Author Topic: A spell concept (P.E.A.C.H needed!)  (Read 2464 times)

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
A spell concept (P.E.A.C.H needed!)
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »
(needs a flavorful name)
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Level: Wiz/Sor 6, Clr 6, Beguiler 5
Components:    V, S, M
Casting Time:    single action
Range:    Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets:    Single creature designated by the caster
Duration:    3 rounds + 1 round/2 level
Saving Throw:    Will Partial
Spell Resistance:    Yes

As you utter the word, a ripple of near-invisible energy shoots out between your eyebrows. The energy makes its way unerringly to the target, the impact of the spell is apparent. Her eyes are not as focus, her determination seemed to be swayed, as if a shackle of gigantic proportion has been put on her mind.

This spell drops the victim's Initiative to 1. Any boost to the target's Initiative is suppressed during the spell's duration. If a single effect includes elements other than altering Initiative, those elements are unaffected. Any boost to target's Initiative that takes effect during the duration is consider suppressed.

Arcane Focus: A jade figurine with shackle to its ankle, worth at least 300 GP.

This spell is credited being researched by a Beguiler whose name is long lost, with a feverish love for amateur court-dueling. With his body not being in the top-notch condition his opponents has, he researched this spell to gain him a upper hand in those matches, sometime it's crucial. When this secret disclosed, he was promptly thrown out of his social circle.And this is all the known facts one can discover about this spell.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: A spell concept (P.E.A.C.H needed!)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
A terrible useless spell.

It costs a standard action to do what? If they fail a save you may get another standard action. And this for a 6th level compulsion spell?

Yeah, totally not worth ever casting by anyone.

What you are looking for is Shock and Awe, which actually works because it's 3rd level, has no save, and is a swift action cast.

If they fail a 6th level will save it could be Dominate Person instead. That's much better.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
Way too high level for what it does.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
Also, the spell block and text disagree. The table lists a material component while the spell requires a focus. Also, the save entry says will partial but no partial effect is given.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »
Text over table ;)

But yeah, I do agree that this spell is of too high level to be useful when compared to other level 6 spells.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Level: Wiz/Sor 4, Clr 4, Beguiler 3
Components:    V, S, F
Casting Time:    swift action
Range:    Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets:    Single creature designated by the caster
Duration:    3 rounds + 1 round/2 level(see text)
Saving Throw:    Will Partial
Spell Resistance:    No

If target failed his will save, the spell behaves as follow:At the start of target's action, roll a D20. If the result is greater than caster's CL, the target retain his action, but treat his initiative as 1. If less than, target lose his action. The spell ends as the target loses 3 rounds + 1 round/2 level. These rounds need not to be continued.

If the target passed the will save, his will save suffer from a -4 penalty in 3 rounds + 1 round/2 level

So how's this one look?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:06:53 PM »
Needlessly complex duration that makes the spell much better with level,

Why should a level 6 Beguiler who casts the spell be worse at effecting a level 1 character then a level 20 Beguiler is at effecting a level 20 Beguiler?

Just make it a normal duration. And if they succeed the Will save, they should lose Int or something, not suffer a will save penalty, since that makes this a spell that beguilers cast in the hopes someone will fail.

Wih

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »
Personally, I'd have it function as a reverse Nerveskitter - Immediate action to use when starting combat. Perhaps a Will save partial, with success lowering their score by 1/2 CL, and a fail owering them to last in the initiative?
Most 3.5 games I've been in don't keep track of the numbers after the order has been established, so keeping the number changes in effect when the numbers are rolled would IMHO be best. 
You're reading a genuine, 100% natural Wih post - they say they're as rare as hen's teeth from a Chicken Infestee's pocket. Oooh, aaah! </unlurk>

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
I second "reverse nerveskitter."  Too complicated--why would it have a duration?  That would be a pain in the ass--shifting initiative more than once.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:38:44 AM »
I second (or is that seventh? eighth?) the idea that it's a horribly underpowered spell for its level.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:03:27 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]