Author Topic: Break My Psionic Powers Revision  (Read 10765 times)

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Break My Psionic Powers Revision
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
Badly worded. As currently phrased you could use all class specific augments of another class for ANY power you have, not just the powers you chose.

Aero:
Negative Augmentation 6 (-3 PP to reduce 10ft speed) plus three iterations of Augmentation 1 (1 PP to increase speed by 5ft.) is a net speed increase of 5ft for 0 PP, so long as you don't mind not bull rushing anything. This means that you can use NI amounts of augmentation to get NI fly speed.

Affinity Field:
While the duration lasts, creatures within the affinity field take all damage (including nonlethal and ability damage) as you do and heal all wounds as you do (regardless of whether the source of the damage was a spell, power, or other effect; such healing effects are limited to healing of hit points and ability damage).
Badly worded, "creatures within the affinity field" technically includes you too. Giving the impression of causing an infinite loop. Use something like "creatures except for you within the affinity field".
. On the other hand, if you are subject to the heal spell, all creatures in the affinity field are also healed (or are damaged, in the case of undead).
Your example is wrong. Undead would be immune to that due to the fact they are immune to fortitude saves from effects that don't affect objects.
Creatures in range are also subject to non-damaging magical and psionic effects of 3rd level or lower
You forgot to say they are subject to effects that you are subject to.

Anchored Navigation
You set up a teleport beacon that broadcasts your position to anyone manifesting a long-range teleportation power, allowing them to home-in on your location, even if they have never been there before
Nitpick: It broadcasts the beacon's position, not yours.

Animate Objects
Firstly, your creature tables mention "distraction" attacks even on single animated objects, is this intentional? Furthermore it references page 13 of the MM, which does not mention distraction at all. It's only mentioned around page 200 which is the swarms entry.
I imagine this might be an extremely strong power at low levels. At CL 1 you can have 4 small clubs (which are dimunitive objects, see weapons section in PHB) with +1 attack and 1d4 damage each, and have, if I'm reading this right, a DC 10 distraction.
It may also be used to "wield" things like the life-drinker without penalty.

Aphasia
Did not state how to cure it (eg, Wish/Miracle/Reality Revisions etc.) If that was intentional it's probably a bad idea.

Aquis
Not actually broken, though practically unlimited water makes games with enforced food and drinking a bit easy. Still fun,

Assimilate
If you bring its cost down 2 using the negative augmentation, you can kill goblins or something to get the stat boosts for cheap, or augment to easily get high ability bonuses... untyped ability bonuses.

Aura Alteration
Confusing description.
Why is a spell that alters auras also removing charms and compulsions? Also it says it can cleanse an aura of a baleful effect, giving the impression of removing evil spells (or removing baleful polymorph, for those even more confused by this/who don't know what baleful means) while in actual fact it only cleanses charms and compulsions.

Aversion
Does not say you can't apply both 3 and 4 at the same time, making the effective augmentation of 3 +4 PP.

I'll stop at the "A"s for now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:55:16 AM by telehax »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »
<Stuff>
...Wow. I really dropped the ball, didn't I...

Thanks for the myriad catches there, though I shudder to think of all the other errors you're about to catch if you've found all of those and haven't even gotten past aversion yet... :(

I'm gonna get to work on fixing those. Soon. Promise...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:13:32 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »
Baleful Teleport
Augmentation Option 4 gives +1 against PR for every 2 PP spent on increasing damage. There's nothing stopping someone from adding NI PP to increase PR checks to NI and then subtracting the damage to bring the net augmentation cost to 0 using the negative augmentation, as currently written.

Beastial Morphology
The text about how it stacks is pointless, powers already stack like that since it's the same spell with different effects that don't make each other irrelevant. Probably good merely as clarification text though.
Why does it say "for every 2 PP you spend..." on option 1 when the doublings are not cumulative? Did you mean they don't stack multiplicatively?

Bestow Power
I'm not sure why there's a limit of PP transferred based on manifester level when you can only transfer 2 PP anyway. Even the rare case of level 1 manifesters where this rule would be signidicant does not seem to imbalance things at all.

Body Purification
You can decrease the die size even if you're healing ability damage, giving a -3 PP cost for free for that purpose. It may also be a good idea to mention that the minimum die size you can have is d4.

Brain Lock
. He stands dazed, unable to take any psionic actions (including manifesting powers or using psionic feats that require a decision to be used), nor any mental actions at all.
Confusing, sounds as if the last two parts are describing the dazed status effect. Also I'm pretty sure psionic actions are a subset of mental actions, I may be wrong though.

CataPsi
Using a psi-like ability becomes a full-round action, instead of a standard action, in a catapsi field
What if it wasn't originally a standard action?
   Upon entering a catapsi field, creatures are entitled to a Psicraft check to determine that it will interfere with their manifestations, and how many power points of interference it entails (DC 29).
Probably a good idea to also allow a spellcraft check in this case, lest unwitting spellcasters...

Catfall
I believe option 3b should in fact be 3aa

Charm, Psionic
2. For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power can affect an additional target. Any additional target can not be more than 15 ft from another target of the power.
Your rework is the perfect time to clarify what was an extremely confusing statement even in the original XPH. Do all targets need to be 15ft from each other? Or do they just need to be within 15ft of just one other?
2a Should probably say distance instead of area.

Clairvoyant Sense
"You could be attacked " in the section about the scrying sensor: Needs elaboration, can your sensor be attacked? What is it's AC/HP? Etc.

Climate Control
I believe option 2 should be 1a

Concussion Blast
I think 3 should be 2a

Control Air
Might want to say that the radius for water is halved instead of a set "changed to 25ft radius" so you can augment that usage. Ditto for the speed.
"Glass is technically a liquid!" :P
   2a. For every additional power point you spend, you can alter existent wind speeds by 5 mph (this breaks the 60 mph cap as noted above).
I believe the way this is written allows you to pay 1PP for 2a and remove the cap for 2.

Control Body
Wouldn't this allow you to control another manifester (or yourself, if you have some concentration tricks) so you can attack with them while they manifest? (though this was already possible with the original)
Also, why is it a reflex save? Sounds like more of a fort save.

Control Light
Darkness for 1PP? (Admittedly, this darkness is defeated by darkvision, but still...)
Shouldn't increasing the brightness also impose penalties on hide just as decreasing it imposes bonuses?
I don't see the point of augmentation 4. Can't you already alter the brightness at will?
Also, giving terms like "100% increase in brightness" doesn't quite help people playing since they have no idea how much brighter that would look.

Control Sound
I imagine people gathering large bundles of twigs and then throwing them next to enemies before detonating them.
As for the hardness augmentation, adamantine has a hardness of only 20, imaginative players will find many uses for this.

Convocation
Summon large rocks over people. Or better yet, find something denser.

Crystallize
I know you said not to combine with spells, but man, haunt shifting a victim of this power would be funny. Crystal Dragons for the lulz.