Author Topic: The "Coolest Stuff You've Done In-game" thread.  (Read 15634 times)

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: The "Coolest Stuff You've Done In-game" thread.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »
Live-action group called "Adventures in Mid-Land."

I was playing a Goblin.  Not just any Goblin, mind you, but a Spackwater Goblin--a member of the poorest, most wretched tribe in the Free Lands.  The Spackwaters were known for mutations and deformities--my Goblin had a nose that was a good eight inches long, from which he got his nickname: "The Beak."

The Beak was cowardly, conniving, and greedy.  He'd come to the human settlements to make some money in order to pay off a rather large gambling debt; he had a weakness for cards, and wasn't particularly good at them.  The way he saw it, the humans were powerful, unpredictable, and violent, but they were also rich--so he was going to just keep smiling and nodding and agreeing with them while taking them for everything he could get.

An odd thing happened with the Beak, though: he developed a conscience.  Every time the you-know-what hit the fan, I found him charging in to do the right thing--to his amazement and mine.  His battle cry was "What the hell am I DOING!?"

This culminated with a mission in which the Beak (who had the constitution of a cockroach and was basically immune to disease) was one of only a handful of characters not incapacitated by a plague, and had to go on a quest to find the cure.  Long story short: when a voice told us that one of us would have to sacrifice his life for the cure, everyone else stepped back and the Beak stepped forward.

As a result, my cowardly, conniving, poison-using, compulsive-gambling Goblin became the chosen disciple of the Goddess of Healing and Mercy.  Now THAT was an interesting pairing.

Ultimately, though, the Beak developed a purpose greater than just making money and keeping himself alive.  He started to wonder why his own tribe shouldn't have some of the wealth and luxury he saw among the humans. 

Now: the Beak made money.  He made a LOT of money.  And, ultimately, he achieved his goal:  first, acting through intermediaries, he purchased the land on which his tribe lived from the King of Selinor (the main human kingdom.)  Next, he made a trip to the Free Lands to visit the Goblin King, and purchased the land from HIM.

Yep--I bought a country.  Twice.

That's a nice way to wrap up a character's story. :)

Thats .. pretty damn epic Caelic.  :clap
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
D&D 3.5

My character was asleep in a Tavern/Inn that had just been pillaged the day before; he had successfully Intimidated the bandits to just get the hell out of Dodge - from time to time I let evil-doers off the hook hoping I don't have to get covered in their blood.

Well 3 of the bastards came back that night and it was no surprise when I failed my Listen check with something like a grand total of -13 (Inattentive+Asleep+Awesome Roll  of 1=Awesomely Alert!)

Well, I was Coup-De-Graced in my sleep - I make my death save and wake up (Damage Reduction+Delayed Damage Pool anyone?).  Two guys are holding me down and there's one guy standing there with his sword buried in my chest.

Did I mention I'm a desert half-orc mineral warrior?  Easily making my grapple check, I bust my 1/day earthstrike, natural 20, confirm it, kill a man with my bare hands by sticking my fingers through his eye-sockets, then I *cleave* into the guy next to him with the same skull-fucking maneuver and likewise kill him.

The third guy has no weapon now because he shit himself (literally) and left the sword buried in my chest.  I take his testicles and fashion a pair of dice out of them with Craft: Taxidermy.

The lesson? Leave sleeping desert half-orc mineral warriors where they lay.

Pyro_Azer

• Monkey bussiness
  • Epic Jester
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 11:34:24 PM »
In a high level campaign i had a wizard that worked a side job a a jester(don't ask). Anyway we were fighting through an evil wizards tower. The DM fully expected us to fight the wizards personal bodygaurd and then fight the wizard. Unfortunately i had other plans. Due to some lucky rolling and smart spells and items I turned the wizards bodygaurd into a fanatic for me. Our party then ordered him to kill the wizard. It was successful.
Rules of life:  1: Everything Burns   2: If something does not burn see rule #1.

