Author Topic: Erudite Build  (Read 5127 times)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Erudite Build
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »
Sources: all 3.5, Hyperconciousness

Old Human Necropolitan Erudite 20

Feats
1st   Spell to Power (Level)
1st   Assume Psicrystal (Bonus Erudite)
1st   Overchannel (Bonus Human)
1st   Imprint Stone (Bonus Erudite)
3rd   Talented
5th   Expanded Knowledge [Minor Creation, Psionic] (Bonus Erudite)
   -> 11th level Psychic Reformation -> Expanded Knowledge [Shadow Evocation]
   -> 17th level Psychic Reformation -> Expanded Knowledge [Shadow Evocation, Greater]
6th   Extend Power
9th   Link Power
10th   Expanded Knowledge [Shadow Conjuration] (Bonus Erudite)
   -> 17th level Psychic Reformation -> Expanded Knowledge [Shadow Conjuration, Greater]
12th   Craft Universal Item
15th   Psicrystal Containment
15th   Persistent Power (Bonus Erudite)
18th   Landlord
20th   Psionic Meditation (Bonus Erudite)

Notes:
- many powerstones for useful powers, used for buffing and utility
- Many powers and spells are Persisted once he hits 15th level.  With Overchannel and Psicrystal Containment, powers of up to 6th level can be persisted at level 20.
- Potential House Rule: any "Expanded Knowledge" feat means that manifesting that power doesn't count towards your unique powers per day.  Please let me know if you think this is overpowered, etc. 

In Epic:
Epic Manifestation
Improved Overchannel

Thoughts?

Thanks!,
David
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:21:45 AM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Erudite Build
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
That sounds like a very powerful house rule. It sucks having a tiny number of unique spells per day, but it's also what balances the fact that Erudites cast spontaneously from an unlimited list. I'm not sure that it would be broken, but I, for one, would utilize it quite thoroughly.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
Spell to Power ... doesn't work that way.
It let's you learn any Arcane spell the same way, the regular Erudite learns Psi- discipline powers.
Just google: wizards.com Mind's Eye and it'll pop up ... I think expanded classes 4.

I'd take the Elemental Envoy at 1st level, and retrain it away maybe at 6th level. EE rocks at 1st level, especially the earth one.
So, 5th level you'd "learn" Alter Self from the party Wizard.
And take Metamorphic Transfer feat at some point.

Can't help you with Hyperconcious.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
If you were talking to me, I meant unlimited list as in, they don't have a limited number of powers known. They can literally learn every spell and every power that there is. It would just take massive boatloads of experience and time.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
ooops, no I was addressing DavidWL.
You've got it right.
He was using feats, to learn powers that he could learn as part of the class feature.
No need for the feat slots to be used for that.
Use them for something better.

Feats for Outsider:
1) ... Imprint Powerstones
1) ... Elemental Envoy
3) ... Linked Power
5) ... Metamorphic Transfer (used via Alter Self)
6) ... Metamorphic Transfer
then whatever

I've never checked out what Undead forms are available to snag an (su) from at 5th level.
Expanded Knowledge would only be needed for a Spell to Power Erudite, if one of the off list psi- powers couldn't be done with an Spell.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
I assume he wanted those powers learned that way so he could use the house rule that Expanded Knowledge powers don't count for unique powers per day limits.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:11:02 AM »
Awaken DM Golem,

Negative Zero is correct - I wanted options that were powerful, but not too powerful, and, ideally, that increased my flexibility.  I've avoided metamorphic transfer, arcane fusion, etc. for this reason.  Ideally, there wouldn't even be too much shape changing cheese (I let alter self be in there, but note the ? ... I'd like a choice that wasn't in the alterself/polymorph/metamorphosis chain).

It's a fine line :)

Best,
David
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »
I'd say your best bet is to find powers and spells that had effects you could use in myriad different ways. Polymorph/metamorphosis, psionic dominate/charm, astral construct, time hop, psionic minor creation, fusion...

Think about how many ways you can use it, then use it.

I could easily make use of a high-level manifester who only had a single psionic power, and the power points to manifest it all day long.

Don't ask what you can do for your countryfor your powers. Ask what your powers can do for you.

As far as metamorphosis/etc goes, you don't have to use it for combat forms. It's great for utility and sneakage, as well.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:16:22 AM »
I'd say your best bet is to find powers and spells that had effects you could use in myriad different ways. Polymorph/metamorphosis, psionic dominate/charm, astral construct, time hop, psionic minor creation, fusion...

{stuff}

I agree with the sentiment - notice that I had specified generous usage of the shadow evocation/conjuration line of spells.

I like the polymorph line for mobility and stealth - but it seems so overused.  The creation line of spells, however, is just pure cool.  It will help in a reasonable way with a lot of things - I'll change the low level expanded knowledge to that!  At later levels, shadow conjuration can mimic it.

Awaken DM golem,

You are clearly right about the low-level awesomeness of Elemental Enjoy - I didn't think of that.  The idea would be to take "Elemental Envoy" at 1st level, and then retrain that to "Spell to Power" at 3rd or 5th level, once we have access to 1st or 2nd level spells.  Spell to Power is just dead weight at levels 1 and 2.  However, I'd like to avoid retraining (very option) in favor of Psychic Reformation (Core).  And I don't want to keep elemental envoy in the mid levels.  Thank you though - definitely a good suggestion.

Thanks all,
David
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:24:42 AM by DavidWL »

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »
Don't go for minor creation as a spell. Get it as a power. Shapers get it at level 1 and don't require any material components (ie, they can make stuff from nothing, which is far superior - AND it's level 1).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 02:41:44 PM »
Don't go for minor creation as a spell. Get it as a power. Shapers get it at level 1 and don't require any material components (ie, they can make stuff from nothing, which is far superior - AND it's level 1).

Yes, that's what I did in the first post - you are very right.

Best,
David

[/spoiler]