Author Topic: The Chummaker  (Read 3087 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
The Chummaker
« on: December 26, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
Just a ridiculous idea I pieced together this morning...

Ingredients:
Living Spell: MM3, turns your spell(s) into an ooze
Sentry Ooze: Dungeonscape, template that makes your ooze intelligent, boosts stats, grants skills and feats
Spells:
- Resilient Sphere (Wiz 4, PHB) - creates an impenetrable sphere
- create water (Wiz 0, PHB) - fills sphere with water
- water to acid (Wiz 3, Stormwrack) - as the name implies
- Manyjaws (Wiz 3, SC) - 10 sets of nibbling teeth for 3 rounds
- use CL 13

So the idea is simply thus: The ooze walks up to someone and either hits them or engulfs them, and they are subject to all the spells contained within. The results is that they are encased within a sphere of acid, being chewed to death. Hence...

The Chummaker
type: huge ooze
hd: 13d10 + 24 = 98 hp
init: +6
speed: 20'
AC: 17 (+4 deflection, +3 dex)
BAB/grapple: +9/+20
attack: slam +9 melee (1d8 + 3) plus spell effects... encase in sphere, damage 10d6 (jaws, force, ref for half, 3 rounds) + 10d6 (submerged in acid)
space/reach: 15/15
SA: spell effect, engulf... DC 21
SQ: DR 10/magic, SR 23
saves: 10/11/13 (+4 vs mind effects)
Str 14, Dec 17, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 21, Cha 24
skills: open... class skills: climb, hide, listen, move silently
feats: 5 open... I would suggest at least Ability Focus to up your DC to 23
CR: 15

edit: and yes, I realize the whole things sits on a bit of a fuzzy premise that assumes the spells take effect in a specific order rather than purely simultaneously... just work with me here; but really just the sphere and any damage-over-time spell should work

edit: messed up a few calculations
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:59:21 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

JohnOSevens

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: The Chummaker
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »
Except that if its skin is an impenetrable sphere, how do they get into where the acid is?
John O'Sevens
formerly SageBahamut on 339

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
I think that the engulf special ability allows for it. It also seems to deal with the immobile feature of resilient sphere
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »
The living spell wouldn't be surrounded by the sphere. It's not affected by the spell it's made of, or a Living Fireball would be a really easy encounter.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:17:28 AM »
The idea is that they are subject to the spells only when hit by engulf. So they are surrounded by water, which in turn is transmuted to acid, and contained in an impenetrable orb of force.

Fiendish indeed, but at lv15, I expect most PCs should have some way of countering that.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 03:14:22 AM »
It's apparent that I misunderstood the true effect of living spells.
That's a well thought out idea: it follows the rules (area or effect based spells only) while surmounting the obstacle of no targeted spells. :thumb

Create H2O isn't normally on the sor/wiz list, and would create only 26 gallons (about 3.5 ft3) . Plus, I don't see where the 10d6 acid comes in: the water to acid only states 1d6 acid while in the acid created. Why not replace them with acid fog? This bumps the AC by 2, the saves by 2, Str Dex Con Wis and Cha each by 2, and bumps the CR by 2. If you wanted to keep the CR lower, you could use acid arrow (another effect based targeted spell) instead, reducing the CR to 14 and doing 2d4 acid damage for 5 rounds (2d4 on the 1st round +4 for CL13) while leaving your other stats alone.

Fun idea! Plus, I'd not noticed the Sentry Ooze entry; that's pretty neat! Almost makes a playable PC race...;)
Camlen, Enniwey

JohnOSevens

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 04:06:51 AM »
Oh I get it. You make the sphere the living spell, and then it engulfs the victim, merges with itself on the other side, and goo's right over him. I see what you did there.

That is pretty nasty.
The 10d6 isn't Acid damage, it's Force damage, from the Manyjaws.
John O'Sevens
formerly SageBahamut on 339

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 04:25:15 AM »
<snip>
attack: slam +9 melee (1d8 + 3) plus spell effects... encase in sphere, damage 10d6 (jaws, ref for half, 3 rounds) + 10d6 (acid)
<snip>

bolding mine ;)
Camlen, Enniwey

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 05:46:33 AM »
I'm going to take a guess that this is the damage for being submerged in acid for a round.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 06:12:53 AM »
Being submerged in acid is indeed 10d6 damage. I messed up my DC calculation though, it's DC 21, not 26.

The idea is that they are subject to the spells only when hit by engulf. So they are surrounded by water, which in turn is transmuted to acid, and contained in an impenetrable orb of force.

Fiendish indeed, but at lv15, I expect most PCs should have some way of countering that.
Yeah, it's not exactly a super threat at CR 15. I was going more for silliness than anything; kind of disappointed the CR wound up so high. Take out the acid and remove the sentry ooze template, I think that can bring it down to CR 11. If I settle for large instead of huge and take the CL down a bit, I think that can knock it down to CR 8-9. The save DC will be 16 at that point. Not too shabby as a CR 8 mindless monster actually.

The whole jaws + acid was just for fun. As I said way up in the beginning, the sphere + any long lasting spell is a decent combo (tentacles of forced intrusion anyone?).
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 06:34:07 AM »
No problem here, it's a novel idea and a fun one, but I still don't see how 3.5 ft3 counts as "submerged in acid".

Reducing the CR is good, but losing the skills and such, as well as basic planning and execution that intelligence would allow is pretty harsh.
Camlen, Enniwey

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 07:27:25 AM »
To be honest I never actually bothered to calculate how much water was needed. Looking at the numbers, I guess those don't really work out that well. You could always stack multiple create waters and water to acids... but at that point it'd probably make more sense to find a better spell. At higher levels, it may work better to use Forcecage instead, and find something nastier to put inside.
---

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 03:57:10 PM »
how about these:

Acid Fog
Incendiary Cloud
Cloudkill

any Area spell that deals continuous damage over a large area should work well for this

:D

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
Loving the idea of this concept, Surreal :D

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »
So, if I'm not mistaken, living Explosive Runes would be plain awesome? I mean.. Engulf everything, including items, which means that after the ooze's gone.. Well, EVERYTHING is encased in explosive runes.

Not exactly what you were looking for, just something that occured to me. :p

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
how about these:

Acid Fog
Incendiary Cloud
Cloudkill

any Area spell that deals continuous damage over a large area should work well for this

:D

Cloudkill was one that came to mind too. What other spells are there that damage stats and/or will cause death over time other than through direct damage?

So, if I'm not mistaken, living Explosive Runes would be plain awesome? I mean.. Engulf everything, including items, which means that after the ooze's gone.. Well, EVERYTHING is encased in explosive runes.

Not exactly what you were looking for, just something that occured to me. :p

Unfortunately, explosive runes targets an object, which means it can't be made into a living spell.
---

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
ugh

Reminds me of Christmas dinner ... <barf> ...  :lol

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
Yummy...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol