbear applies a significant amount of pressure to my head w/ his morning star... natural 20(confirmed). my buddy the dragonborn is just making it into the room when my head comes off..

draco does something, i forget what, and dives backwards out the window once he sees my head fly off..

he has glide vice fly, so he coasts down to the ground..

about 6 or 8 rounds later.. im still doornails.. along with minotaur, bugbear, couple worgs, hand full of gobs, and a manticore..

the human wiz, lvl 4, had the most body count thanks to flaming sphere... i think the count was 8? mostly gobs though...

really, i cant help but think that if i hadnt dismissed the pony, i probably would have lived..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Giblets

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2009, 06:45:25 AM »
Fist character I ever played was an 8th level fighter4/bard 4. I was joining the rest of the game and the dm and other party members were finishing up from where the last session left off. They put me in front of that really crap 3.0 character gen and told me it would help me make my character, when I asked what were my most important abilities they replied strength, cha, con, and dex. So not knowing the rules I proceed to jack up my abilities to Str 84, Dex 92, Con 95, Int 78, Wis 82, and Cha 94.

The real kicker is the DM didnt't review my character sheet, so later in the session the party gets split up while trying to solve a maze with a series of puzzles in it. Well I end up finding the exit wich led to a devils lair where the rest of the party was trapped in cages. I enter combat with the devil and after my insane init roll the DM finally asks to see my char sheet, glancing over he begins to chuckle and hands it back to me and we resume combat. So my first character saves the party going toe to toe with a fairly high level devil. After whipping the snot out of it the DM explains that he didnt think the maze was hard enough to trap all the players but one and that since it was his slip up that my stats were jacked all to hell that he allowed it so that the encounter wouldnt turn into a tpk.

Needless to say I rerolled a new char immediately. This one a Rogue Barbarian.

bihlbo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
I was playing a lich channeler in the Midnight setting. We entered a huge, abandoned keep and got set to spend the night there. Being a lich, I spent the night in study, trying to learn a new spell from a book I got out of a bad guy's chambers.

Spiders started crawling under the door, so I ordered my undead minion to seal the door behind me, and I ordered my familiar to feast on the spiders still in the room. I went to investigate, bringing my pack with me (in it I had scrolls, potions, and most importantly, my lorebook containing virtually all my character knew, secret or otherwise).

I eventually ran into the vampire master of the keep and politely introduced myself. He was pissed. Turns out the artefact I kept with me that surpressed the undead's violent urges to maim and kill all living things had removed his desire to drink the blood of the living too, and he wanted it back. He liked it.

I tried instead to make him an ally, attempting to convince him that our fight against the dark god was one that would benefit him as well, and that I would be leaving in the morning. He sent his giant spiders after me. They weren't much of a challenge, but they did web me up pretty good.

Ignoring my distressing situation, I continued trying to get him to join us. That's when he spotted my lorebook sticking out of my pack. He demanded it in return for my freedom and I declined, so he attacked. First with lightning, then with cold rays, while his spiders tried to stab me. The GM had forgotten lich properties (immune to lightning and cold, and DR 15/bludgeoning and magic) so I bluffed that the spells were tearing me up. I told him I was bluffing about something, but not about what, and the vampire kept rolling poorly.

"How's he look?" I asked.
"Quite spent," the GM replied. "He also looks surprised, because really, you took on some powerful spells. Holy crap you have a lot of hit points."
"Yeah, sure do," I said dismissively. "I ready an action to cast the spell I have written on this card as soon as he's in range to touch. Bluff save so he doesn't know that's my plan."
The GM rolls, then, "Failed again! The vampire says, 'I tire of this' and swoops in to grab your pack that contains your lorebook," he said ominously.
"Does a 23 hit his touch AC?" I asked after rolling. "Good, he's been hit with a heal spell."

"Oh." Crestfallen, he continues, "The vampire swoops away with your pack and coughs, looking hurt."
"I say, 'You shouldn't have done that. I could have used a minion like you.' 29 still hits his touch AC right? A bolt of blue and black energy shoots out and crushes the vampire's chest. I cast disrupt undead."
Another player chimes in, "Wait that's a 0-level spell right? What the hell?"
"Yes, it's a 0-level spell," I reply. "It does 1 point of damage."
"The vampire," the GM continues, "shrivles into a pile of dust."
Everyone woops, laughing that the vampire lord of this keep was killed by such a lowly spell. "So how long will it take you to heal up after that epic fight anyway? He threw everything he had at you," the GM asked.
"Maybe you should look at my character sheet."

We all thought it was pretty hillarious.
Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori