Author Topic: Weird Die  (Read 2125 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Weird Die
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »
I bought a strange D10 last weekend. Each face has the same triangle on it. I show it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs05KLfAoYk

Anyone know what it is?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Weird Die
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:24:44 PM »
Writing in your own numbers? No clue.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »
Actually, I can see someone wanting one so that they could at least pretend they were rolling, when instead they knew that the number would be a 16 always anyway. (As a DM.)

Why you wouldn't just use a normal die and lie, I have no idea.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:31:31 PM »
to confuse the hell out of World of Darkness players?

I think the best explanation i've seen so far was a random direction generation but that doesn't apply in most games i know of. Plus there was no reason for it to be a 10 sided to do that.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
Maybe it's got numbers on it in UV ink.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
Pretty sure it's a scatter die.  Obviously you don't need the little triangles (any D8 or D10 will function just the same) but when rolling scatter on something the direction the triangle is pointing (towards the upwards point on the die) is the direction you've just rolled. 

JaronK

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
Pretty sure it's a scatter die.  Obviously you don't need the little triangles (any D8 or D10 will function just the same) but when rolling scatter on something the direction the triangle is pointing (towards the upwards point on the die) is the direction you've just rolled. 

JaronK

That makes sense I guess. But it just seems so... elaborate... I'll just add it to my collection. Along with my D100, D30, D24 and all the other oddities. :)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »

JaronK

That makes sense I guess. But it just seems so... elaborate... I'll just add it to my collection. Along with my D100, D30, D24 and all the other oddities. :)

Yeah, only scatter die I know is a D6 used for Warhammer (40K)...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 12:56:35 AM »
Scatter dice are actually pretty handy in lots of games.  Grenade scatter, dropped object scatter, and so on.  Heck, my Shadowrun team is having to deal with a grenade happy enemy runner right now, and it comes up a lot (Grenade Link + IPE Offensive Grenades in a grenade launcher... you've never seen a shadowrun team looking quite so scared).

JaronK

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 01:28:28 AM »
Scatter dice are actually pretty handy in lots of games.  Grenade scatter, dropped object scatter, and so on.  Heck, my Shadowrun team is having to deal with a grenade happy enemy runner right now, and it comes up a lot (Grenade Link + IPE Offensive Grenades in a grenade launcher... you've never seen a shadowrun team looking quite so scared).

JaronK

Lol, sounds like my first Shadowrun character. I had been playing a lot of Splinter Cell when I made him so I wanted him to be a stealth operative. In my first mission I found my position had great cover but that the enemies were in the open and a good distance away so sneaking up wouldn't work.

I just plunked grenades in their from my underbarrel launcher (Ares Alpha) until they were all dead or disabled (Disabled ones ran to cover and got cleaned up by my party IIRC)
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.