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »
This last game day with my group, we were playing Shadowrun 2E, and we all very stupidly let ourselves get captured. It involved a standard 'if you want to see your friends again...' note and bottles of knockout drugs brewed for each of us specifically. The Dwarf drunk one full bottle meant for the elf, then mixed his mostly full bottle with the other orcs mostly full bottle and downed that.

Anyways, we then get sent through some combat challenges by a company we had been working against, shooting up lots of sasquatch and vampires along the way. We then get to a water challenge, where we have to sink the other guys boat. Ingame, it was done because we were killing shit good, but we know the REAL reason we were given rubber bullets is because one of the guys wanted nice ammo for the boat guns.

After a fast and furious fight, both of the boats are dead in the water, and the next to act would likely win. That would be me, using the loaner machine gun to turn their boat into swiss cheese. With rubber bullets.

Good times.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:14 AM »
Group's going through a dungeon, I'm playing a Wild Elf Barbarian (D&D 3.5). We come to a door and I listen at it, and hear some big speech, think Hitler style, in a deep booming voice. I open the door a crack and peek in, and see a Minotaur talking to a bunch of goblins. I close the door again and start pulling out lamp oil and alchemist's fire, and tie the bottles together. I open the door again, throw the bundle in and close it. I back up and ready my bow, and the rest of the group readies their weapons. The goblins trickle out, on fire, and drop, the ones that aren't damaged enough I shoot down.

Then the minotaur bursts out. I'm in front, so I'm first, the minotaur attacks and sends me flying to the end of the short corridor, he attacks the rest of the party, but then charges me, goring me and pinning me to the wall.

At this point I turn to the dm and say "so, his horn is going through me and stuck into the wall?" "Yeah" I look down, and grin, and lop the damn thing's head off.

I then proceed to skin it and turn it's hide into a hooded/masked trenchcoat (with the horns and crown of the skull still in the hood), die it in it's blood, make a goblet from it's skull, and so on and so forth.

that was a fun game.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
Group encounters a Bulette in a dungeon. There's a deep chasm/hole nearby. As the encounter starts I use SMII to call a wolf and promptly order him to throw himself in the chasm, while I ready an action to cast Baleful Transposition when the wolf moves. The bulette fails the save.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 11:32:30 AM »
This is more for what two players did in a game I ran.  This one was also fun, because it was the one time my wife (girlfriend at the time) had fun with D&D

Years back I was running a 2E game (with Player's Option material), set in 18th century Europe.  Magic was supposed to be very rare.  The two characters were a gun-slinging fighter and a witch (using the Spells & Magic warlock casting variant).

For whatever reason, these two low level characters had to take on a small fort.  The fighter had a tendancy to load up on nearly a dozen firearms so he could go a while without reloading, so he was able to shoot the place up pretty well.  I think they attacked from the cover of darkness, which helped keep them from taking much fire.  Speaking of fire, they managed to light up a portion of the wooden wall, and the witch made judicous use of Affect Normal Fires (ah, I miss that on in 3.5), eventually setting the whole place up!

I wish I remember the specifics, but basically, two low-level PCs managed to take on an etire fort.  The two of them still bring that game up.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
Group encounters a Bulette in a dungeon. There's a deep chasm/hole nearby. As the encounter starts I use SMII to call a wolf and promptly order him to throw himself in the chasm, while I ready an action to cast Baleful Transposition when the wolf moves. The bulette fails the save.

Congratulations--you invented the sling Bulette.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »

Congratulations--you invented the sling Bulette.

I thought it was more like bungee jump without the cable...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
PhaedrusXY needs to post here.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 07:19:50 AM »
Bluffing a fortress guardian into believing our party was encyclopedia salesmen.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
Bluffing a fortress guardian into believing our party was encyclopedia salesmen.

Might as well go with TV repairman and pull off a Bruno the Bandit...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 05:27:02 AM »
Updated now that it's been revealed in game, and my players have no chance of seeing spoilers:

Using journalists as a disease vector - for a plot point.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
2E high level game

I was DMing, and the fighter/mage is on a solo campaign with one of the other players watching, off to rescue a princess from an evil illusionist.  He flis over and lands on top of the tower, when suddenly twenty death knights (Really Tough Baddies) appear out of nowhere and attack him!

