Author Topic: Cleric 20 casting for sale! Evil characters need not apply  (Read 2680 times)

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Cleric 20 casting for sale! Evil characters need not apply
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:19:13 AM »
Here's a trick that I think I've found that will allow you to purchase Cleric 20 spellcasting for a minimal investment of 36475gp.

Purchase a Thought Bottle, a Scroll of Gate and a Scroll of Celestial Channeling, Greater.
Use the scrolls (via spellcasting or UMD), summon and channel a Solar.
You now gain its Cleric 20 spellcasting, and store the spells into the Thought Bottle.
Dismiss the Solar.

When you start running low on spells, cast Gate and Celestial Channeling, Greater again. Rinse and repeat. Garnish and season as required. Enjoy.

PS. I wonder if there are any other ways to (ab)use Celestial Channeling? Comments/suggestions/feedback appreciated.
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Cleric 20 casting for sale! Evil characters need not apply
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
Can you really cast them? The thought bottle says "... but the spells in the bottle can then be retrieved at any later date to be prepared as normal."

Once the Celestial Channeling is over, you no longer have the Solar's spellcasting ability, so therefore you can no longer prepare the spells from the thought bottle.

Or am I missing something?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
If you were an artificer, could you UMD them?

If you were not an artificer, could you UMD them?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »

If you could UMD them, would you be an artificer?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »

If you could UMD them, would you be an artificer?

I would be an artificer, but not because I could UMD them.
[spoiler]I would be an artificer because no DM is going to let you buy a Thought Bottle--I'd have to make one myself.[/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »
Well, there are other crafters. Just none are as good. And I'm not sure if it'd work with Artificer due to the lack of spell slots to cast them from. Then again, I haven't looked at the Thought Bottle in detail. In any case I was trying to see if it was a factor of UMD or a factor of an Artificer specific class feature.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »
Well, there are other crafters. Just none are as good. And I'm not sure if it'd work with Artificer due to the lack of spell slots to cast them from. Then again, I haven't looked at the Thought Bottle in detail. In any case I was trying to see if it was a factor of UMD or a factor of an Artificer specific class feature.

If the spells are cast from the Thought Bottle, then an Artificer(or anyone else with high UMD) can mimic the spellcasting class feature of an appropriate level Cleric. If the spells are returned to your spell slots-then I suspect it'd be no-go unless the spells are on your class list.

Well...let's have a look. *opens Complete Arcane*

Alright, first it's prepared spells only.
"Any spell she puts into a thought bottle is expended as if she had cast it, but spells in the bottle can be retrieved at a later time to be prepared as normal."

Also, since "expended" and "empty" spell slots are different, and you can only prepare spells in empty spell slots AFAIK, this is nearly worthless. The only class that can truly benefit from this is...Archivists?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
Not at all. Expended as if you had cast it, meaning you can prepare more spells the next day, and cast from the thought bottle as needed.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »
I read the item description to mean that you don't actually cast spells from the thought bottle, but that you can prepare them from the thought bottle (sort of as you would from a spellbook).

Since you no longer have the spell slots in which to prepare spells after the channeling is over, you can't prepare the spells out of the bottle.

Actually, I think it would work as long as you do have spell slots of the appropriate level. So a Wizard could make use of this, but not, say, a Rogue with UMD. I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say in my first post instead of muddling it.

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:49:07 AM »
Hmmm... From the way I read it, you don't need the empty spells slots in order to prepare the spells. Empty spell slots enable you to prepare spells every day. The Thought Bottle allows you to prepare spells every day.

I guess it would be up to each DM to decide which interpretation is valid.
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction