Author Topic: Optimizing Lady Vol (Eberron).  (Read 7951 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Optimizing Lady Vol (Eberron).
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
Yeah, it makes regular Contingency pale in comparison, since it lacks all of it's limiting factors :)
It's usually my standard choice for my level 12 feat if I'm building a mage :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
I know what it does. Just that since it was in response to Maze... The only flaw with Craft Contingent is the time and resources required. 1 day per 1k with double potion costs is actually fairly harsh for the big spells. Craft Contingent (9th level spell) comes out to be 15,300 gold for example.

While we're on this subject, what other spells are there of the no save, SR: Yes or save and still be screwed, SR: Yes categories?

Hm. DMG covers it, but DMG2 doesn't. Up to 14 is free, and since it's a ranged touch that's actually decent. +19 is +1 CR, and +24 is +2 CR. Of course this sucks horribly for non touch attacks. But we don't care about those.

4 spells of different schools... How about this for 9th level?

Split Ray, Chained Enervation. (Necromancy)

Split Ray, Chained Orb of Fire. (Conjuration)

Random +1 Power Word: Stun? (Enchantment)

Twinned, Maximized Scorching Ray? (Evocation)
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »
Looking good :)

If you want some more cheese, go with a Searing Spell/Split Ray/Twinned/Sudden Empowered/Sudden Maximized/Random +1 Scorching Ray ;)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:43:11 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »
I'm not going to do all that on a trap.

So back to some earlier questions:

Aside from Maze, what no save, SR: Yes or save and still be screwed, SR: Yes spells are there to be concerned with?

How does Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Incantrix 10/Wyrm Wizard 2/??? (Archmage?) 2 compare to say... Wizard 3 (Abjurer)/Master Abjurer 10/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7? The former would likely have Spontaneous Divination or something.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
Maybe you've already decided on your build, but I'd say ditch Half-Dragon for simple Draconic.  And if you don't want Lich (or Dry Lich) perhaps just Necropolitan with Evolved tacked on there once or twice.

Whatever you do, definitely consider giving her Divine Rank 0.  She does have thousands and thousands of worshippers after all!
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »
Maybe you've already decided on your build, but I'd say ditch Half-Dragon for simple Draconic.  And if you don't want Lich (or Dry Lich) perhaps just Necropolitan with Evolved tacked on there once or twice.

Whatever you do, definitely consider giving her Divine Rank 0.  She does have thousands and thousands of worshippers after all!

Well given that she is the child of a half dragon... Necropolitan might be worthwhile as that part is slightly less set in. Though really, since 4 CR of it is doing little I can always just treat it as CR 22 or 23 when the paper says 24.

I have considered Divine Rank 0. Ultimately that will depend on what the party does. Taking too long or whatever may mean she gets that.

Shame Morgan misses the fun. :evillaugh

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »
I'm not going to do all that on a trap.

So back to some earlier questions:

Aside from Maze, what no save, SR: Yes or save and still be screwed, SR: Yes spells are there to be concerned with?

How does Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Incantrix 10/Wyrm Wizard 2/??? (Archmage?) 2 compare to say... Wizard 3 (Abjurer)/Master Abjurer 10/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7? The former would likely have Spontaneous Divination or something.
Well, the former would obviously have Persistent Spell cheese for awesome buffing all day long, Spell Immunity, some extra senses via Mindsight and enough Metamagics to boost the hell out of your SoD's...

I've never actually played a IotSFV, so I can't comment that much on it, but how long will it's Veils last and will they provide as much protection as what you can get via Persistent Spells paired with Spell Immunity?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »
Well given that she is the child of a dragon...

Fixed that for you ;)

Also, agreed on the CR thing, we all know the CR system sucks.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 08:29:20 PM »
Well given that she is the child of a dragon...

Fixed that for you ;)

Also, agreed on the CR thing, we all know the CR system sucks.

Oh shit, how'd I miss that?

Veils... *checks*

Basically the Initiate is an alternate Abjuration focus. Incantrix is also an Abjuration focus.

Veils can be created as personal, area (15 radius for a medium creature) or a wall. The first two are 1 minute a level. The last is 10 minutes a level.

Then the seven veils (look as prismatic sphere layers for effects) which she can have two activated with one use of the warding. She has 4.

Then she has an easier time dispelling abjurations and makes her own abjurations harder to dispel.

The big things though I'd say is being able to bring up Wards as an Immediate action (some of which do block spells, as in ALL spells) and the 1/day Kaleidoscopic Doom which will seriously ruin any buffed creature's day.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »
Kaleidoscopic Doom is awesome, I'll give you that, just checked it :)
Immediate action stuff is easily done with Celerity ofcourse...

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
Kaleidoscopic Doom is awesome, I'll give you that, just checked it :)
Immediate action stuff is easily done with Celerity ofcourse...

I banned Celerity. That extends to NPCs.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »
Fair enough :)
Then it depends on how much of a defense your contingent spells can grant I guess...
Also, 2 more levels of Wyrm Wizard to add Wings of Cover perhaps?
Immediate action to block line of effect is sexy :D

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
Fair enough :)
Then it depends on how much of a defense your contingent spells can grant I guess...
Also, 2 more levels of Wyrm Wizard to add Wings of Cover perhaps?
Immediate action to block line of effect is sexy :D

Wings of Cover isn't on the ban list but might get abusive. It would fit, but losing a caster level for that? It's a second level spell for fuck's sake. Wand that shit. Better, Eternal Wand it.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
You can UMD it, just like Spell Immunity ;)
Then again, you still get 9th level spells and Practiced Spellcaster solves the CL issue :)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »
Greater Spell Immunity is a lot less efficient to get in item form. Mostly because it costs 25 times as much at minimum caster level.

Also, spell slots.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »
An enveloping pit, containing a spring-loaded 50' tower, each square of which contains a spell turret. 

Vol throws some cloth at the wall, makes an easy UMD check, and a pillar of interlocked skeletons slides out.  Eyes glittering, they begin casting in unison.

40 CL1 "invisible spell" magic missiles is a decent threat.  Choose the other 3 first level spells accordingly - if you can deal AoE negative energy damage, so much the better.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:53:17 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »
An enveloping pit, containing a spring-loaded 50' tower, each square of which contains a spell turret. 

Vol throws some cloth at the wall, makes an easy UMD check, and a pillar of interlocked skeletons slides out.  Eyes glittering, they begin casting in unison.

40 CL1 "invisible spell" magic missiles is a decent threat.  Choose the other 3 first level spells accordingly - if you can deal AoE negative energy damage, so much the better.

Ok, I only caught part of this. What the hell is an enveloping pit?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
Cheaper portable hole, from MIC.  Fifty feet deep, ten feet across, clerics of whatever god is the god of kobolds can open it at range as a swift action.  You need to be LE, LN, or NE to use it at all - the UMD is just for the ability to open it at range.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 02:26:50 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2008, 03:11:11 PM »

Yo mama...

[spoiler]sorry, sorry, it had to be said[/spoiler]
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »

Yo mama...

[spoiler]sorry, sorry, it had to be said[/spoiler]

:rollseyes

Cheaper and far superior Portable Hole. That's fucking awesome.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]