The player freaks out immediately and shouts: "How did this illusionist get TWENTY DEATH KNIGHTS??"

I tried to run the combat, but the other player was on the floor, laughing so hard it was imposible.

Autopsibiofeeder

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »
3.0 ish (3.5 wasn't out yet). We were fighting in a dungeon that featured a ceiling with a lot of shafts/passageways, to facilitate the resident beholder(s). We knew there was a beholder around, but we were at that point fighting some big hardhitting monsters (don't quite remember what). The party mage was invisible, hiding and buffing where possible, as he had run out of combat spells. As such he and the ranger agreed that the ranger could get a fly spell, so he could shoot arrows freely without aforementioned hardhitters charching him.
I played a psychic warrior (we adapted the class to make it workable) and was having a blast with the monsters. I was metamorphose'd into a stone giant, wreaking havoc with a huge greatsword.

The DM asks the ranger where he plans to position himself and they work it out on the map.

DM: You sure...here?
Ranger: Yah, definately...blabla line of sight blabla contingency plan.
It sure sounded like a good idea
DM: *Scratches head* Gee, well, you position yourself directly in line of sight of the beholder and it fires a ray on you, make a save.
Ranger: *fails*
DM: Your skin tickles as it seems to freeze and within a second you are turned into a statue
Ranger: Doh!...oh, hehe, a flying statue!
DM: No...a falling statue....you are about to fall 50ft, smash into the floor and shatter.
Ranger: And then?
DM: You die

Awkward silence ensues as the ranger sobs at his sheet

Me: Hang on, it is my turn...*puzzles*. Allright, am I strong enough to lift the statue? (DM confirms). Ok, I manifest a quickened dimension door, to where the statue is, catch it mid air and fall with it
DM: Uhh, ok *has me roll some checks to execute my move with precision, I roll very well* You know, that's really gonna hurt..
Me: I don't care, even if it breaks all the bones in my body. I wanna grab him, hug him and make sure we fall so I hit the floor first.
DM: Okay, that's awesome enough I'll let it work. *rolls damage for me* The statue lives
Ranger: *Happy*
Me: *Proud*

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
That's awesome, even if your DM made a wrong call. Fly grants perfect maneuverability... and anything with perfect maneuverability that gets hit, paralyzed, etc. continues to fly until the effect runs out.  :)

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Autopsibiofeeder

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
want to fall? Seeing how someone turned into stone becomes mindless, these questions are important and likely played a role, as that is how we treat fly :) .

Anyways, it was a nice thought excercise I figured to share. It doesn't really matter. Maybe the anti-magic eye cone of the beholder had something to do with it, I honestly don't know, or can't remember. A point I would like to make, though, is that the players did not oppose his ruling, were satisfied and enjoyed the session...slap consistency on the side of the DM onto that and I think you have a call that is different at worst, but cannot be 'wrong'. But that's semantics and beyond the point of the thread  ;).

Cheers!

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
want to fall? Seeing how someone turned into stone becomes mindless, these questions are important and likely played a role, as that is how we treat fly :) .

Anyways, it was a nice thought excercise I figured to share. It doesn't really matter. Maybe the anti-magic eye cone of the beholder had something to do with it, I honestly don't know, or can't remember. A point I would like to make, though, is that the players did not oppose his ruling, were satisfied and enjoyed the session...slap consistency on the side of the DM onto that and I think you have a call that is different at worst, but cannot be 'wrong'. But that's semantics and beyond the point of the thread  ;).

Cheers!

I suppose you're right. I was just pointing out the RAW side of the thought exercise.  :P

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »
Well, it failed, but, last thursday my rogue failed by 2 on a bluff check to convince a horde of goblins that hobgoblin invaders were building metal gear.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 02:02:56 AM »
Well, it failed, but, last thursday my rogue failed by 2 on a bluff check to convince a horde of goblins that hobgoblin invaders were building metal gear.

Don't you mean Metal Gear? Those capital letters make a lotta difference, y'know.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]