Author Topic: Falling Objects - How can I avoid?  (Read 3118 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Falling Objects - How can I avoid?
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:27:40 AM »
Falling objects rules fail to mention what type of check or save is needed to hit something.  What are these rules?

My DM and I disagree about whether a falling rock would be a reflex save, AC attack, or touch AC attack.  Also, what would be the DC or accuracy bonus of such an object?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Falling Objects - How can I avoid?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:29:25 AM »
It's a straight attack against AC, I think. Which is odd, because I thought it'd be a reflex save. But according to the sample traps on page 71 of the DMG, bricks or stone blocks falling from a ceiling are both attacks against normal AC. Logically then, any other falling object would be the same. However, I have no idea how one would calculate the attack bonus of that.
This space intentionally left blank.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
I'd say depends on the size, a small falling object, no larger than a man, is an attack vs AC. A large falling object, enough to significantly occupy a 5ft square, is a reflex save to get out of the square. Multiple small falling objects are likewise a ref save for half.

This is pulled straight from my ass though, but a sensible application for general purposes.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Iczer

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »
a trap requires the attack roll, mainly becuase it is an object placed precisely so.  random falling objects would need a reflex save.

I'm just confused as to why reflex saves do not require any movement, nor do they chew up any actions. a person can run straight into gunfire, dodging the whole way, without really adjusting course or speed.

But yes.  The DMG states that avalanches and rockslides require reflex saves rather than attack rolls.  I'd assume that a cluster of rocks falling from height should also be such a save.

Batts

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:36:41 AM »
I'm just confused as to why reflex saves do not require any movement, nor do they chew up any actions. a person can run straight into gunfire, dodging the whole way, without really adjusting course or speed.

That's the DM's job.  It should be in the book, ESPECIALLY for the ridiculous abuse that Evasion gets in d20 Modern, where by RAW, you can stand on a hand grenade, and as long as you roll a good reflex save, you're fine.

I think it needs to be errata'd that a reflex save eats your move action for the next round, and requires that you be able to leave the area of effect for any reduction in damage.  Perhaps with Evasion you can move up to half your base movement, and with Improved Evasion up to full base movement.  That way it better portrays, well...  Evasive movement!   :plot
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 01:17:04 AM »
Just do the reflex save like for Wall of Stone, where you jump out of the area to be sealed with handwavium movement.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:18:38 AM »
Let's say my Dire Eagle animal companion picks up a 400 lb boulder, big enough to fill most of one 5' square, then drops it immediately above a foe.  What's the Reflex save from 10' up?  20'?  40'?  1000'?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »
Let's say my Dire Eagle animal companion picks up a 400 lb boulder, big enough to fill most of one 5' square, then drops it immediately above a foe.  What's the Reflex save from 10' up?  20'?  40'?  1000'?
The higher the drop should make the DC lower, if anything!  More time to react!
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »
This is supposed to be DM fiat'd. Once we set down concrete rules for rocks falling, DMs will no longer claim control over who lives and who dies at any given moment. They'd have to resort to things like "Dimensional tectonic plates slip, you die" or "Pun-Pun is bored, you die," and where's the fun in that? Just accept that there will never be a defined set of rules for rocks falling because, deep down, all game designers want the DM to be able to do whatever the fuck they want.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:03:51 PM »
Naw, the DM can always drop more and bigger rocks. The moon falling takes care of most.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
Like a PC can't do that ;)

EDIT: Should be fun in Eberron :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
Yep, but in Eberron, you could declare an enormous rain of Siberys shards are coming down around the party, and while they are celebrating their newfound riches, inform them that the biggest chunk is about to land and it's the size of Sharn.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]